It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrangler Alarm w/remote start
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:45 am 
LOST Addict

My girlfriend has a 2000 Wrangler TJ. She’s been looking into getting an alarm w/remote start for a few months now but I told her don’t go to those car alarm places they’ll rip you off; I’ll do it for you. Well winter is pretty much here and she asked me about the alarm… I wan to get it for her as part of her Christmas list. I’ve installed alarms in cars before but I wanted to know if there is a big difference in installing one with a remote start? I just started looking on eBay but there is a dime a dozen. What aftermarket alarm brands do you suggest I get? Any car alarm techs out their?

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you've installed alarms, one with a remote start wouldn't be much more work, just more connections. You'll have to tap into the ignition and crank wires, as well the brake pedal switch and tach signal. If you can't find a tach signal wire, directly wiring to an injector at the engine works; sounds like a pain but its fairly simple.
http://engines911.com/asdocs/2W-FM-LED-CMB-A-M(AS-6450)_wd_en_h450s200v100_070801.pdf

Keep in mind that if you have a factory immobilizer that uses RFID key, you'll need to add the appropriate transponder module. As far as I know, these can only be programmed once for a specific vehicle, so beware if you buy used.

I don't know if there's much difference between brands except for range and features, and keyfob prettiness :) , as long as its not defective; the quality of the installation will determine the reliability as much as anything. I went with a 2-way combo system from Autostart, no complaints.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.[/url]

It's still running...