It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: please advise
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:41 pm 
LOST Member

Just looking for opinions, Im on the market for a wrangler.... Im looking at 05-06 rubi's because I want the 6 speed transmission. I want opinion on whether or not to get an unlimited version.

What are the comparisons of a short wheelbase to a long wheelbase? Anything from appearance to ride (im not really concerned about ride but still) and off road ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you need space to haul cargo And passengers? If so, get the unlimited.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

typically just me or one other, very little cargo but i do move some things around from time to time from a ski shop but not enough to merit it being "large cargo" otherwise i wouldnt be looking at jeep wranglers id be looking at pickups :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Otto wrote:
typically just me or one other, very little cargo but i do move some things around from time to time from a ski shop but not enough to merit it being "large cargo" otherwise i wouldnt be looking at jeep wranglers id be looking at pickups :)

Go with the TJ and get a 2" reciever and a Hitch-Haul for those times you need to move extra stuff. The LJ has a nice ride, and nice payload area, but if you don't need it, don't get it. Short wheel base helps with breakover angle too. 6 spd has more power, but some don't like wheeling manuals (like my wife :cry: )

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

moose wrote:
Otto wrote:

Go with the TJ and get a 2" reciever and a Hitch-Haul for those times you need to move extra stuff. The LJ has a nice ride, and nice payload area, but if you don't need it, don't get it. Short wheel base helps with breakover angle too. 6 spd has more power, but some don't like wheeling manuals (like my wife :cry: )

x2, especially on the breakover angle...the LJ is a slug out on the trails til it either gets a TT or a lift of some sort, or both :lol: At least with the TJ, if you choose to keep it stock there will be less issues with the breakover angle...the LJ is MUCH more roomy as far as cargo and such though...its a catch 22 deal...

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 am 
LOST Member

The ride is definitely smoother but you need a bigger lift to compensate for the extra length. I'd personally get the unlimited because I like to take my family wheeling and need the room (I will be getting one in a year or two).

http://www.active.com/donate/teamglasam ... 8/RWaddell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I love my Unlimited. Everybody always talks about the wheelbase as a possible downside but think about this, it is only one inch longer than the Liberty. And why do so many of the hardcore rock crawlers stretch the wheelbase on their short wheelbase TJs when they do axle swaps? To me the length is just about right. Now the JK unlimited is too long in my opinion. Also besides the extra cargo room, you get a larger towing capacity (3500 lbs as opposed to a short wheelbase which is only 2000 lbs.) If you leave the rear seat in, it is so much nicer to be able to still have a full size cooler back there for those wheeling trips. I really can't see too many downsides to the unlimited. The only one I've found so far is with the hard top. It's freaking ridiculous to take off and put back on because it is so big and heavy. I don't know how much longer I will keep mine. We nearly cracked it in half trying to put it on this fall. If you're just going with the soft top though, I would definitely get the unlimited. After you get it you'll wonder why you even considered the short wheelbase.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 pm 
LOST Member

does this look lifted? I kinda think it is when I look at other stock rubis, I might have to make a trip to the springs to find out. (i want somethign totally stock if possible, its nearly impossible to find a manual rubicon that hasnt been modded or not in some awful color)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Otto wrote:
does this look lifted? I kinda think it is when I look at other stock rubis, I might have to make a trip to the springs to find out. (i want somethign totally stock if possible, its nearly impossible to find a manual rubicon that hasnt been modded or not in some awful color)

Looks to me like you got yourself a BL on there...

Here was my stock Rubi waaayyy back when without a BL or lift...

Here it was still "stock" but with the BL...

Looks like a BL to me... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

body lift of this sort consists of new mounts to the frame, correct? I might consider putting back on the stock mounts if thats possible and practical, as this jeep is probably as close as it gets to what im looking for. Would the stock mounts be easy to acquire through mopar or third party and is the job fairly cheap to get someone to do or doable by yourself? still all just a bunch of speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
LOST Member

If its a body lift using pucks, all you need to do is unbolt and remove the pucks. You will need the stock body bolts, grill supports and remove any transfer case brackets. Maybe raise the fan shrowd back to stock.
Not real hard to do but the body lift doesnt have anything to do with ride if thats your concern.

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

not concerned about ride at all, just dont need or want a body lift especially if it will be running stock sized tires for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

This is ours but we would cut it loose for $19,000 if you want it.... it's a 2006 rubi with 13,000 miles on it and a 6 speed.. extra rollbars around windshield (with grab handles) and over head..painted to match the jeep, cawl scoup..6 inch bushwhacker fender flares..new best top with tinted windows.. new wheels..8inch with 4 1/2 inch offset, and warn front bumper, warn rock rails.... lots of stuff.. never been offroaded... yet... this is completely stock ride height.. no spacers.. no BL.. i think the black one has atleast a BL.. prob. 2 inches..

Last edited by 2006 KJ on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:16 am 
I think that black one actually looks like it has a spacer lift. My boss's Sahara is sitting on a spacer lift and bald MT/R's right now and it sits about exactly like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Otto wrote:
body lift of this sort consists of new mounts to the frame, correct? I might consider putting back on the stock mounts if thats possible and practical, as this jeep is probably as close as it gets to what im looking for. Would the stock mounts be easy to acquire through mopar or third party and is the job fairly cheap to get someone to do or doable by yourself? still all just a bunch of speculation.

A BL consists of raised mounts that either completely replace the stock body mounts or, im my case with the JKS BL, they are put on TOP of the stock mounts. It is very easy to track down a set of OEM body mounts, but why bother just leave it IMO. Your prolly gonna wanna have one down the road anyhow so just keep it on there...my $.02 cents...

IF you do decide to replace it to stock the job is simple as hell and can be done within the hour if you have knowledge of what to do...took me only bout an hour to put mine on shouldnt take any longer to take it off...the hardest part are the two snubbers on the front grill, they take MUCH coaxin to get em in there :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm 
LOST Member

im just a bit particular about getting a vehicle thats been changed in any way from stock by anyone other than myself :twisted:

Post subject: Coin toss
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:30 am 
LOST Member

I guess it depends on what you want to do the most with your new rig... if you just want it for trails and rock climbing, go with the TJ. If it will be driven mostly on road with a few trips to the trails, go with the LJ. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything since it is used as a DD most of the time. Hope you can find what you are looking for, there are some low mileage Rubicons out there, it's just finding them!! :(

Flame Red 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0L, 6sp, dual tops, Amsoil ASL 5W30 engine oil and EAO42 filter, IPF 920hc head light conversion with PIAA Xtreme White plus bulbs, Sylvania Silverstar H3ST fogs, Armadillo front/rear bumper caps and pretty much loaded.A few pics of my rig. http://www.gwkweather.net/id5.html