It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires on non-lifted Wrangler UPDATE: W/BB Lift
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I know it's on here somewhere but I can't find it.
Will 31x10.5x15 Baja Claw Radials fit an unlifted 2000 Jeep Wrangler?
What's the biggest tires you can stuff on a Wrangler w/out rubbing?

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Last edited by Maximum Carnage on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tires on non-lifted Wrangler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 pm 
This member has been Banned

Maximum Carnage wrote:
I know it's on here somewhere but I can't find it.
Will 31x10.5x15 Baja Claw Radials fit an unlifted 2000 Jeep Wrangler?
What's the biggest tires you can stuff on a Wrangler w/out rubbing?

I think that they will fit
It will come down to the rim but if they do rub it will only be at full lock or max stuff
and if they rub at full lock then get some black steelies and that will stop that rub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:53 pm 
31s will fit, but they won't flex...you'll hit the flares and possibly rub the swaybar at full lock. budget boost that mofo...it depends on whether it's a Sahara/Rubicon or a Sport/SE/other

the Saharas and Rubis have a 1" spacer on top of the springs that allow for bigger rubber (245/75-16s and 30x9.50s) than the regular TJ's (225/75-15s or 215/75-15s)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:06 pm 

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
31s will fit, but they won't flex...you'll hit the flares and possibly rub the swaybar at full lock. budget boost that mofo...it depends on whether it's a Sahara/Rubicon or a Sport/SE/other

the Saharas and Rubis have a 1" spacer on top of the springs that allow for bigger rubber (245/75-16s and 30x9.50s) than the regular TJ's (225/75-15s or 215/75-15s)

Just a BB will not fix the rub at full stuff you will also need bump stop spacers

I ran 30 X 9.5's on my '02 sport with room to spare. They all but the rubi come the same hight ,the rubi gets heavier springs which makes it taller by an inch or there about
dont worry about the flairs they are plastic and the bend easy but are a mutha to rip off the worry is bending fenders which happens with stock bump stop spacers and 33's
I have wheeled with guys running a 2.5" lifts 33's and P/S flairs with OE bump stops
Low CG but good ground clearance

I run 2.5" lift 31 X 11.5 LTB's on OE wheels with no wheel spacers and only get slight rub on the front LCA at full lock
these are bigger OD than any other 31 on the market other than other swampers
I have only 1" over stock bump stop spacing and that is to save my shocks from bottoming out I would probably be ok as far as the tires go

but what do I know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Just FYI: Baja Claws are one of the smaller running tires I have come across. May want to double check the true size on that 31" tire... may be surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 am 
jason thompson wrote:
ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:

Just a BB will not fix the rub at full stuff you will also need bump stop spacers

I ran 30 X 9.5's on my '02 sport with room to spare. They all but the rubi come the same hight ,the rubi gets heavier springs which makes it taller by an inch or there about
dont worry about the flairs they are plastic and the bend easy but are a mutha to rip off the worry is bending fenders which happens with stock bump stop spacers and 33's
I have wheeled with guys running a 2.5" lifts 33's and P/S flairs with OE bump stops

I run 2.5" lift 31 X 11.5 LTB's on OE wheels with no wheel spacers and only get slight rub on the front LCA at full lock
I have only 1" over stock bump stop spacing and that is to save my shocks from bottoming out I would probably be ok as far as the tires go

but what do I know?

most BB kits I know of come with bumpstop extensions, and every time i've seen 32x1150s on OEM wheels on TJ's they've rubbed on the swaybar, and a couple the LCA, BB kit/2" lift or not. I was fairly sure that the Rubicon's extra height came from a factory-installed spacer like on the Sahara, but I know that the Sahara DOES have said spacer.

Note I also did NOT say that 30x9.50s wouldn't fit on a Sport/SE, I was just throwing out factory tire sizes for comparison's sake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the help.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:48 pm 

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
jason thompson wrote:
ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:

but what do I know?

most BB kits I know of come with bumpstop extensions, and every time i've seen 32x1150s on OEM wheels on TJ's they've rubbed on the swaybar, and a couple the LCA, BB kit/2" lift or not. I was fairly sure that the Rubicon's extra height came from a factory-installed spacer like on the Sahara, but I know that the Sahara DOES have said spacer.

Note I also did NOT say that 30x9.50s wouldn't fit on a Sport/SE, I was just throwing out factory tire sizes for comparison's sake

first some BB do and some dont come with bump stop spacers
second see pic ,from my TJ 31X11.5 LTB's which are wider than most 11.5's and 1/2" less OD than most 32's
on OE wheels and they dont rub the sway bar
also you had better go look at a Sahara I dont think they have any thing that any other TJ has and the Rubis have stiffer springs
You did say that the Rubis and Sahara could hold bigger rubber due to this "spacer"
read your own post
I dont want this to turn into a "pissing match" you dont know TJ's like I do and that is alright but dont try to correct me and deny what you said when you dont even know for sure your self

31X11.5 LTB's on OE wheels only rub on the LCA at full lock
all you need is 1" of bump stop spacer over stock
proof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
jason thompson wrote:
first some BB do and some dont come with bump stop spacers
second see pic ,from my TJ 31X11.5 LTB's which are wider than most 11.5's and 1/2" less OD than most 32's
on OE wheels and they dont rub the sway bar
also you had better go look at a Sahara I dont think they have any thing that any other TJ has and the Rubis have stiffer springs
You did say that the Rubis and Sahara could hold bigger rubber due to this "spacer"
read your own post
I dont want this to turn into a "pissing match" you dont know TJ's like I do and that is alright but dont try to correct me and deny what you said when you dont even know for sure your self

31X11.5 LTB's on OE wheels only rub on the LCA at full lock
all you need is 1" of bump stop spacer over stock
proof

My intent wasn't to get into a pissing match, and no, I don't know TJ's as well as you do...I checked, and you're 100% correct about the Rubicon. I'd assumed the Rubi and Sahara got their height the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This subject is no where near as cut and dry as people are making it sound. It depends on the year of TJ, whether it came stock with a hard top and many other factors. The early years Rubis sat higher, later years they did not. Like I say there are a ton of factors that changed the spring rates from year to year, its not cut and dry.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 pm 
LOST Member

Just go and get a 1" Daystar Body Lift. You will eventually do it anyway. I did it on mine for extra clearance. You will be amazed at how much only one inch makes. (That last sentence just doesn't sound right, sorry.) :lol:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:32 pm 

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:

My intent wasn't to get into a pissing match, and no, I don't know TJ's as well as you do...I checked, and you're 100% correct about the Rubicon. I'd assumed the Rubi and Sahara got their height the same way.

Normally i would leave this alone, and i'm not trying to dog you... BUT it is hard for me to watch bad information get passed around. The sahara and sport are the same jeep. The 30x9.50's are part of an up-graded tire and rim package (and some times meant D44 and discs). Really the only thing a sahara is vs a se or sport is it is a dressed up sport with all the options. Better seats all the features and 1" wider painted flares, thats all. There is NO 1" spacer that ever came stock on any TJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

I ran 31x10.5x15 MTRs on my unlifted 98 tj sport for a while on 15X8 Soft 8s with 4" backspacing, No rub on anything anywhere. Even with sway bar disconnected I stuffed the front and the tire just cleared the front fender and fit tightly into the wheel well. Never had any issues in the rear either. Maybe my TJ was a freak aberration. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No need for a lift...pissin match thread :roll:

Get the tires...mount em on 15x8s with a 3.75 BS...pull the rubber/plastic liner outta the rear fender well...trim the flares as need be...tires will fit.

Also whoever mentioned the BL, good call. Very easy to install and much smarter way of gaining a little more clearance for tires than a BB IMO. BBs will come off I dont care what you say your goals for your jeep are. You will wanna go bigger at some point and when you do it will have been a waste to buy the BB...

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

kj in a tight spot wrote:

Get the tires...mount em on 15x8s with a 3.75 BS...pull the rubber/plastic liner outta the rear fender well...trim the flares as need be...tires will fit.

Also whoever mentioned the BL, good call. Very easy to install and much smarter way of gaining a little more clearance for tires than a BB IMO. BBs will come off I dont care what you say your goals for your jeep are. You will wanna go bigger at some point and when you do it will have been a waste to buy the BB...

While i do agree with you my BB has been a great start up lift. It only cost me $150 and i am sure i can get $75 out of it when i am done. It has also allowed me to run bigger tires and tougher trails, and in the process figure out which direction i wanted to go with my jeep. SO... to me there is no waste in a BB, it is a great jump start.

BUT that is just my opinion, BTW what's up i'm the new guy. :D

East Coast Trail Raiders
Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 pm 

incubusmike wrote:
I ran 31x10.5x15 MTRs on my unlifted 98 tj sport for a while on 15X8 Soft 8s with 4" backspacing, No rub on anything anywhere. Even with sway bar disconnected I stuffed the front and the tire just cleared the front fender and fit tightly into the wheel well. Never had any issues in the rear either. Maybe my TJ was a freak aberration. :?

Not an aberration
different rims ,back spacing thus you could run 31's with no rub
also note I run 31 X11.5 LTB's which are bigger than ANY 31 on the market and close to most 32's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:10 pm 

Not really that bad to go BB
you can always go with some 2" OME springs and some shocks for a 4" kit and new control arms
break lines and track bars and you have your self 4" short arm lift that will easily clear 33" and no body lift need
now granted the shocks from the BB will be useless
but that is just me
but hell I have about 3.25" of lift from springs spacers and rear spring relocation
I plan to run a 1.25" BL and tube fenders to make room for 34 X 10.5 LTB's
along with 4.56 gears and ...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jason thompson wrote:

you can always go with some 2" OME springs and some shocks for a 4" kit and new control arms
break lines and track bars and you have your self 4" short arm lift that will easily clear 33" and no body lift need
but that is just me
but hell I have about 3.25" of lift from springs spacers and rear spring relocation

This is all true man, I just think that a lot of people get over excited to lift their jeep and dont wait when they have more money to do it right the first time ya know? Seen it sooooo many times. If you honestly are happy with a BB then more power to you. Some of us like fire roads, some of us like boulders, dont really matter we are all wheelin and all havin a good time right? :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm 

jason thompson wrote:

but that is just me

This is all true man, I just think that a lot of people get over excited to lift their jeep and dont wait when they have more money to do it right the first time ya know? Seen it sooooo many times. If you honestly are happy with a BB then more power to you. Some of us like fire roads, some of us like boulders, dont really matter we are all wheelin and all havin a good time right? :wink: 8)

this is so very true
I have spent twice what I would have had I done it right the first time
Thinking about it I could have bought a 4.5" Nth* long arm kit for what I have spent on my junk and still have money in the bank
I should preach "forget about suspension and buy lockers"
this was the best money I spent because with lockers F&R you can drive until you roll over or bottom out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jason thompson wrote:
I should preach "forget about suspension and buy lockers" this was the best money I spent because with lockers F&R you can drive until you roll over or bottom out

Bingo 8) Save for the right lift that you can maybe predict wanting/having down the road and spend the time to properly build the rig with other essentials. A 6" lift on a TJ with 37s and "cool" lookin bolt on stinky poo aint gonna go as far as a stockish TJ with front/rear lockers, gearing, and maybe a Stak or Atlas in there :twisted: