It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: questions on yj axels
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Im ready to put and soa lift on a 89 yj. I really dont wanna get new axels but from what im reading looks like im ganna have to go to a dana 44 or something. Will the axel upgrade be good that RRO offers with the stock axels or sould i go with new ones. I will be running somewhere either from 35 inch tires to 38 depending on which way i go lift wise. It will be used off road alot im not even getting tags for the road. If anyone has any advise let me know

Thanks,
Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:29 pm 
This member has been Banned

If the YJ has stock axles and you plan to run 35's then you for sure need to get rid of the dana 35
most people do a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer because they came with disk breaks
and if you are doing SOA any way then you will have out the welder and grinder out so this is an easy swap
The front dana 30 is fine with 35's but not much more and the same for the 8.8
now if you plan to go bigger than 35's you will need to start thinking dana 60's

Now you know that you will be regearing so I would go 4.88 if it is going to be a trail mostly rig
and also go for Detroits front and rear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And don't forget the Chromoly inner/outer axles for that front D30,unless you are super gental on the skinny pedal.

Post subject: Re: questions on yj axels
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

EngleCRD wrote:
Im ready to put and soa lift on a 89 yj. I really dont wanna get new axels but from what im reading looks like im ganna have to go to a dana 44 or something. Will the axel upgrade be good that RRO offers with the stock axels or sould i go with new ones. I will be running somewhere either from 35 inch tires to 38 depending on which way i go lift wise. It will be used off road alot im not even getting tags for the road. If anyone has any advise let me know

Thanks,
Brandon

If you plan on wheelin hard and alot, like you say, then ditch the D30 and do it right the first time bud 8) You need to get somethin to handle the rigors and abuse of offroadin with 35"+ meats. I wheel with 35s on a D44 front/rear and once I get my chromoly shafts in it will be a killer combo and pretty much unstoppable. However when I do eventually upgrade to bigger meat, which will happen :twisted: , I am lookin into 60s for sure. Pick and Pulls have a BUNCH of Ford Explorers like Jason said to grab a 8.8 outta but they also got a lot of older F350s which came with HP44 and full floater 60s out back. That combo is a killer one to run 35s all day long and bigger than that easily. That being said, do something within your budget and always realize that you WILL want to mod more in the future so it may be smart to wait longer and go big or go home the first time round to make sure its done right and you save yourself some cash. O and stay away from RRO...shaddy customer service and products :roll:

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!