It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deadening a wranger(can it be done)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, so i just bought a 2006 liberty with all these wonderful plans to lift it and make it a trail rig.. well my wife latched on to it and said it was her jeep now. lol so i am thinking about going the wranger route.. My question is, with a wrangler i would be adding a 4" lift, and bigger tires (a/t's) is it possible to get a good sounding stereo in a jeep wranger? music is a big part of my vehicle and i would get another liberty if a wranger cant be deadened. I would want to some how get my 6 1/2 inch dls components in the front, and make a quick release for my 12" box in the back. I just didn't know if you could deaden a hard top jeep enough to try or not... anyone do this ????

2006 Libery sport 4x4
DLS components, eD amps, apline H/U, tsunami wiring
OME life/ rancho struts/shocks--coming next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 pm 
This member has been Banned

If you like good sounding music then forget about a TJ
they are noisy ,they are Jeeps
I had a hard top and it was not as bad as the soft top but by no means as quiet as the KJ

I dont really care about sound quality but I like it loud and some what clear
I plan to run 4 6X9's in the truck wedge boxes mounted some where and power them with a kicker amp I have
I think it is a 200W X 2 amp so it should be loud enough to hear with the top down and and going 65
I have a 6" base tube and MTX 6"ers in the over head sound bar with blown 4X6" plates up front
I will say NO WAY on the 6's in the dash 5.25 maybe
also there is little to no room behind the back seat and I need room for tools and parts so base tube must go
keep that in mind if you want to put a 12"er back ther I know guys who have 10's but I think that room is an issue for a 12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

yeah well i have all this money invested in great sq gear for my scion that i don't want wasted... i was just wondering if you got a few gallons of liquid deadener like edead, and coated it really good then stuck on the brytle based mat all over the floor doors sides firewall hood and then the same to the top with egg crate over that if it would quite it up?

2006 Libery sport 4x4
DLS components, eD amps, apline H/U, tsunami wiring
OME life/ rancho struts/shocks--coming next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you want to wheel get a wrangler, if you want a good sound system that can be half way secure get some thing else. Personally I don't care much about the sound system in the Wrangler, thats not why I have it. I have a hard top on mine and its still noisey and I can get into it in less than 5 seconds with a coat hanger................................

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

I think the sound system in my rubicon sounds good, I added a alpine head unit and with out the doors and top Ive never had a problem hearing it.

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

I have an alpine unit, with pioneer's in the soundbar and up front, backed up by a 12inch MTX and it sounds a lot better than my wife's liberty. You can make 'em sound good if done right

btw, I only have the soft top and it sounds fine on the highway too

'03 TJ X with 32's and other doodads
'04 Columbia Edition KJ
'78 GMC K25 beast
'06 Yamaha 450 kodiak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stock overhead speakers sound just fine to me. I can hear it over ANY noises with doors and top off. No need to waste money on useless mods such as sound deadening material (just IMO dont hate) when it will sound just fine with stock units. With your upgraded speakers and such it will sound much better than stock which was already excellent for me IMO. Save the money and spend it on mods used for wheelin, not for mall crusin :lol: :wink:

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You need this stuff

http://www.lizardskin.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:29 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 99 TJ and I saw the biggest difference in noise when I had a Line-x liner installed. As Jason pointed out, it is a jeep and they just aren't made for a totally quiet ride. The liner did deaden the tub a lot, and it really reduced the road/tire noise. I really didn't realize how much until I reinstalled my hard top just how much quieter it had become. I have thor soundwedges in the back and they are much louder and clearer than before.

I have not done anything to the hardtop nor to I plan to, it just isn't worth it. If I did anything it would be to slow the heat loss more than noise. Go check out Jeepsunlimited.com and do some searches. There have been a few guys that have done some insulation modifications that may answer your needs too.

I also have installed 5.25" speakers in the dash. I don't think you can get 6" in there with the factory dash unless you do some major modifications. I made some brackets and put some baffles behind the 5s and it was a nice improvement over the factory 4x6s.

Hope it helps,