It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99 TJ, No Gauges.... Intermitent
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 99 TJ my son recently picked up has a strange intermittent lack of gauges. Vehicle sat for a few months and had a dead batt when i got it. Jump started it and noticed gauges not working, couple days later I stuck a red top battery in it and started it noticing the gauges were then working, moved it in my driveway, parked it, removed red top batt and bought a new batt for it yesterday, installed it, started it and no gauges again...... Ugh. I Hate elecrical problems..... Fuses all look fine, 139900 miles, 4.0L/Auto, full gauge package; Alt, oil press, temp, fuel, tach, spedo, None working now.

Any idea of what to check next that might be a common problem regarding this condition on a 99 TJ?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like your, I mean his TJ knows a good battery when it sees one. I never ran into any problems like this with either of my TJs, 97 or 98. Sorry. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

Check grounds for the gauges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Neal wrote:
Check grounds for the gauges

x2

Post subject: TJ Dash Issues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just a thought, i had a similar problem on a 98 TJ several years ago. Asked around on the JU forum and someone suggested hitting the dash, really... apparently the wiring harness on the older TJ's are to short and can start to pull the dash connection apart... so i gave the dash a good shove inward and i never had an issue again.

Hope this helps
Chris

ARB Bull Bar, KC Daylighters, Rebuilt Warn MX6085 w/125' Synthetic line, 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer STT & Moabs

Post subject: Re: TJ Dash Issues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

clday25 wrote:
Just a thought, i had a similar problem on a 98 TJ several years ago. Asked around on the JU forum and someone suggested hitting the dash, really... apparently the wiring harness on the older TJ's are to short and can start to pull the dash connection apart... so i gave the dash a good shove inward and i never had an issue again.

Hope this helps
Chris

I think you might have something there. According to some searching on another forum, I found it is a common problem on 99-00 TJ's. The gauge cluster comes loose and shorts out from where it plugs into the dash. I will try pushing it back into place this afternoon and report back.
THanks!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal