It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: clayton lift for 2 door jk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 am 
LOST Newbie

before i get a lift for my jk, i've been reading as much as i can on what's out there. need some input on clayton lifts. good,bad?
thanks

35" km2's on 17" blackrock soft 8's
5.13 gears with front axle sleeved
a lot jks stuff
shrockworks sliders
stock front stubby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 am 
LOST Addict

I have heard great things about Clayton but never used any of their stuff. So without personal experience, I'm not sure how useful my opinion is. I thought I heard they do lifetime guarantees on their long arm kits or at least the arms or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:44 pm 

I've heard great things about Clayton for the JK's. Uber expensive though! How much are you looking to lift, what size tires, type of wheeling, DD use, and budget should really narrow done the choices.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

35's for now and maybe 37's when i get bored! :D everyday driver and almost every weekend wheelin'

35" km2's on 17" blackrock soft 8's
5.13 gears with front axle sleeved
a lot jks stuff
shrockworks sliders
stock front stubby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:18 pm 

You'll want at least a 3-4" lift then, unless you plan on running high clearance flares. Depends on brands, some run taller than others. With the JK's you don't need to go to a long arm lift until you hit about 6". The stock geometry is real good, so unless you are going real tall, you don't NEED to go long arm. If you stay short arm, check out Zone Offroad, they and BDS are the same company, BDS the flashier kits, Zone the more basic ones. A 4" lift is under 600 shipped.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 pm 

Also... Keep in mind with a 2 door going that high you may have some driveline angle issues. IIRC a 2 door is good to about 3" before it comes an issue. secondly, Manual or Auto? If auto, I believe you will need a new front driveshaft with over 2.5" of lift.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

i know 2 people with TJ rubi's that have clayton long arm kits and they both had real bad death wobble and bump steer... we put in a Rubicon Express long arm in our TJ rubi and it drives like a cadillac.. it was a great kit and i would suggest it to anyone.

we have a 4.5in long arm and run 35's.. for you.. if you get a 4.5 in long arm (dont know what's out there for JK's) i would run 37's. that's the nice thing about JK's :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 am 

2006 KJ wrote:
i know 2 people with TJ rubi's that have clayton long arm kits and they both had real bad death wobble and bump steer... we put in a Rubicon Express long arm in our TJ rubi and it drives like a cadillac.. it was a great kit and i would suggest it to anyone.

we have a 4.5in long arm and run 35's.. for you.. if you get a 4.5 in long arm (dont know what's out there for JK's) i would run 37's. that's the nice thing about JK's :D

I loved my RE kit for my TJ too, however there have been a large number of issues with there JK kits, both the RE brand and the rebranded Mopar version. Conversely there has been quite a few rave reviews of the Clayton lifts.

Nice thing about JK's is the ability to run large tires. 33's with just a leveling kit in front. With a 2" kit you can fit 35's. 37's on a 3.5 lift, and folks are running 40's on the 4.5-5" lifts. High clearance flares, or tube fenders give @ 1.5" of additional clearance. So with a 3/4" puck up front and a set of fenders you can run 35's with no lift!

Jeep Tech Files