It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats the best Lift for 08 JK to run 35s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:08 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

A friend called tonight to have me order everything to lift his new 08 JK, he is not a 4 WD person at all, always had VW bugs and the like, suddenly he is sending me pictures of JKs with 35s and 37s and wants his to look like that, From what I gather his is a 4 door Sahara with automatic
so suggestions with what everyone has found to work well
1) for lift guessing 3/4 inch or does he need that much ?
2) wheels, backspacing and width ( he doesn't like the wheels that came on it)
3) size tires, whats working well ( 35s) without regearing right away ( unless I can talk him into it, by the way what ratio comes in them?)
He is putting 2500 into my account to start ordering everything next week ( unless his wife finds out he said :wink: )

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Whats the best Lift for 08 JK to run 35s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:45 pm 

tommudd wrote:
A friend called tonight to have me order everything to lift his new 08 JK, he is not a 4 WD person at all, always had VW bugs and the like, suddenly he is sending me pictures of JKs with 35s and 37s and wants his to look like that, From what I gather his is a 4 door Sahara with automatic
so suggestions with what everyone has found to work well
1) for lift guessing 3/4 inch or does he need that much ?
2) wheels, backspacing and width ( he doesn't like the wheels that came on it)
3) size tires, whats working well ( 35s) without regearing right away ( unless I can talk him into it, by the way what ratio comes in them?)
He is putting 2500 into my account to start ordering everything next week ( unless his wife finds out he said :wink: )

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks

1.) A 3/4" lift (leveling lift) will allow 33's only. To run 35's you need a 2.5-3" lift. A BB puck spacer lift will allow it, most 2.5" spring lifts actually net you more than 3". Of course the best would be OME... :D . Heather at ALL J's has a pretty good deal on JK OME HD lifts. there are a lot cheaper versions out there though which aren't bad at all, but they don't have the ride quality of OME either.
2.) To run 35's you will either need new wheels or spacers. For the little bit extra 30-40 bucks per wheel, I would just get those, vice the potential issues with running spacers. for 35's on a 8" rim, you need 4.5" of backspacing. The stock rims/backspacing is only good for a 10.50 tire, so your limited to a 33 pretty much. Of course 5 on 5 blot pattern.
3.) With an Auto, he will have to regear, period, sorry... Nature of the engine. It has pretty good power and torque, but it isn't where you really want it, and you will definitely feel it with the big meats. Most Auto's have to go to 5.12's after going to 35's. Manuals normally only go to 4.88's. 35 tires will be 315/70's on 17's, the rubber itself of course is personal opinion, and type of wheeling. For MT's Cooper STT are great an quiet, Nitto Mud Grapplers are even better, and Loud! BFG KM2's, ProComp Xtreme MT's, Trxus MT's are very good in that size also. AT's...BFG TA/KO, or any other All terrain that you would consider running that is made in that size. Rubber will suck up more than half the budget that he gave you though.

All that said, check out 4WheelParts.com I think they are running specials on Procomp Rims and Tires.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:04 pm 

Thanks for all the great info, no one had asked me about doing a lift on a JK yet so never really looked at what was available, I knew it would be more but hes just throwing 2500 to me to get things rolling, my bill will be quite a bit by itself! :twisted:

So Thanks again now the fun begins :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:14 pm 

post up pics here as you go. My parts are arriving now, darn weather has slowed everything down up here.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:59 pm 

Tom, Rough Country is having a special on their JK lifts. Christmans sale, good for today only. IIRC 220 for 2.5" spring lift. RC makes a pretty good JK lift too.

Jeep Tech Files