It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CJ5 rebuild
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:39 am 
LOST Member

Monday starts the "offical: start of the 81' CJ5 rebuild. New carb, lift, tires, wheels, body panels, rear main seal....

Looking forward to posting pics along the way.

Here is the starting pics....

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

8)

What kinda carb you putting in?

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

I ended up getting a Weber K490. Everything else was at least another month wait from the manufacturer. I have read some good reviews and I will need any extra horse power I can get :D

Will be installing it on Tuesday, possibly monday night.

Here is the link for it...I managed to get free shipping because no one could get anything else..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51312_51_07.htm

Carbs and Lift kits are really hard to find for the CJ5 right now. Sounds like Superlift and Black diamond are in financial troubles, Pro Comp, Rancho, and Skyjacker have parts on backorder, and OEM is just too $$$$. Ended up with a Rusty's 2.5" lift. It was pretty reasonably priced too.

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I love the old renegade decal's, nice CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

the build is going good today. Got the tires mounted ($22.00 total for all 4 @ Walmart, $110.00 @ discount tire :x ).

Installed the new rear shocks and leaf springs. Added about 4" of lift, the old ones were a little saggy..

Gutted pass side rear wheel well and started fabrication of new one.

Removed roll bar.

The best part...bolted the new carb on... it started and ran better than new on the first TRY :shock: :shock:

Pics will follow soon......not at the normal home computer so its a pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm 
LOST Member

Saturday I plan on getting this post updated, just got back to WI today and finally have internet access !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

Here we go.
Did the all the work at my parents house in IL where the CJ has been mostly garage kept since about 1987. I drove the CJ in high school as my first car, so it has been in the family for a long time. The motor (GM 151)was rebuilt by my dad and I back in 1995. The frame has 55K original miles total.

Day 1, 0700 start time. :D

Started with the new carb install. The old OEM Rochester Verajet has seen some better days, and the electronic choke was shot. Went with a new Weber K 490 replacement and a new inline fuel filter.

The CJ started right up and ran / idles awesome. Probably better than ever...there was a problem with the throttle cable linkage, due to the new linkage pulling at an odd angle..as shown below. Weber is working on a fix, but we will prob fab a new bracket.

Next, the new Super Swamper LTB bias tires went on some new Crager 8's. Went with 31x11.5x15 to maintain horsepower, and help with overall handling since no power steering or brakes. The Walmat mounted and balanced all 4 tires for $22.00 TOTAL. Walmart is the devil :twisted: :twisted:

Next went removal of the rusted out floor boards and pass side panels. All had seen better days. Thanks to my Dad's Plasma cutter from work, all went well and quick :D

The next step was the install of the new Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift. The Rusty's on my KJ is doing good, so I figured why not. It was a good value and the leafs are millitary wrapped as well. The old springs were shot, and ended up with a total of about 4" total lift.

To end up the day we started removing the old front suspension.

End time 1900 hours. Long day, but got a lot done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

Day 2. 0730 start time.

Finished up front lift install. Went well, and again ended up with about 4" total lift. The front disconnects were about 3" too short for the sway bar, and will have to order new ones. The new brake lines were long enough.

Next did the side body panel install. Welded the new panels in and sealed all new gaps and over-laps with polyurethain cauk. Welds then sanded down and painted with primer for now..

That pretty much summed up day 2. Ended about 1700.

Last edited by jeepmedic on Sat May 30, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

Day 3. Even got the wife to help.. :shock:

Prepped the inside of the body with grinder and acetone for application of Herculiner. This stuff stinks and it is important to have proper ventilation or you'll get HIGH :?

Used about 3/4 gallon to make to total of 2 coats. Looks very nice and will hopefully last a long time.

Next went install of new rear bumper. Bought a Rugged Ridge 3" tube bumper with an integrated in 2" hitch. Direct bolt on and went well. Much more protection than stock bumperettes! Had to remove old welded on hitch attachment (painted grey in the middle).

Thats all for this time !!

Going back in July 2nd to finish and hopfully new paint as well. The I hope to bring the CJ back to WI and put it to the test :D :D

Thanks for reading !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Nice progress! And in a few days time too - good job :D

When are you going to go try it ? If you're coming back down to finish it off maybe we could have a CJ play date at the cliffs :twisted:

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:42 pm 
LOST Member

Hopefully will finish the first week of July. So far will be back on 7/2-7/4, but will prob not have much time. Have to go to the Taste of Chicago on the 3rd....tradition for the last 12 years.

I would be up for a trial run at the cliffs for sure when it's done !!! Not sure exactly when though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:08 am 
LOST Member

Wow you're plugging right along. That's awesome progress.