It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A friend of mine sent me a link to a dealer selling a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 28,000 miles. Impact Orange / Dark Slate Gray. Auto trans. Lift. (size unknown). 9500lb Warn Winch and ARB Diff Lockers front & rear. Asking price = $19,895.

I'm not considering trading in the KJ. This would be a second daily driver.

I think the color would grow on me? I have yet to see this Jeep in person. Adding custom paint scallops, flames, or some type of painted graphic might be in order?

I was able to view the CaFax on this. It came back with 2 owners, dealer service and detailed maintenance records. Nothing negative.

This dealer is 60 miles from me. Anyway, anyone have a opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:51 pm 
LOST Addict

That Impact Orange is sexy 8)

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:58 pm 
LOST Member

callaway wrote:
That Impact Orange is sexy 8)

I too really like this color. I was looking at a LJ Rubicon that was this color. I wish it was built, cost, and had the same mileage as the one you have pictured, because it would now be in my garage :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I guess a road trip this Saturday might be in order. What the heck, it may be worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:22 am 
LOST Member

oddball wrote:
I guess a road trip this Saturday might be in order. What the heck, it may be worth it?

Sweet, road trip!

I am by no means a TJ expert, but if you want to wheel it seriously make sure it doesn't have a Dana 35 rear axle. I'm also on a local jeep forum and the majority on there have TJ's and there are a lot of posts about blown up D35's. :shock:

Just my 13 cents :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am 
LOST Addict

I'd rather buy a cheaper not built one and build it, but that is just my personal preference. Looks really nice, but does it have beefier axles or the stock ones? My buddy bought a Used Rubicon loaded to the hilt, and I mean loaded, for just over 19K.
Stock gearing?
What other upgrades?
That is low miles, but for 19K it needs to be pretty darn built.
What kind of lift?
If the axles are stock, even with those lockers, I'd pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1) Very nice looking Jeep
2) No idea what they go for, but I'd probably have to go with Inc and say buy stock and improve it yourself. Much more fun, you get new upgraded items, and you know a little more about the history. Unless this is a remarkable deal considering the current build (which I have no idea).
3) Very nice looking Jeep!

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Received a email today from the internet sales department at the dealership.

According to the Service Dept; 4" Teraflex suspension, 1" body lift. Tires are new. According to previous owner's sales receipts, winch is 8 months old, and both ARB Lockers were purchased 16 months ago and are in perfect working order. The sales lady also remarked in her email that the interior looks brand new. No rips, stains or imperfections to be seen anywhere inside.

Inc; that Rubicon your friend bought sounds like a good deal. You didn't mention milage? from what I've seen for sale in my area, there are no Rubicon's that cheap. Not in above average / excellent condition anyway. On a side note, I am only looking at automatic trans. During my internet searches, I've discovered manual trans wrangler's (especially rubicons) go for much less than auto trans equipped models.

As for axles and diff's - if I were to blow one, I'd replace it with a aftermarket Dana 44 (most likely).

Which reminds me, thanks eyehatetofu for the heads-up on D35's.

I sent another email asking what about tire size and axle models both front & rear. They haven't replied yet.

Oh yeah, get this - To my amazement, the sales lady mentioned I could schedule a "no obligation" test drive at the dealership, my home, or my place of work anytime within the next 10 days. She knows I am approx 60 miles from the dealership in a western suburb of Chicago. I've never heard of such a thing.

EDIT: Inc I find it ironic you would pass just on stock axles? There are many TJ's out there wheeling with stock axles. But what I find especially ironic is that you and everyone else who owns a KJ has wheeled or now wheels on some cheap lame*** axles. Anyway, axle upgrades could be a future mod if I were to purchase this Jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any D35 with 33"+ tires and sees off pavement use will sooner or later break the D35,most the axle shaft and a locker will accelerate this.

Maybe we will see pics of that one in the link below.............
http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I guess I'd have to upgrade if that happened. Kind of like you, Inc and other's have done with the Kj D30a - no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm 
LOST Member

If it is a Sport is will be a D30 front and a D44 rear. I think 20K is a bit pricey, maybe 17 or 18Kish.

Even in a Rubicon the axles are they are still only a D44w/D30 outers up front and a D44 in the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MidnightLiberty wrote:
If it is a Sport is will be a D30 front and a D44 rear. I think 20K is a bit pricey, maybe 17 or 18Kish.

My thoughts as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MidnightLiberty wrote:
If it is a Sport is will be a D30 front and a D44 rear.

You're obviously a guy who knows his Sport Wranglers. And fwiw, the BFG MT's are 35x12.5 R15 LT.

I'm undecided about this but I appreciated all the opinions given here. Although I must admit I was hoping a couple of people would have replied with explanations to their opinions. Not important. We're suppose to get snow storms here all weekend so I may not go to see this Jeep over said weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:48 pm 
LOST Member

oddball wrote:
MidnightLiberty wrote:
If it is a Sport is will be a D30 front and a D44 rear.

You're obviously a guy who knows his Sport Wranglers. And fwiw, the BFG MT's are 35x12.5 R15 LT.

I'm undecided about this but I appreciated all the opinions given here. Although I must admit I was hoping a couple of people would have replied with explanations to their opinions. Not important. We're suppose to get snow storms here all weekend so I may not go to see this Jeep over said weekend.

If you can get it a few $$ less than go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:53 am 
LOST Addict

oddball wrote:
Inc; that Rubicon your friend bought sounds like a good deal. You didn't mention milage? from what I've seen for sale in my area, there are no Rubicon's that cheap. Not in above average / excellent condition anyway. On a side note, I am only looking at automatic trans. During my internet searches, I've discovered manual trans wrangler's (especially rubicons) go for much less than auto trans equipped models.

As for axles and diff's - if I were to blow one, I'd replace it with a aftermarket Dana 44 (most likely).

EDIT: Inc I find it ironic you would pass just on stock axles? There are many TJ's out there wheeling with stock axles. But what I find especially ironic is that you and everyone else who owns a KJ has wheeled or now wheels on some cheap lame*** axles. Anyway, axle upgrades could be a future mod if I were to purchase this Jeep.

I bought my KJ as a family jeep and plans changed. The KJ's rear axle is a much better option over a D35. The POS D30a is now gone on my KJ as you may have noticed. :wink:

My point is, the amount of money the owner is asking is way more than I'd be willing to pay for one with stock axles, even with ARBs. Upgrading axles can be a big chunk of money so if your willing to spend for the upgraded axles after you bust the "Turdy5", then buy the jeep. Tons of guys do wheel TJs with stock axles, and tons of guys break axles and gears with big tires and those stock axles.

Just because it is a sport, does not mean it has a D44 rear end either. Neither of my TJ sports had 44 rears. If it is an unlimited, then yes all of them had 44 rear ends, but not all basic sports had the 44.

If you want to upgrade the axles, then that would be great, but for $19K, I wouldn't want to have to upgrade the whole axle, I wouldn't mind upgrading to alloy or chromoly shafts or adding lockers, but not the entire axle for that amount of $. I wouldn't have gone with a D30 on my jeep if the previous owner hadn't put 3K into and built it up as much as any 30 can be. He sold it to me for dirt cheap so it was a steal and a half that I couldn't pass up. I wouldn't put much money into a stock D30 and there is no way in the world I'd put money into a 35.

My buddy found that Rubicon with around 35K on it but it is a manual. He did get a great deal, but they are out there, especially at times like these.

My other friend recently sold his TJ that he put a turbo in, had D44 front and rear, ARB's, running 37s, and it was in immaculate shape, and he only got $13K for it.

There are a few local jeeps I saw about a year ago that my brother was looking at before he bought his jeep. We found a number of stock TJs for around 7-9K, with mileage under 40K. For another 10 grand you could build one heck of a TJ.

just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm 

Personally, I'd pass on the TJ for that price too. Heck, for 20K you can have a JK locked on 35's, winch and all.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject: Re: Opinions?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am 
LOST Addict

That thing is only a couple thousand less than my GF's brand new Unlimited Rubicon was :shock: ....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc, daspes & durangotang; Thanks. I really did appreciate all the replies and opinions. I am going to pass on this TJ. I discovered a CJ for sale (driving past a dealership, not on line) I want to go take a close look at. If I should buy it, I will certainly post it here.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:33 pm 

oddball wrote:
Inc, daspes & durangotang; Thanks. I really did appreciate all the replies and opinions. I am going to pass on this TJ. I discovered a CJ for sale (driving past a dealership, not on line) I want to go take a close look at. If I should buy it, I will certainly post it here.

Thanks again.

Take a good look at the frame of that CJ for rot, particularly around the shackle mounts.

Jeep Tech Files