It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: oddball's Rubicon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Jerry, Don't forget to check out Savvys front bumper, quarter guards and rocker protection. You can armor your TJ now w/out adding lots of weight which saves on wear and tear. These guys are beating the crap out of these parts testing them all over the Johnson Valley area and reporting really good results. My son has the tank skid and quarter guards so far for his TJ, just gotta get them installed. I'll be doing a write up on them in the future. Really nice parts in person and the guys making them are very cool Jeepers. (ok, enough pimping, I don't get paid for this, just realy like the parts and lighter is better idea)

I have spent all night reading the posts at JeepForum from these guys and the members running their stuff. = I'm sold! On the GTS, and I'm thinking probably the front bumper too. I really like the fact that you don't need to do a body lift with the GTS. Of course I have a aluminum body lift kit from Teraflex in transit as I type this tonight. I'm thinking I may just send it back? - Supposedly Saavy will announce (later this month) a tummy tuck eng/tranny skid - I will want that too! (I like these guys already because they don't officially announce new products until they're ready to fullfill orders).

On a side note, I learned something new tonight- That you have to drop the gas tank to install skids on a Wrangler! :shock: I also learned Saavy includes everything one needs to replace inner fender well / line clips and other oem parts! People have said this is the most complete "kit" of any kind they've ever bought.

And it comes with color instructions! :pepper:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FWIW -

Saavy's rockers are either mild steel or stainless steel, only the base plate (on both versions) is aluminum.

Also, I read one too many bad reviews on Smittybilt XRC winches, so that's not going to happen. I'm leaning towards the Warn 9.5xp .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Since there is no "What did you do to your Wrangler / Cj today" - I'm waiting for some mods to arrive. Although the UPS man did deliver the brand new 2004 Wrangler Owner's Manual I bought from Jeep. They also included a supplement to the soft top.

Waiting for some of my mods to arrive....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

oddball wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
Jerry, Don't forget to check out Savvys front bumper, quarter guards and rocker protection. You can armor your TJ now w/out adding lots of weight which saves on wear and tear. These guys are beating the crap out of these parts testing them all over the Johnson Valley area and reporting really good results. My son has the tank skid and quarter guards so far for his TJ, just gotta get them installed. I'll be doing a write up on them in the future. Really nice parts in person and the guys making them are very cool Jeepers. (ok, enough pimping, I don't get paid for this, just realy like the parts and lighter is better idea)

I have spent all night reading the posts at JeepForum from these guys and the members running their stuff. = I'm sold! On the GTS, and I'm thinking probably the front bumper too. I really like the fact that you don't need to do a body lift with the GTS. Of course I have a aluminum body lift kit from Teraflex in transit as I type this tonight. I'm thinking I may just send it back? - Supposedly Saavy will announce (later this month) a tummy tuck eng/tranny skid - I will want that too! (I like these guys already because they don't officially announce new products until they're ready to fullfill orders).

On a side note, I learned something new tonight- That you have to drop the gas tank to install skids on a Wrangler! :shock: I also learned Saavy includes everything one needs to replace inner fender well / line clips and other oem parts! People have said this is the most complete "kit" of any kind they've ever bought.

And it comes with color instructions! :pepper:

I concur. Great guys to deal w/ too, I went and picked up my sons tank skid and corners in person.
My opinion is that a body lift is worth while. it helps when time for a tummy tucker (anxiously awaiting Savvys) and allows you to run a lower suspension lift and bigger tires which is good for keeping a TJ low. My son has a 1.75 BL and we plan on only running 2-3 " of suspension lift eventually going to 35-37" tires.....some day.....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah I'm going to keep the BL. I too hope they announce the tummy tuck skid soon.

Until then, I'm going to order a GTS. I have just enough remaining in this weeks budget. :wink:

Speaking of hoping, I'm thinking maybe they'll take good care of me if I name drop hotrodoil & a family friend who (owns) manufactures custom wheels in Tustin, CA.
:ROTFL:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh one more thing on the BL, don't forget that the Savvy skid allows you to move the tank up another inch or so if you have the BL so you will gain a little more clearance on the gas tank w/ the GTS and BL together. I would have had my sons done by now but he filled the gas tank and I'm waiting for it to get a little lighter before diving into the job. Maybe this weekend if we get his stereo install done.

funny, more I think about his TJ, the more I want him to hand it down to me.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

JJsKJ wrote:

Nah. You want a JK. You know it's calling your name.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pixeldzn wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

In-laws have theirs, its in our name on their will. Otherwise, i'd have bought a 2 dr by now.......

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
oddball wrote:
Since there is no "What did you do to your Wrangler / Cj today" - I'm waiting for some mods to arrive. Although the UPS man did deliver the brand new 2004 Wrangler Owner's Manual I bought from Jeep. They also included a supplement to the soft top.

Waiting for some of my mods to arrive....

Ah, but there IS the 'What did you do to your Jeep today' thread... remember? That's the one we all post in! :mrgreen: :BANANA: I think your TJ qualifies. 8)

Technically that's in the KJ/KK Liberty Discussion Forum.

pixeldzn wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

Nah. John doesn't strike me as a Mall Rated Yuppie.
:goink:

Oop's... Don you already sent my order, right?! :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did a few mods today. Some cosmetic, some cosmetic / functional. Pic's aren't the best.

Removed the plastic end caps on the oem bumper. Eventually I'll go with a aftermarket bumper.

Last edited by oddball on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 am 
LOST Addict

I like the OTR sticker :D

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:55 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

looking good jerry! let me know when you get that other stuff...I can come by and help you out if ya want. depends on time/day

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Savvy products are nice,

i use Rokmen products cause they are about a 30min drive from me, and they guys are just awesome to talk to

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Once again, only the best for my Jeep.
thanks JJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On Saturday -

Installed my new KC windshield light mounts (black) for the new KC Long Range 6″ Slimlites (also black). What a PITA it was to break loose the T-40 screws on the upper portion of the windshield frame (passenger side). I didn't get to the wiring harness today. I have a 'pro' willing to run the wires and mount the dash switch for me. Trust me, for the cost of pizza & beer, it's worth it. The guy knows his stuff when it comes to custom electrical type installations.

Installed new black metal door entry guards.

Although the oil was clean, and both the Mopar oil filter and Mopar air filter were brand new, I changed everything with Amsoil products.

Mounted a Teraflex CB antenna mount (behind the right tail light) and ran a new fire ring coax up to the dash. On a side note, I used a dremel to grind / scrap off the black powder coat on the mount where it meets the Jeep's tub body, plus the inside of the mounting holes, including both sides of the hole where the antenna mounts. I then mounted a new "power box" for my Cobra 75WX ST CB radio, then had to install / solder the coax end that goes into the CB.

And finally I bought these cool and funny "Warning" replacement stickers (the one's on the interior visors) from a guy on ebay. These are for Jeep Wranglers. Oh and I also placed a "Eugene the Jeep" decal on the right rear corner of the TJ's Tub (to the right of the tail light and where the top / tub meet.

Next week (hopefully if time allows) = major mods.

Last edited by oddball on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

and new updates on this bad boy Jerry

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

not really.

Still have to install the body lift & motor mount lift. (oh yeah, I sent back the 1" BL I bought from Teraflex - and bought 1.25" BL & 1" MML from JKS).

Still have to install the gas tank skid (after BL).

Still have to have a friend wire up my KC lights.

I am waiting for a club discount and account at Rokmen then I am going to order Riddler Diff covers from them.

I am replacing the OEM skids with Undercover Fab Works aluminum skids (engine, tranny & tummy tuck). I will probably get the Savvy rock sliders I want next.

I'll let you know how things go once I find time to do most of this.

Last edited by oddball on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Sounds good :D

and could i grab a bumper from ya when your done, the KJ needs one :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
Sounds good :D

and could i grab a bumper from ya when your done, the KJ needs one :D

Yep.

I've decided this is the aluminum bumper I am going with in front >
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc ... tegoryId=1

as for the rear, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I may just leave the OEM bumper on and do a baja style tire carrier in the rear of the tub since the back seat is coming out, regardless.

EDIT: Hey wait... What did you mean ..."the KJ needs one?" Did you trash your bumper?

Last edited by oddball on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That would look good on the front of my KJ. :JEEPIN:

Previous: 95ZJ 92XJ 90XJ 80CJ5