It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Islander and Mountain models
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

frank6772 wrote:
not only the diesel, but the fact that Chrysler has the J8 running around world wide (a chassis more beefy than standard, that can actually be set up as a true pick up) and not offered here, is a slap in the face of true Jeep enthusiasts! JEEP has always been a workhorse brand, and they have lost touch with that aspect, building status symbols for the masses. Im not saying that they shouldn't make street biast Grand Cherokees, or soft roader Patriots, those trucks have there place. But they limit JEEP's true calling with a "decal package" and call it good because the masses will eat it up as the next status symbol to have in the driveway. Hopefully in the next few years,Fiat will realize this and give us JEEP fans something to cheer about. JEEP's engineers are already on the bandwagon, hopefully, management will follow suit.

Frank, go buy your J8 here.http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/j8_milspec.php...there are a lot of reasons that this isn't produced for sale to the masses here. Number one reason, money....how many Americans want to buy a military setup Jeep that would cost more than a nicely appointed Rubicon for less money. I mean I would but........I think the Islander is cool.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

Neatus wrote:
frank6772 wrote:
not only the diesel, but the fact that Chrysler has the J8 running around world wide (a chassis more beefy than standard, that can actually be set up as a true pick up) and not offered here, is a slap in the face of true Jeep enthusiasts! JEEP has always been a workhorse brand, and they have lost touch with that aspect, building status symbols for the masses. Im not saying that they shouldn't make street biast Grand Cherokees, or soft roader Patriots, those trucks have there place. But they limit JEEP's true calling with a "decal package" and call it good because the masses will eat it up as the next status symbol to have in the driveway. Hopefully in the next few years,Fiat will realize this and give us JEEP fans something to cheer about. JEEP's engineers are already on the bandwagon, hopefully, management will follow suit.

Frank, go buy your J8 here.http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/j8_milspec.php...there are a lot of reasons that this isn't produced for sale to the masses here. Number one reason, money....how many Americans want to buy a military setup Jeep that would cost more than a nicely appointed Rubicon for less money. I mean I would but........I think the Islander is cool.

50K is to much period. That's more than twice what I have tied in to my JK.

As for the Islander and Mountain Editions... They're X's with very expensive stickers. What is everyone so excited about? I understand X (sport), The up-trim level Sahara, and the Rubi for more hardcore crawling. These two editions add nothing to the lineup. Besides the stickers and patch on the seat, everything else is already a bare bones option on a X.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

daspes wrote:

As for the Islander and Mountain Editions... They're X's with very expensive stickers. What is everyone so excited about? I understand X (sport), The up-trim level Sahara, and the Rubi for more hardcore crawling. These two editions add nothing to the lineup. Besides the stickers and patch on the seat, everything else is already a bare bones option on a X.

Exactly, it’s all about marketing.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ummmm, Patriot, Rocky Mountain, Tuxedo Park, Renegade, Freedom, Islander, Golden Eagle....these are all mostly cosmetic packages and always have been. Individuality for similar models of Jeep and a way to sell more Jeeps. These aren't going to be that much more than another similarly equipped Wrangler.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

daspes wrote:
Neatus wrote:
frank6772 wrote:

50K is to much period. That's more than twice what I have tied in to my JK.

Your right, 50k IS a bit much, but with the Unlimited chassis and some bits from the J8, Jeep has the makings of a bonified Pickup. or what about an extended unlimited. Add another foot and you have the makings of a LandRover D110 type vehicle. I would take something like that over a "sticker job".

Sirius radio
arb bumper
rusty's 2 1/2" lift w/ clevis
245/75/16 MTR's