It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrangler Seating. TJ vs JK
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

Maybe this is a simple question, maybe it's not.

(And FWIW, I would be keeping the libby as well)

I would like to get into a wrangler which has 3 seatbelts in the back seat.

If I could spend 10-14K I would be happy.
A JK Rubi is probably out of the question.
An earlier TJ Rubi is feasable assuming I can strap 3 bodies to the seat.
A JK Unlimited (2006 or so) could be nice, but I would be limited on funds to upgrade.
A TJ would be nice pending the seating issue and disc brakes.

Also if I went with a non rubi... how much would I spend in parts alone to get dana 44's, lockers and a 4:1 transfer case? Besides from sheetmetal and maybe a heavier duty suspension, and maybe nicer upholstry, what else differentiates a rubi from a wrangler?

Thanks.
Mark

Post subject: Re: Wrangler Seating. TJ vs JK
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 am 
LOST Junkie

A JK is going to give you more back seat passenger room than a TJ being that it is 5" wider.

Check the JK boards for vehicles for sale. You might be able to get a deal on a used JK.
You can get JK take off parts cheap or free on those boards that have been replaced with aftermarket parts.
Axles, suspension, transfer cases, wheels, tires, etc.

I suggest you check them out:
http://www.jkowners.com
http://www.jk-forum.com

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am 

Donkeykong wrote:
Maybe this is a simple question, maybe it's not.

(And FWIW, I would be keeping the libby as well)

I would like to get into a wrangler which has 3 seatbelts in the back seat.

If I could spend 10-14K I would be happy.
A JK Rubi is probably out of the question.
An earlier TJ Rubi is feasable assuming I can strap 3 bodies to the seat.
A JK Unlimited (2006 or so) could be nice, but I would be limited on funds to upgrade.
A TJ would be nice pending the seating issue and disc brakes.

Also if I went with a non rubi... how much would I spend in parts alone to get dana 44's, lockers and a 4:1 transfer case? Besides from sheetmetal and maybe a heavier duty suspension, and maybe nicer upholstry, what else differentiates a rubi from a wrangler?

Thanks.
Mark

First to fit 5 people you only have one choice. 2007-10 JK Unlimited. The regular JK's and all CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's only fit 2 in the rear seat, unless the people in the back have a 19" waist. on all the 2 doors there are only 4 seatbelts in the whole jeep.

Second, you can find JK Unlimiteds (JKL's) for around the 14k price range, though it may take a while and you will have to sour the whole country and probably have to travel to get it. (I found mine in Dallas while living in WA state. Out the door for $16,200, with a 135 plane ticket and about $200 in gas to get it home.)

Third, X models are extremely capable as they sit. The only diff between a X JKL and a Rubi JKL is front and rear lockers, D44's both ends, 4:1 t-case, and YES upholestry (which is still cloth, supposed to be stain resistant, but it sucks). Sheetmetal, and suspension are the same between the JKL Rubi and X models.

The lockers aren't that much to add to an axle, especially if you use auto lockers like the Aussie.

the D44 rear is standard on all JK's after mid year 07, so chance are that you will have one. the Front D30 is idamn near denticle to the D44 on the Rubi's with the exception to the carrier, ring and pinion. Knuckles, axle tubes, etc are the same, which is the weakest part of the new axles. a Stock 30 can easily handle 35's no problem, and if you are light on the throttle 37's before you need to sleev and gusset the axle (which you can do for about $300).

The 4:1 T-case is really only usefull when climbing rocks, other than that, the 2.73:1 NP241 works better in most other situations. But you can find one for about $1000 used if you really want it.

One other note about JK's... Transmission... 6 speed is much better on the street, but you have to watch it on the trails. If you do any water fording, or play in deep mud stay off the clutch or you stand a good chance to ruin your tranny.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the great posts Mike and Priell3.
It's rough as when I first started even considering the Jeeps I was looking at the 4-door JK's. I just couldn't justify spending $10k more for basically a basic vehicle when I found my 06 liberty sport for $15,900... although I am sort of glad that I got the liberty first as I managed to put 110K miles on it in no time, and will have a nice daily driver once I get into whatever my "toy" becomes.

19" Waists? LOL, a 7 year old, 3 and 1-3/4 year old would likely be my passengers :ROTFL: The only one I worry about exceeding the 19" waist anytime soon is my youngest son... I call him "Chumba-Wumba" man, that kid can pack it in... and he's serious about his food :) The other three (I didn't mention my newborn) eat like birds.

If the 6-speed in the JKL's is the same as my KJ's I already am used to double clutching int he cold weather as well :roll: and so far staying off the clutch while wheeling hasn't been a problem :D

So the JK's have Dana 44's in the front and rear? That's great. I would like to put some 35's under it right away and drive it like that for a while (well, until it's paid off)...

So for now I'm just going to bide my time and see what I can find. If I "fall into" a clean XJ, manual transmission, black on black, 4x4, 4.0ho, low miles... did I mention cheap? Then I might take it, but otherwise I am going to wait until closer to august or september and try to catch a good price on a JK as the 36 month lease models start to roll in..... which I would imagine will put me in one closer to the similar price of a clean 03 rubi?

Thanks again for the informative post.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:42 pm 

Donkeykong wrote:
19" Waists? LOL, a 7 year old, 3 and 1-3/4 year old would likely be my passengers :ROTFL: The only one I worry about exceeding the 19" waist anytime soon is my youngest son... I call him "Chumba-Wumba" man, that kid can pack it in... and he's serious about his food :) The other three (I didn't mention my newborn) eat like birds.

My three boys are the reason I sold my TJ and moved into a KJ. Another point to consider with a 2 door (besides having to add a 3rd seatbelt in the rear), (and the size of car/booster seats), is that unlike universal Jeeps before, the JK 2 doors don't have a front seat which tilts forward to access the rear bench. It's a big complaint with the 2 door guys. You have to squeeze between the seat and the tub to get back there.

Donkeykong wrote:
If the 6-speed in the JKL's is the same as my KJ's I already am used to double clutching int he cold weather as well :roll: and so far staying off the clutch while wheeling hasn't been a problem :D

Due to the design of the JK's manual tranny, when it is submerged in anything (water, mud, chocolate syrup) it will suck it right up into the bell housing if you push the clutch in. Best case scenario, you have to replace your clutch every time, worst... replace the tranny and possibly hydro-lock the engine if the water is to deep.

Donkeykong wrote:
So the JK's have Dana 44's in the front and rear? That's great. I would like to put some 35's under it right away and drive it like that for a while (well, until it's paid off)...

No... X's have a 30/44 (30/35 w/ opt 44 in the first 4 months or so of production). Rubi's have the 44/44. My post above is that the new Dana 30's are nearly as strong as a 44 since they share many of the same parts. Yes the ring and pinion is a smaller diameter, but the problems that you run into running 35's or smaller don't lie there. It will be with the common parts of 'C' knuckles or tubes.

Jeep Tech Files