It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrangler & CRD engine or Diesel ?!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:25 am 
LOST Junkie

Hi,

a quick question....has anyone fitted a CRD engine into a Wrangler?
I know must sound a really odd question to most of you. In Europe petrol/gas prises have been a lot higher than back in the US for years and most Jeep owners over here at some stage or another end up fitting an lpg tank to get running cost down (LPG is 50% cheaper then petrol in Europe).
In the past in Europe we used to have CJ with the old Izusu 2.4L diesel engine until they stopped producing it, we have the Cherockee with 2.0L Renault TD when it was lunched moving then on to 2.5TD VM engine passed on to KJ and in most Jeep today. I am sure someone has tried to install a 2.5TD into a Wrangler. I found in London (UK) a guy that had installed a 2.5D Izusu engine, but I guess it most have been very asmatic.
I know in the past and I am talking late 80' early 90' Italian that have sort of sucessfully installed VM 3.6 TD 6 cyl into a old Wagonner, saddly I don't have photos of it (i used to work for him and I did see the Jeep working).

My question is more for curiosity that other.

Thank you,

Fil.

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

Post subject: Re: Wrangler & CRD engine or Diesel ?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just head to your dealer and buy one....free assembly.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/specs.html

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

WolverineFW wrote:
Just head to your dealer and buy one....free assembly.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/specs.html

Hi
the idea wasn't that, but still thank you. I was looking before Jeep decided it was a very good idea to put a diesel engine into the Wrangler to increase sales of the Wrangler in Europe. I was looking if someone had tied before that wil older models.

Still anyone out there?

Tks,
Fil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm 

There have been quite a few diesel swaps into older wranglers. Mainly CJ's and YJ's before all fancy electronics started making things harder. do a quick google search for yj(cj) diesel and there are tons of hits.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 am 
LOST Junkie

Thank you, might have just found what I was looking for.

Fil. :-)r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am 
LOST Addict

there are like, I believe 5 CRD 2.8L swaps into newer wranglers (2000-2010). There are a few wranglers that have the 4bt's in them.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 am 
LOST Junkie

Thank you for the answer, anyone on here that has one? any links to see?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

If only Jeep would sell them in the US. I'd be at the dealership signing that morning.

Yes, we like diesels.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:07 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

There are several valid reasons jeep does not sell the 2.8 here anymore....that it is a nasty little sucker emissions-wise is one while warranty claims are another... if they could make money on them, they would be here. Aftermarket retro-fits have been such nightmares that they really don't exist here.

want a little diesel in a jeep? Go 4bt. There are HUNDREDS of those swaps running around, if not more. I personally know of 3 within a few minutes of me. The 4BT is head and shoulders above the 2.8 with decades of real world experience to prove it.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:51 pm 
LOST Member

InCommando wrote:
There are several valid reasons jeep does not sell the 2.8 here anymore....that it is a nasty little sucker emissions-wise is one while warranty claims are another... if they could make money on them, they would be here. Aftermarket retro-fits have been such nightmares that they really don't exist here.

want a little diesel in a jeep? Go 4bt. There are HUNDREDS of those swaps running around, if not more. I personally know of 3 within a few minutes of me. The 4BT is head and shoulders above the 2.8 with decades of real world experience to prove it.

Ummm notice my sig?

The 2.8 VM or the 3.0 MB diesels would suit a modern jeep better than the 4BT. The 4BT just weighs too much for the coil spring setup. (I know how much a 6BT weighs, I've got two here, wrestling them in and out isn't fun.)

After I replaced the TC, installed a shift kit and deep pan, SEGR, and ditched the stock exhaust. We've had a great time in the CRD libby.

I know there's some stout 4BT's around. Heck my 6BT 24v put 467hp down to the ground last dyno. But I've got two mechanical pump'ed diesels here. The Libby and Dodge have me spoiled with the tuning on the fly ability.

I test drove a 4dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon this week. I've gotta say, I want one. If it had a better motor than that sorry 3.6.

Yes, we like diesels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:41 pm 

patracy wrote:
InCommando wrote:

Ummm notice my sig?

The 2.8 VM or the 3.0 MB diesels would suit a modern jeep better than the 4BT. The 4BT just weighs too much for the coil spring setup. (I know how much a 6BT weighs, I've got two here, wrestling them in and out isn't fun.)

After I replaced the TC, installed a shift kit and deep pan, SEGR, and ditched the stock exhaust. We've had a great time in the CRD libby.

I know there's some stout 4BT's around. Heck my 6BT 24v put 467hp down to the ground last dyno. But I've got two mechanical pump'ed diesels here. The Libby and Dodge have me spoiled with the tuning on the fly ability.

I test drove a 4dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon this week. I've gotta say, I want one. If it had a better motor than that sorry 3.6.

The JK has a 3.8, not a 3.6, and it still makes significantly better power than 99% of VW's produced. Ever. I'd venture to guess that its horse power output is much better than your turbo VW, for example. It is not the engine but the weight of the vehicle that hurts it. You are probably a misinformed reader having seen "3.6" and not thinking any further about it. The 3.6 is the new pentastar v6 which is going into the '11 Cheros and, eventually, the JK's. At 290 hp it has significantly more power than the 3.8. and, without resorting to direct inject or turbo, makes outstanding power. Future variants will be well into the 300's on HP.

Now if you can explain why a tiny Jetta with only 170 HP (40 less than a 3.7, which is still not a 3.6 or 3.8 so you don't have to google) only gets 4 mpg more than my KJ in city driving while weighing much less, I'd appreciate the enlightment.

The issue with the 4bt is not only the ability to be built, but the reliabillity and lack of BS that fails like the 2.8. The 2.8 will never equal the 4bt, and should not be mentioned in the same breath unless to show how superior it is.

the 3.0 and 2.8 are so different it isn't funny: Bottom line is that the 2.8 could not meet current emissions regs economically and is falling further behind the curve without any hope of a future here.

If you bought a 3.8 JK and were willing to waste the same $'s on it as "After I replaced the TC, installed a shift kit and deep pan, SEGR, and ditched the stock exhaust " as you did the 2.8 you might be satisfied with it as well :wink: That you have to perform such things as the minimum to make the 2.8 reliable and "a great time" is completely beyond reason to most.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 pm 
LOST Member

InCommando wrote:
patracy wrote:
InCommando wrote:

Ummm notice my sig?

The JK has a 3.8, not a 3.6, and it still makes significantly better power than 99% of VW's produced. Ever. I'd venture to guess that its horse power output is much better than your turbo VW, for example. It is not the engine but the weight of the vehicle that hurts it. You are probably a misinformed reader having seen "3.6" and not thinking any further about it. The 3.6 is the new pentastar v6 which is going into the '11 Cheros and, eventually, the JK's. At 290 hp it has significantly more power than the 3.8. and, without resorting to direct inject or turbo, makes outstanding power. Future variants will be well into the 300's on HP.

Now if you can explain why a tiny Jetta with only 170 HP (40 less than a 3.7, which is still not a 3.6 or 3.8 so you don't have to google) only gets 4 mpg more than my KJ in city driving while weighing much less, I'd appreciate the enlightment.

The issue with the 4bt is not only the ability to be built, but the reliabillity and lack of BS that fails like the 2.8. The 2.8 while never equal 4bt, and should not be mentioned in the same breath uless to show how superior it is.

the 3.0 and 2.8 are so different it isn't funny: Bottom line is that the 2.8 could not meet current emissions regs economically and is falling further behind the curve without any hope of a future here.

If you bought a 3.8 JK and were willing to waste the same $'s on it as "After I replaced the TC, installed a shift kit and deep pan, SEGR, and ditched the stock exhaust " as you did the 2.8 you might be satisfied with it as well :wink: That you have to perform such things as the minimum to make the 2.8 reliable and satisfying is disgusting.

My apologies for the typo on the 3.8. I know Jeep will be releasing the pentastar in the following years. I transposed the numbers.

Now for the heart of the matter. Diesels get a bad wrap here in the states due to the 80s. But it's amazing the advancements they've made in just the last 10 years. I'm not certain what you mean about the mileage. The new jetta TDI's get 30mpg in the city. 47-49 on the highway. Unless you're getting 25mpg in the city?

Now for the 4BT, no doubt the simplistic design of the 4/6BT's have made them king of the consumer line of engines. The design lends it to going 500K miles without trouble. I'm not sure why you're intent on popping the VM engine in the eye for it's design. Yes it's not a gear driven design. But it also has the common faults of the modern common rails (injector failure, CP3 pump, exc.). The timing belt is a flaw for those not wanting diesel maintenance to extend beyond oil and filter changes.

As for the performance mods. Notice the word performance. If all I wanted was pure stock, the only thing I'd do is SEGR it.

You're free to bash all you like on diesels. (Or bash on me for my typos if it makes ya feel better) But that's all we drive in my household. And we love em. 8)

Yes, we like diesels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 pm 
LOST Member

On second thought, after searching on posts by you. Don't bother with replying. Gosh you hate diesels. :ROTFL:

Yes, we like diesels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm 

I doubt it is a typo as I even pointed out that the 3.6 is here NOW, not in the future. 3.SEVEN or 3.NINE would be believable as typos due to their position on the keyboard.

The Jetta is an I5 as cited: the TDI makes only 140 HP not 170. For a vehicle that small....the I5 returns pretty crappy mileage. A gas '90 Festiva would break 40 MPG city if you wanna econbox witj mileage.

I have significant experience with the CTD. Not the much more problematic electronic 24V's, true, but the beautifuly simplistic 16V. I hate 2.8 fanboysdue to the blinders they wear: I love diesels.

Why are you not willing to drop a few K on PERFORMANCE to make the JK accaptable as you did the KJ?

The originally asked question regarding the crd ( a logical assumption is it being the 2.8 as it was asked on a KJ board) being swap fodder is correctly answered by saying it has been very problematic and was an expirement killed off 5 years ago. Jeep offerd them up as a complete swap motor but the only number I have seen reported is that less than 10 were sold for that purpose and most of those have no record of being completed: it is a poor swap choice for the same reason it was killed off after a small expirement: there are much better & easier options out there. You can swap a WWI radial biplane engine into a Wrangler if you want: that doesn't mean anyone but an idiot would.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 pm 
LOST Member

So am I allowed to point out some typos of yours?

The original 6BT only has 12 valves. :goink:

As for the performance parts for the gasser. The return on investment (Yeah can't really consider performance as an investment :ROTFL: ) isn't the same as a diesel. You just can't really expect to plunk $300 and net 50hp from a gasser. (We'll you could cheat and run a dry NO2 system for about that) Not to mention you can't turn the wick down when you're not "playing". (Edit: let me specify, I'm talking hard parts such as a Cam, injectors, exc.)

Now for the 2.8 swap. There's three that I've seen on the web that have been publicized. I'm sure there's more. So yes, there's completed ones out there.

Actually one of them was on ebay a couple of months back. I don't recall it's exact location but I believe it was in the southwest.

It's just unfortunate that due to EPA rules, we can't have any smaller consumer diesels in the US. You know you can buy the 2.8 in the UK in wranglers....

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/index.html

(On a side note, I own two Cummins 24v's, two VW Diesels [1.6 and 1.9 IDI's], The VM 2.8, Two stationary small diesels, and I'm about to pick up a Listeroid. I've also owned GM 6.2's, 6.5's, Ford 7.3's, and a Duramax. I'm not "loyal" to any single engine line. So I'm not what you'd call a 2.8 fanboy.)

Yes, we like diesels.