It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Might upgrade to 2010 Sahara
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 am 
LOST Member

After giving much thought to selling my liberty for an upgrade, I finally decided to go into the dealer and see what they had to offer. I also been playing around with the idea of selling my liberty and buying one of the SFA libbys from this site. The problem with that is, I need a dependable Daily Driver(something that I can easily find replacement parts for if I decide to break anything). Anyhow, I found myself looking at a 2010 Sahara 2 door, sweet ride 8) !! I originally wanted to go in and see if I could work out payments on a new Rubicon, but the dealer really hikes up the prices on the Rubicons, go figure :? . I know that the rubi is the only jeep that comes stock with locking diifs, front and rear Dana 44 axles, electronic swaybar disconnects and the nice little mud tires.. But my main question is, is all that stuff really worth the extra cost?

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject: Re: Might upgrade to 2010 Sahara
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:35 am 
LOST Member

This is the potential buy

This is the old lady Liberty :BINGO:

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:45 am 
LOST Addict

NOOOO don't do it!... just saying I love my libby and I know you love yours, but if you sell her, sell her and get what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:40 pm 

Love my KJ, and I love my JK. 2 different animals... Not sure if I could be happy with one completely replacing the other. Small advice I have on the upgrade is to make sure that the 2 door works for you. Back seat is nearly unaccessible on the JK. 2nd the JK 2 door has a bit less room than the KJ, 4 a bit more room. Lastly, if you don't need the painted fenders, don't pay the premium for the Sahara, get an X if you don't end up with the Rubi.

I'll shoot you a name and number shortly for a for someone at a dealership only a short roadtrip away. Price of the Jeep, one way ticket, and gas back will be much less than your local dealer's price.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

daspes wrote:
2 different animals... Not sure if I could be happy with one completely replacing the other.

X2

If you can swing it, I would keep the KJ and buy a JK……… :rockon:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

I would not agree with the "upgrade" part.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 am 
LOST Member

InCommando wrote:
I would not agree with the "upgrade" part.

I would like to think of it as an upgrade, being that it is an SFA with limited slip, and has roughly
98,000 miles less than my KJ... I do like my KJ alot and it would be really hard to see her go, it is really hard to resist the temptation to get a new vehicle every now and then. Anyways, looks like I am keeping the KJ for the time being. Payments on the new jeep were a little steeper than I would like and I aint willing to push the loan out further to have the payments in my comfort level. Probably wont look into buying anything else until I am ready to fork out the money on a new Rubi. Thanks forr all the advice guys. Still a part of the KJ club as it is :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:56 am 
LOST Junkie

I did the "upgrade" a little over 3 years ago and while I don't hit the trails that often, the room and versatility of my 4 door JK made it quite worth it. Go with the "Sport" instead of the Sahara and put the money you save into more functional areas instead of painted fenders and the other bling.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET)

How much for the uninstalled rock rails?
And Yes the Rubicon stuff is worth the extra cost

Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate,
Rustys Offroad Rocker Skids
235/70-16 BFG A/T on 16" Moabs
OME Lift - OME 926/947 (Medium Duty Springs) with OME shocks
All J Products KJ Interior Rack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:30 am 
LOST Junkie

KJ in CO wrote:
This is the potential buy

This is the old lady Liberty :BINGO:

do it. you wont regret it.
i get better mileage with mine lifted than i did with my liberty. it doesnt have that high end power but the low end is there. the a/c and heat work well. even the soft top keeps the heat in in the wintertime. be ready to lift it tho once you see those other jk's rolling round on 35's

and my insurance went down because the jk had alot of safety crap my liberty didnt have

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

With the softning of the Wrangler from the tougher TJ, it is more libety-ish. Just make sure that if you buy a JK, you pick a lift based on how cool the stickers are and how crappy the ride will be.... :mrgreen:

But the JK still falls well short of the DD-ability of a KJ

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Agreed on the Sahara.

If you can't swing the rubi, get the Sport. The only thing that seperates the sport and the saharais the painted fenders and the 18" wheels, and maybe a couple small things in the interior.

If you are visiting a dealer that still charges a premium over the sticker price of a rubi, I'd find a new dealer. It should be more expensive than a sahara, but not obnoxiously so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:25 am 
LOST Junkie

InCommando wrote:
With the softning of the Wrangler from the tougher TJ, it is more libety-ish. Just make sure that if you buy a JK, you pick a lift based on how cool the stickers are and how crappy the ride will be.... :mrgreen:

stickers make it better dude. DUH!!

i wouldnt say the tj is tougher at all. and i think its a better DD er than the kj. it gets better mileage and they generally ride better (dont get 4 door shocks on a 2 door). get a 3.5 inch rock krawler or poly performance lift and go 35's. if thats how you want to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am 

InCommando wrote:

Not sure what you mean by the "softening of the Wragler"... Having owned a CJ, YJ, TJ and now a JK. the JK is the most capable Wrangler produced yet. Hands down. Heck even the idiots at JP magazine agree on that. It is also, much more comfortable, handles, drives, better MPG than my TJ was too. As for the lift, mine rides even better after the install.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

We have already talked about it lol.

anyways on to the Diff with the Rubi and a non-rubi. You really need to decide on how much your going to wheel it and what kinda trail you want to do with the jk. You know me, i got the rubi so.

rubi is a lot more money for what you get. granted yes you get D44's, lockers, elec swaybar, rubi 4to1 t-case, and 4:11's in the axles, a small lift, and 33's. For how much you pay for the rubi add-on not bad.

non-rubi- d44 in rear, d30 up front, 231J t-case thats 2.72to1, manual swaybars, and 3.73's in the axles, and 31's or something like that. But, you save a few grand in total cost.

With the Rubi, you can go a lot of places. It is a great rig from the go. But, if you tend to get real into doing the harder trails now that you have sfa rig, you well tend to start changing everything out. You well move to aftermarket swaybar's, upgraded gearing, shafts, driveshafts, axles, and tires. Only thing left of the rubi is the t-case. There goes the extra money you spent for the "rubicon package".

K the non-rubi, all that money you saved not buying the rubi package you can pick up a rubi t-case for a grand or so, and your good to go on the t-case. Put some gearing in the axles and 35's and our rolling. Great setup and ready to rock. Now when you want to go heavier axles, you can do that from the get go or later down the road.

i know it does not make much sense but, as I said I own a rubi and the only thing rubi left on it is the t-case and axles.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

JeepBumm68 wrote:
We have already talked about it lol.

anyways on to the Diff with the Rubi and a non-rubi. You really need to decide on how much your going to wheel it and what kinda trail you want to do with the jk. You know me, i got the rubi so.

rubi is a lot more money for what you get. granted yes you get D44's, lockers, elec swaybar, rubi 4to1 t-case, and 4:11's in the axles, a small lift, and 33's. For how much you pay for the rubi add-on not bad.

non-rubi- d44 in rear, d30 up front, 231J t-case thats 2.72to1, manual swaybars, and 3.73's in the axles, and 31's or something like that. But, you save a few grand in total cost.

With the Rubi, you can go a lot of places. It is a great rig from the go. But, if you tend to get real into doing the harder trails now that you have sfa rig, you well tend to start changing everything out. You well move to aftermarket swaybar's, upgraded gearing, shafts, driveshafts, axles, and tires. Only thing left of the rubi is the t-case. There goes the extra money you spent for the "rubicon package".

K the non-rubi, all that money you saved not buying the rubi package you can pick up a rubi t-case for a grand or so, and your good to go on the t-case. Put some gearing in the axles and 35's and our rolling. Great setup and ready to rock. Now when you want to go heavier axles, you can do that from the get go or later down the road.

i know it does not make much sense but, as I said I own a rubi and the only thing rubi left on it is the t-case and axles.

it really depends on how much modifying you will do. if your trying to run 37's, you might as well get a sport with what ever tranny you want and swap the axles for man axles. i heard the rubicon front axle has an issue with 35+ tires. and the rubicon lockers @@@@ up alot. you can get an atlas 2 speed for liek 3k and be better off there. but if your just trying to go 33's and a 2 inch lift then go for the sport 24 S, sahara, or rubicon