It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: used YJ's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Gemtlemen,

I am actively looking for a YJ for my 16 year old son.
Seems like prices, here in Colorado are running between $2500
and $6000 depending on mileage, engine/trans combos, etc.

What sort of things should I be inspecting when going to look at
these vehicles? Known problems, etc?

Keeping in mind that this is for a kid, would you think the 2.4L I4
would be OK, or should I hold out for the I6? (I'm going to get him a manual trans,
if that helps in your opinion.)

Thanks very much for your input.

Mike

Renegade Lightbar, Jeep rack w/Hi-Lift, shovel and axe, Franken/jacker coil lift, LT245/75R16E BFG M/T TA's, All J & RRO skids and bars, all factory skids, FlowMaster 50, front DrawTite hitch w/Mile Marker winch, on-board air, JBA 4.5's, etc, etc.

Post subject: Re: used YJ's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:49 am 
LOST Addict

Do NOT get the I4.
I am almost certain he will want lift and bigger tires, and the I4 is not enough.
Try to find one with the 4.0, it will last forever if properly maintained. Plus better MPG's, easy starts in cold weather, less hesitation, etc.
Things to check:
Rust on the floorpans, ALL of them. Check the frame for rust, see if the rear output seal on the t-case is leaking. There will be lots of grime and crap right above the front of the rear DS on the underside of the body.
Make sure the 4wd drive works. The vacuum controlled CAD(central axle disconnect) is usually the part that fails causing the axle to not engage. There is an easy fix to this.
Also, check the exhaust manifold. In almost every YJ it was either rusted through or cracked. Mine is currently cracked and am getting a stainless steel replacement for $85.
And of course the usual things you look at when looking at buying a vehicle.
But the biggest thing is rust.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have to agree with everything Budke said.

Three years ago I bought my first Jeep, a 4 cyl 95 YJ for $5,000. I thought it would suit me however even with 4.88 gears it doesn't have the power I'd like to have. Get the inline 6 cyl, 4.0 L engine. With proper maintenance they will run forever.

Do you think your son can learn to drive a standard? An automatic might be a easier to learn to drive on.

The newest YJ you will be able to find will be a 95 and something that old will likely have high mileage and a host of potential problems. A problem I've seen with older YJ (from the 80's) is rusted out bodywork & frames. Typically frame damage hides around the gas tank. Just what conditions are the vehicles like in Colorado anyways? Is there much rust? corrosion?

I recommend you look for a TJ close to a 2000 model year rather than a YJ. Lower mileage and better condition overall.

Oh and one more thing, if you buy a Jeep that's already been modified then beware. It's probably been beat to doo doo and will fall apart. It's better off buying a stock Jeep that has seldom seen the 4WD used.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm 
LOST Member

yeah, i agree with both of them, yet my mother bought a 94 yj about a year ago or so, and aside from the seats needing to be reupholstered, and the center console missing the lid it is in fantastic shape, actually i would venture to say it is in better shape than my 02 tj and they have had fewer problems than i have and i've only had mine for 3 months now, although they do not wheel it and it is bone stock, it just depends on where you purchase the vehicle from and who the previos owners were, another thing you may want to check on is trying to get one from the south somewhere, if it had originated there chances are there will be minimal rust anywhere due to no salt on the roads and having it shipped to ur destination might be a little more expensive, but may be better for the piece of mind in the long run, DO NOT GET A 4cyl.

mml & 1.25in bl awaiting install (i'm lazzzzyyyy!!)
31x10.50x15 toyo open country a/t's