It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need heater help with a '99 wrangler..
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 am 
LOST Member

OK.... Here's what's going on ....the blower only runs with the switch set at the lowest position. Already checked the resistor and replaced the relay just for good measure and still no luck fixing the original problem of it only working at the lowest speed. It's the wifes TJ and shes pissed !! :evil:

I'm thinking it may be the heater control switches either the fan speed switch or the selector for which vent system the air is directed thru. Does the hive have any suggestions for a fix ?? Would this switch be available seperately or will I have to buy the fan speed, temp., and vent mode switch all together as a unit ?????????

Post subject: Re: Need heater help with a '99 wrangler..
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

I think you have to buy the whole unit. My YJs controls are all one unit.
But I believe mine is operated by vacuum and manual levers and not electronic like yours probably is.
Ask on jeepforum.com. Their TJ community is probably the biggest on the web.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Just went through this on mine.

If you were losing the lower speeds, but high speed worked; then it would be the resistor.

Since low speed works, but high speed doesn't; then most likely the dash selector switch. It is sold as a whole unit including the fan/vent/temp for about $40.

If none of the speeds worked, then it might have been the actual blower motor. Brushes wear and you can sometimes get it temporarily working by whacking the motor until you shut it off again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 am 
LOST Junkie

Aren't the TJ heater controls prone to burning up or melting? If you've replaced the fan's ballast resistor and it hasn't fixed the problem then examine the fan switch & wiring next.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 am 
LOST Member

Turns out it was the blower speed switch that was causing the problem. took the climate control box out of the dash and replaced just the blower speed switch (it didn't look melted or burnt). The climate control box does come apart so you can replace the individual switches, I used a stiff bladed putty knife to pry up the edges that lock the face of it to the retaining tabs. If you're careful you shouldn't break anything.