It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sudden shaking after bump
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 pm 
LOST Member

Ok folks, need a little help. Currently have a KJ, but looking to get another Wrangler. Wife and I test drove a 2000 today. We hit a bump and got a crazy death wobble. Unfortunately it happened when my wife was driving and scared the crap out of her. She let off the gas and it soon smoothed out. I'm guessing steering stabilizer maybe???

No lift, 31x10.5's. Tires were worn, but wasn't a consistent wobble like cupped tires usually cause. As I said, started after hitting a bump at about 35-40 mph. Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: Sudden shaking after bump
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I'd check the steering stabilizer.
Also, check the bushings on the trac bar and make sure there's no play in the steering.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm 
LOST Member

the death wobble is mostly caused by loose or bent front end parts....tie rod, ball joints, drag link, bent coil spring, tires out of balance, alignment issues.....

The most common cause on a JK...and probably the TJ is the front track bar is either loose, or one of the two bolts that holds the track bar in place is loose / or the bolt hole is wollowed out from a loose bolt vibrating in it.

I would have an alignment done, tires balanced by a good shop, and make sure to check every bolt in the front end for tightness.

I would so a search on any jeep site for the death wobble and you will find hundreds of answers, but these are the most common.

The steering stabilizer is just a mask for the problem, and will not be the end all fix. :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:21 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I think we're passing on that one. I don't think the shake was the only issues with that one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm 
LOST Member

Probably a good idea :D

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue