It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More h.p. and torque out of 3.8L SMPI V-6
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

I currently own a 06 Libby CRD and love it but have been waiting to sell or trade it if Jeep ever offered a diesel option in the Wrangler 4x4 which doesn't look like soon. Also have read a couple of articles about Jeep "possibly" / "possibly" offering the Pentastar V-6 option in 2012, but ain't holding my breath on it. So my big question is: Anyone have any information or has anyone done a "power" upgrade on the V-6 3.8L SMPI engine like chipping or other type tuning to add more h.p. and torque? Love the Wrangler and it would deffinately suit my needs for a 4x4 all around vehicle at this time. Appreciate any comments.

Post subject: Re: More h.p. and torque out of 3.8L SMPI V-6
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Best Power upgrade for the V-6 - is to add 2 more cylinders......
http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/jk_hemi/

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone have any information or has anyone done Anyone have any information or has anyone done a "power" upgrade on the V-6 3.8L SMPI engine like chipping or other type tuning to add more h.p. and torque?

The above is more like what I've had in mind and something I may be able to do myself. Old Geezer here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Ripp offers a supercharger kit, so does Hesco. Mostly the guys I have seen with JK's usually do the AEV procal, headers, cat-back, re-gear, and a chip from either superchips, unichip, or edge.

No offense the 3.8L V6 in them Jk's is a worthless engine to me. It is a darn mini van motor in a jeep. I love my 4.0L in my TJ more. I have driven both the TJ and JK many many miles lol. There is some idea's for ya.

also a good site to check out is, Rubiconownersforum.com, jk-owners.com, or projectjk.com

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:26 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the tips, and you're right and I agree, the current V-6 SMPI is an under powered engine. I've driven the 2011 Wrangler 4x4 4dr. and it compared to my 06 CRD, I'll take the CRD, not quite as quick on the get go, but from about 10 mph on up, much much more pull due to the torque. I'm probably going to see what's offered in 2012 Wrangler and hope it may be a diesel option, but I really doubt it. If they offer the Pentastar V-6 as an option, I would be satisified with that in place of the diesel. I read an article somewhere on the internet about Wrangler in 2012 and the Pentastar, but of course, can't believe anything until it's seen so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

You are right lol.

the 2012 is supposed to be getting the penstar for sure.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

They just need to grow a set of balls and put a diesel in the JK.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 am 

Couple of comments...

The Pentastar V6 is confirmed fro 2012.

Tuner: Best out there is the Diablo Sport followed by the Superchips one. The rest are pretty much crap. AEV ProCal is useful on updating tire sizes and gears, but does nothing for performance. For the price of the ProCal, a little more and you can add a Aeroforce interceptor which allows you do the same things and monitor the OBD2 as well.

Exhaust: Headers - Ripp, all other ones actually lose power. Cat backs, pretty much junk too. Best for performance is to dump the stock muffler, and add one inline under the drivers seat. Netted 18hp myself with just this mod.

Supercharger: A couple choices... Hesco, after several ears, they are still having issues getting it dialed in though. Ripp, Centrifugal style SC, or Avenger, which is a positive dispacement SC. For the record I run a Ripp, and wish I would have gone with the Avenger system.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Add a snorkel too.
its a REAL CAI and will let your engine suck in that nice cold air and, depending how you set it up, has a rather unrestricted path to the TB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm 

Forgot to post that a viper throttle body bolts right up ands a few hp and mpg plus it really improves throttle responsiveness.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Daspes did a good job on pretty much everything that works on the jk and that motor

Another thing is the Procal from AEV was designed mostly for the Automatic and the TPS on it.
Also cause of the drive by wire system on the JK's they have some heavy gas pedal lag. The spring booster actually does work very well. There are a few ways to make adjust it, but I would have to search to find it.

Overall the V6 is a POS that is in the jeep. The only good ones I have seen have the RIPP package on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

ripp makes a supercharger. its super expensive.

a cai, exhaust, and flashpaq should make it better for sure.
the jk guys ive mostly talked to with snorkels have lost a few mpg because of it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 am 
LOST Addict

Budke wrote:
They just need to grow a set of balls and put a diesel in the JK.

Um, they did.

There's been a diesel in the JK from the get-go.

The problem is that it's not available here in the US. If you want to lay blame, talk to the US Government.