It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Few Questions about '12 JK Unlimiteds?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
LOST Member

I started my looking at used JKs but was soon hit in the face that I could buy new for the price of a used one. I started my looking off at trucks but dont want to spend that much right now and the pipeline job I just took has me all over the place and in crazy places. The wrangler would be best to be able to get up and down the Right Of Way (ROW). The room they have with the back seats folded down is more then enough for me on the road since its just me. So now.......

1) I would like to run a 4''-4.5'' lift. What would be the best to be looking at?

2) I would like to run 35''s. Would I need to regear? I would be ordering the jeep with 3:73s.

3) I would like to run lockers front and rear. What is the best locker being used in the JKs?

I know some of you will say that I need to go to a wrangler site to get better answers, but I have not found a better Jeep site that helps as much as you guys!!

Thanks!!
:JEEPIN:

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

Post subject: Re: Few Questions about '12 JK Unlimiteds?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know right now regearing '12's is a no go till they can get around the programming issue so the JK doesn't freakout,superchips and AEV is currently working on a fix but who know's when it will be out.I wouldn't run 35" tires with 3.73's,not even with the extra 60hp the 3.6 gives.4.88's if your going manual trans and 5.13's for the auto trans.Might as well get the Rubicon model,D44's F/R and lockers already and the low t-case,otherwise ARB's are the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
I know right now regearing '12's is a no go till they can get around the programming issue so the JK doesn't freakout,superchips and AEV is currently working on a fix but who know's when it will be out.I wouldn't run 35" tires with 3.73's,not even with the extra 60hp the 3.6 gives.4.88's if your going manual trans and 5.13's for the auto trans.Might as well get the Rubicon model,D44's F/R and lockers already and the low t-case,otherwise ARB's are the best.

Thanks for the input! I hadnt heard anything about the '12s having programming problems. I would go with the auto trans. but the Rubi is a no go If I were going to spend that kind of money I would just go a head and buy the truck. What axles does the sports have in them? Could the sports t-case be changed to the Rubi's t-case?

Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

they have a d30 upfront and d44 rear if i remember correctly.

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I just got my 12 JK last monday

absolutly love it, if you want to run 35's all you need is 2.5 of lift you can go higher if you want but no need unless you want bigger tires 37 +
you will have to buy an exhaust adapter kit from Teraflex ( $60) for the y pipe or you'll be replacing the front drive shaft boot ( any thing over 2.5 of lift)

this is the route I'll be taking for now, yes 30/44 with 3:73's you'll be fine with 35's, some guy's are already running them & love it with no complaints

good luck :)

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:34 pm 
LOST Member

raceinfan wrote:
I just got my 12 JK last monday

absolutly love it, if you want to run 35's all you need is 2.5 of lift you can go higher if you want but no need unless you want bigger tires 37 +
you will have to buy an exhaust adapter kit from Teraflex ( $60) for the y pipe or you'll be replacing the front drive shaft boot ( any thing over 2.5 of lift)

this is the route I'll be taking for now, yes 30/44 with 3:73's you'll be fine with 35's, some guy's are already running them & love it with no complaints

good luck :)

Nice! and thanks for the info!

Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Save up a little extra and get the Rubi. 4:10s, Lockers, and a 4:1 Crawl are going to save you alot of $ in the long run with the 12s. My bud just bought a x and got it on 35s got it stuck and the D30 might as well have never been there in the first place, the moment it caught traction MULTIPLE components (all internal) failed and its out of warranty with the 35s causing it. The Rubis come from the factory on 32s (BFG KM2 255/70/R17) with 4:10 gearing in a 44 another 3" dia. isnt going to hurt as much as a sport with 30s and 3:73 in a puny 30. The 3.8 was able to run more reliably with the lower gears and bigger tires with the lack of power out the gate but with the 3.6 those same components have alot more strain, if you decide to go with a sport and still want those mods Id start setting up the cash for a swap in axle and wheel till you break yours (wont be an if but a when).

Hate to be a nay sayer, but youll never hear a professional saying youd be good wheeling 35s on 3:73 33s are the max recomended for that gear, just as 35s are the max for 4:10. Im not saying they wont spin, but it wont be fun for you or your vehicle.

COLORADO NATIVE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 pm 
LOST Member

CRDphenox wrote:
Save up a little extra and get the Rubi. 4:10s, Lockers, and a 4:1 Crawl are going to save you alot of $ in the long run with the 12s. My bud just bought a x and got it on 35s got it stuck and the D30 might as well have never been there in the first place, the moment it caught traction MULTIPLE components (all internal) failed and its out of warranty with the 35s causing it. The Rubis come from the factory on 32s (BFG KM2 255/70/R17) with 4:10 gearing in a 44 another 3" dia. isnt going to hurt as much as a sport with 30s and 3:73 in a puny 30. The 3.8 was able to run more reliably with the lower gears and bigger tires with the lack of power out the gate but with the 3.6 those same components have alot more strain, if you decide to go with a sport and still want those mods Id start setting up the cash for a swap in axle and wheel till you break yours (wont be an if but a when).

Hate to be a nay sayer, but youll never hear a professional saying youd be good wheeling 35s on 3:73 33s are the max recomended for that gear, just as 35s are the max for 4:10. Im not saying they wont spin, but it wont be fun for you or your vehicle.

All nice points but whats the point in a Jeep if you cant mod it out. Better axles better gears better bumpers better everything. So sorry I wont be spending the extra money on the Rubi even tho it would be nice. Again thanks for the input and points.

Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:24 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

But you have to think what every thing will cost
you want 35s, so you'll need to regear, do you reger the 30 or wait until it breaks and regear the 44 you put in?
I've looked and priced as well and if I get a Sport, I will have enough $$$$ ready to replace the front diff, regear it, lift, 35s etc the day it comes home with me
No use doing things two and three times

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am 
LOST Addict

Just buy a used unlimited rubi. Gives you the room in the back, no lame 4 door look, and all the pliers of a rubi, d44s, 4.10s, lockers etc etc. All you need are some quick discos(I have a buddy selling some) and you're good to go after you lift and get 35s

Sent using the force

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
But you have to think what every thing will cost
you want 35s, so you'll need to regear, do you reger the 30 or wait until it breaks and regear the 44 you put in?
I've looked and priced as well and if I get a Sport, I will have enough $$$$ ready to replace the front diff, regear it, lift, 35s etc the day it comes home with me
No use doing things two and three times

True very true. Its all something to think about.

Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

Budke wrote:
Just buy a used unlimited rubi. Gives you the room in the back, no lame 4 door look, and all the pliers of a rubi, d44s, 4.10s, lockers etc etc. All you need are some quick discos(I have a buddy selling some) and you're good to go after you lift and get 35s

Sent using the force

Unlimited rubi dont give me the same room I need in a 4 door! So that wont work for me. On a side note when I go home for xmas on Dec. 22 Ill be buying there. These ppl at Planet Dodge in Doral Fl are smoking crack wont even move off sticker and the doc fee is $899 :shock: !

Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Budke wrote:

Sent using the force

Rubicons already have disco's.

Post subject: Re: Re: Few Questions about '12 JK Unlimiteds?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Budke wrote:

Sent using the force

Rubicons already have disco's.

Even tj rubicons? I know jk rubicons do, didn't know the tjs do

Sent using the force

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D