It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Decisions to make
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man, I don't know what to do. I could either get a 2012 Rubicon or I could build up my TJ into a dream Jeep. If I go the JK Rubi route I won't have any money to customize the Jeep, but I'll have a brand new ride with some nice touches. Keeping the TJ I may have the opportunity to work with Trail Quest to get a major rebuild/redesign done (just a few items are ideas are listed below). Of course if I go the TJ route I'll have an insane amount of parts coming off the TJ which I'll probably put up for sale. Not sure which way I'll go, but I'll be making a decision in about 45 days so I'll keep you all posted especially if I end up building up the TJ and have parts available. :wink:

Golen 4.6L long block engine with all the performance suggestions that Golen Engine Service provides
Banks TorqueTube exhaust manifold
Banks Monster exhaust
Centerforce 2 clutch
Rubicon Express 4.5” tri-link long arm suspension system
Rancho RS9000XL shocks
Rancho MyRide system
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 33” (if 35” will fit and give me full flex then that would be even better)
4.56 gears

**Prior Jeeps**
Wranglers 1989, 1998, 2005
Liberty 2003 & 2004 Renegade

Post subject: Re: Decisions to make
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Check out some used jk Rubicons. My insurance dropped when i went to the jk just because its safer.

sent from my otterbox'd jeep camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ms5490renegade wrote:
Check out some used jk Rubicons. My insurance dropped when i went to the jk just because its safer.

How's the power on the "older" JK's? I'm definitely going to stick with a manual transmission which should mitigate some of the power issues, but is there any concerns over performance? Are there any gotcha's I should watch out for when looking for a JK? I've been around the block with the KJ, TJ, and YJ models so I know what to watch out for there, but haven't really dug into the JK much.

**Prior Jeeps**

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

The JK hydrolocks pretty easy...but I guess that is getting old. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I would get a JK...much better ride then the TJ.. :2cents:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject: Re: Re: Decisions to make
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

tonycrd wrote:
The JK hydrolocks pretty easy...but I guess that is getting old. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I would get a JK...much better ride then the TJ.. :2cents:

bad engineering on that part but the snorkels are plentiful and cheap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

meduncan wrote:
Ms5490renegade wrote:

How's the power on the "older" JK's? I'm definitely going to stick with a manual transmission which should mitigate some of the power issues, but is there any concerns over performance? Are there any gotcha's I should watch out for when looking for a JK? I've been around the block with the KJ, TJ, and YJ models so I know what to watch out for there, but haven't really dug into the JK much.

Fine. I have 35's with stock gearing. From what i hear if you have a programmer its back to stock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

matt keep the jeep last time i talked to you did you not say that you found the jeep that you want to keep for ever????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

teckman02 wrote:
matt keep the jeep last time i talked to you did you not say that you found the jeep that you want to keep for ever????

That was before the engine started to tick. Technically the engine likely only has a lifter and cam problem, but I don't like to do things half way and I may have an opportunity which affords me the ability to choose whether to completely trick out my existing Jeep or just get a new one. If I trick out my existing TJ then the entire interior is being replaced, the engine, and suspension are getting an upgrades, the soft top will be replaced, refresh the paint job, and of course I'll regear and add larger tires, among other things.

Given everything I want to do to the TJ I'd be in over $15K when the project was done. Using that money and trading in my TJ I could buy and build a nice JK with far fewer miles and better sound insulation. I know, I could insulate the inside of the TJ and buy a sailcloth soft top, but there's no guarantee that will get me anywhere near the sound levels of a JK.

Plans change and I'm still trying to make my decision so I'll keep you all posted. If I do sell the TJ I'll probably be asking $11,000 with everything staying on the TJ (winch, bumpers, high end radio, CB, 32" Mickey Thompsons, etc.). I'll continue to keep you posted and thanks to everyone for the input. It really helps.

**Prior Jeeps**

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

meduncan wrote:
teckman02 wrote:

That was before the engine started to tick. Technically the engine likely only has a lifter and cam problem, but I don't like to do things half way and I may have an opportunity which affords me the ability to choose whether to completely trick out my existing Jeep or just get a new one. If I trick out my existing TJ then the entire interior is being replaced, the engine, and suspension are getting an upgrades, the soft top will be replaced, refresh the paint job, and of course I'll regear and add larger tires, among other things.

Given everything I want to do to the TJ I'd be in over $15K when the project was done. Using that money and trading in my TJ I could buy and build a nice JK with far fewer miles and better sound insulation. I know, I could insulate the inside of the TJ and buy a sailcloth soft top, but there's no guarantee that will get me anywhere near the sound levels of a JK.

Plans change and I'm still trying to make my decision so I'll keep you all posted. If I do sell the TJ I'll probably be asking $11,000 with everything staying on the TJ (winch, bumpers, high end radio, CB, 32" Mickey Thompsons, etc.). I'll continue to keep you posted and thanks to everyone for the input. It really helps.

The jk is cheap to mod. 3.5 inch lift is more than enough ($7-900), new drive shafts (900), and a few skids. I'm in under 4000 on mine and i don't think there is much i can't do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ms5490renegade wrote:
The jk is cheap to mod. 3.5 inch lift is more than enough ($7-900), new drive shafts (900), and a few skids. I'm in under 4000 on mine and i don't think there is much i can't do

What size tires are you running and how stable does the JK feel in off camber situations? I'm thinking of running 33's with a 3.5" lift, but since the ride height varies between the TJ and JK I've heard I might even be able to run 35's while still maintaining full flex of the suspension. Would love to hear your thoughts and experience with rig setup.

**Prior Jeeps**

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

One thing nice about the JKs is you can run 35s with 3 inches of lift real easy, 33s and stock suspension almost
I'd keep it as low as possible lift wise depending on auto or manual box go 4.88s or so with 35s ( 5.13s work good with the automatic )
get a good lift like AEV and be done

Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Decisions to make
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:25 am 
LOST Junkie

meduncan wrote:
Ms5490renegade wrote:

What size tires are you running and how stable does the JK feel in off camber situations? I'm thinking of running 33's with a 3.5" lift, but since the ride height varies between the TJ and JK I've heard I might even be able to run 35's while still maintaining full flex of the suspension. Would love to hear your thoughts and experience with rig setup.

35's. I had one tippy situation that i felt uncomfortable on. Otherwise everything feels controllable and safe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 am 
LOST Member

just a suggestion, but with some metal cloaks and "proper bumpstopping" you can run 37's on a jk. I'm not sure what metal cloaks definition of proper bumpstopping is but that sounds like a pretty mean setup, not to mention 37's on a three inch lift would prolly be very easy and you would not lose much if any travel, i do know, however that the rear wheel wells are not made for a 37in. tire, and dumb@55 dealership near me had a 07 traded in with the 6 spd it was traded in with 35's and recentered h1 rims they sales manager decided he didn't like the 35's or the rims and got a set of 18in. whatevers and 37's (cant remember the make) the jeep was sittin on maybe 3 in. body lift and the rims had wwwaaayyyyy too much backspacing and would rub tire on the frame on the drivers side at full lock and when i hit a speed bump i heard a crunch and got out and the rear tire had bounced into the sheet metal body and bent it all to hell,(i was in the parking lot still) i took one look at the fat sales manager standing about 15 feet away and walked off he asked me what was wrong as i was walking back to my tj and i said ur an idiot, got in my tj and left... I have seen that jeep all over this post with different ppl driving it (i'm guessing taking it for a test drive for a day or whatever) but i don't think it was ever purchased. now i said all that to say this, the jk's have a lot more room for tire on them, and you can darn near fit 35's without modifying it at all (leveling kit and go) so I would say give the older jk a chance, by the way that jk had stock gearing in it and it took off with little problem (6sp).

mml & 1.25in bl awaiting install (i'm lazzzzyyyy!!)
31x10.50x15 toyo open country a/t's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:46 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:55 am 
LOST Member

There is no comparing aTJ to a new JK. I have an 03 TJ and love it. But I'd dump it in a heart beat if I could get a new JK. The JK with the 3.6 and manua Trans has plenty of power. If you go the JK route get the leather seats. Much more comfortable than the stock seats.

As an added bonus, I know a guy that will hook you up with a control number that will get you a new Jeep below dealer cost. Part of Chrysler friends and family program. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

curt7088 wrote:
just a suggestion, but with some metal cloaks and "proper bumpstopping" you can run 37's on a jk. I'm not sure what metal cloaks definition of proper bumpstopping is but that sounds like a pretty mean setup, not to mention 37's on a three inch lift would prolly be very easy and you would not lose much if any travel, i do know, however that the rear wheel wells are not made for a 37in. tire, and dumb@55 dealership near me had a 07 traded in with the 6 spd it was traded in with 35's and recentered h1 rims they sales manager decided he didn't like the 35's or the rims and got a set of 18in. whatevers and 37's (cant remember the make) the jeep was sittin on maybe 3 in. body lift and the rims had wwwaaayyyyy too much backspacing and would rub tire on the frame on the drivers side at full lock and when i hit a speed bump i heard a crunch and got out and the rear tire had bounced into the sheet metal body and bent it all to hell,(i was in the parking lot still) i took one look at the fat sales manager standing about 15 feet away and walked off he asked me what was wrong as i was walking back to my tj and i said ur an idiot, got in my tj and left... I have seen that jeep all over this post with different ppl driving it (i'm guessing taking it for a test drive for a day or whatever) but i don't think it was ever purchased. now i said all that to say this, the jk's have a lot more room for tire on them, and you can darn near fit 35's without modifying it at all (leveling kit and go) so I would say give the older jk a chance, by the way that jk had stock gearing in it and it took off with little problem (6sp).

Manual tranny makes stock gearing ok. I'm pushing it with my auto and 35's

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ArcherAce wrote:
There is no comparing aTJ to a new JK. I have an 03 TJ and love it. But I'd dump it in a heart beat if I could get a new JK. The JK with the 3.6 and manua Trans has plenty of power. If you go the JK route get the leather seats. Much more comfortable than the stock seats.

As an added bonus, I know a guy that will hook you up with a control number that will get you a new Jeep below dealer cost. Part of Chrysler friends and family program. :D

I love manual transmissions. It really makes you feel connected to the vehicle and you have the least amount of power loss since there's no torque converter involved. Thanks for offering to get me a control number! That would rock if you could swing one my way. No hurry on the number since I'm about three weeks out from buying a JK.

**Prior Jeeps**