It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driveshaft
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok so I've been looking at lifts and thinking about the driveshaft. I know if I go over 3" or 4" they reccomend a new driveshaft. How do I know which one to get for each different lift height. I am not gunna be doing the lift for a lil while longer it's just something people should know so it makes there life easier. Also I think I'm gunna go 3-4 inches and 33's I just want to make sure I get the right CV shaft.

-31" BFG AT's
-750 watt sub/amp
-sony deck
-lifting when I graduate and get some money
-custom cat back exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Keep some money to the side for a drive shaft. Install your lift and then wobble down to a driveshaft shop and get it custom made. That way there is no guess work in it. I have seen cases where all the measurements were done by the owner, then the measurements sent to a shaft dealer and when the shaft comes in it not fit right. I have seen that option work out too, but if you want it right for sure the first time. Get the lift on and then go get a shaft made specifically to your setup. It will not hurt to wobble down to a shop one time. Just try and stay at of the wobbling speed on the way there. You'll need a lift that has AUCA's also. I have 2.5" springs and 1.25" BL and did not need a new shaft until i got the Tummy tuck. I can fit 35"s with a slight rubbing. Once i get my tube fenders and crusher corners installed i'll fit them no probelm. If you go 4" of lift, look into a long arm lift. 3.5" of spring is about max for a short arm. HTH Cya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

if you are going straight to 3-4" i would suggest skipping the t-case drop that will come with the kit and go straight to sye. call up woodys and get an sye kit/driveshaft combo. tell him what lift and he will be able to make the driveshaft and include it with the sye kit.

otherwise you end up with a 1-2" t-case drop hanging down and may still end up with the shudder of death at around 45-55 mph. then there is the chance you will still bind up the rear shaft at full droop. plus with the sye, if you ever have to remove the rear driveshaft on the trail, you wont loose all of your fluids and you can drive out on the front

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:57 pm 
LOST Member

x 2 what KevH said. Exactly what my Bro-in-law did for his XJ and what I'm doing in another 3 months on my TJ.

http://www.active.com/donate/teamglasam ... 8/RWaddell