It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Wrangler and need help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 am 
LOST Member

I'm not new to the forum but selling my Liberty for a Wrangler :D Based on what I'm willing to spend, looks like I'll be in the TJ ballpark. I will be using this as my daily driver or about 25 miles round trip per day plus usual running around and occasional trail riding but nothing extreme. Since I will be in about the 1997-2003 range, is there anything I need to be aware of? I will be looking for primarily a 4.0 with 5 speed and hard top with extra soft top. I do want the full hard doors but other than that, I'm open for opinions and suggestions.

Post subject: Re: New to Wrangler and need help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Do ..not ...buy ...a ...4 banger!!!

Other than that, be on the look out for frame rot. Also....get used to 12 to 15 MPG :mrgreen:

Check here to get you orientated: http://www.wranglerforum.com

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:14 am 
LOST Member

tonycrd wrote:
Do ..not ...buy ...a ...4 banger!!!

Other than that, be on the look out for frame rot. Also....get used to 12 to 15 MPG :mrgreen:

Check here to get you orientated: http://www.wranglerforum.com

Thanks Tony...no I WILL NOT buy a 4 banger, talked to several who had them and not a pretty sight unless used strictly for putting around in the woods. Also, hoping for better than 12-15; was hoping for more like 17-19 but guess it depends on how it is set up ie. lift, huge tires, armor, winch, etc. and how it is driven. Maybe I can talk to the guy on the CRD side who gets 45 out of his CRD for some MPG increase advice. :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

You'll be surprised how much gas these things guzzle. :shock:

Anyway, look for a stock one, then you can build it up yourself (if you want to). A highly modified TJ will most likely have done some heavy wheeling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:35 am 
LOST Member

Any thoughts on long body vs. regular and auto vs. std?

I havn't looked inside of a long body but what does the extra room provide, more legroom in back seat or more storage space behind back seat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

LJ's (=TJ unlimited) are pricy. They are nice though, they have a trunk :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LJ's were only made from 03-06, get one if you can! Really nice to have the extra room in the back and the longer wheelbase gives a better ride. Have had no issues with the extra length off road (well, maybe one spot but it is a jeep and rash is part of the deal!). I get about 14mpg hwy with mine, 06 LJ Rubicon automatic, 33" MTR rubber. If you keep it stock you may get a little more mileage. I prefer the auto, but the manual boys think that a real jeep has to have a "manual", up to you and what you want. Automatics are GREAT when it comes to rock crawling.

As a side note, I have heard of some head issues and overheating problems with the 96-02 models. Maybe check out the forum noted above for specifics.

gg

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'm spying a 2005 Rubicon LJ that looks pretty clean and has 66,000 miles for a steal for 11,450 but it was a theft recovery so title is duly marked and priced accordingly. It is auto with hard top. Dealer is fixing the broken things such as new windshield, clockspring, hood latches, etc but will provide a warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It cannot be stressed enough about the frame rot that TonyCRD mentioned. That's the first thing I look for in TJ's. Also look around the windshield rubber seal for rust. The bent edge of the metal fenders where the hood covers the fender is also a place that tends to collect salt and rust. Don't be afraid to pull up the carpet under the drivers area and passengers area of the Jeep. Check for rusted floor boards.

Get under the Jeep and check the back of the engine for oil (between where the engine meets the transmission). The TJ has a reputation of blowing the main seal. If you see oil leaking around the back of the engine be wary. If you don't see anything initially be sure to check again after you have a test drive.

While you're under the TJ/LJ look for scratches or grooves on the frame and axle housings. These could indicate that the Jeep has been offroaded and then "restored" to its factory look for resale. Stay under the Jeep a bit longer and grab the drive shaft and try to move it around. Pay attention to the drive shaft u-joints to see if there's play in them (best way I can describe it). I would also set the parking brake on the Jeep, put the Jeep into gear, and slowly let off the brake to see if the parking brake holds the Jeep in place. If not the parking brake needs adjusted and if you're buying from a dealer I would have them do that as a condition of your purchase. Warning: It is highly likely that the parking brake will not hold the Jeep (most used TJ's I've tested have failed this test while on the lot) so pay attention to what's in front of you and have your foot ready to press the brakes.

Another check I perform is to shift the transfer case through its various stages and drive in a straight line to see if the case engages properly. As you know, you'll be able to tell the difference in the transfer case modes based on the engine sound and the general feel of the Jeep and speed at which it moves forward. If you can find a gravel or dirt road or can drive around in some grass I would not recommend turning on dry pavement while in 4Lo.

Beyond those things the rest is just normal vehicle checks you would do with any car purchase (i.e. serpentine belt, odd noises, drives straight while running down the road, during hard stops the vehicle shouldn't pull to either side, etc.).

**Prior Jeeps**
Wranglers 1989, 1998, 2005
Liberty 2003 & 2004 Renegade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:13 am 
LOST Addict

I have an 04 tj and do about the same driving as you. I get about 200 miles every tank and the tank is 15 gallons. Usually average 13-14mpgs. It's a 4.0, 5 speed, 3.07 gears and 33's. I have had no problems with it except a brake caliper locked up due to poor maintenance by the P.O. but fixed that and have had no problems and I have beat on it pretty good in the 6 months I've owned it.

Sent using the force

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I needed to know; especially the things that mention potential problems to look for. Still shopping, there are a lot to choose from and I'm in no hurry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:06 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Luckaly, you are not in any of the salt belt states, so you may find a TJ with no rust.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 am 
LOST Addict

If you can find a Florida jeep, buy it. Unless its lived its whole life on the coast it won't have any rust. My yj and tj are both Florida jeeps and none had any rust except some surface rust from some chipped paint from body damage.

Sent using the force

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

I found one yesterday that I am really considering. It's a 2001 4.0 auto with 76k miles. It comes with hard and soft top and has a lift but not sure what kind but it had Rough country shocks so maybe that is the lift as well. Its pretty clean but has mostly been sitting. Man bought it 3 years ago as a tow behind for his motor home. Found wet floor mat on passenger front but suspect fresh air cowl or where heater feeds through firewall as culprit. His bottom line is $10,000. I might bite :D although it is the solar yellow color; not my first color option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

$10k for a '01 is a major rip off considering it was most likely less then $20k brand new if they paid full MSRP.Wet passenger side floor is almost always a bad heater core in a TJ,if it has sat for long periods and towed it most likely was very poorly maintained.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Wrong colour, $10k...I'd search a little more...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am 
LOST Addict

That is a bad price. I paid 13k for my 04 with 58k miles. And it has about 3k worth of mods.

Sent using the force

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Budke wrote:
That is a bad price. I paid 13k for my 04 with 58k miles. And it has about 3k worth of mods.

Sent using the force

Wow you got royally ripped also.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Budke wrote:

Sent using the force

Wow you got royally ripped also.

Nope, it was in excellent condition, super clean inside and out, almost brand new Duratracs, and I had then change every fluid in it. Kbb listed it about 16k. And it was 13k out the door, not before taxes and such. I was going to buy a 2011 JK but didn't feel like spending 21k on a jeep.

Sent using the force

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

liberty2.8:

I don't know if you've made your purchase yet, but if not, try to find an '03 or newer if you're getting an auto tranny. Until 2003 the TJ automatic was the 32RH 3 speed with no overdrive, in 2003 they switched to the 42RLE 4 speed, the same auto tranny used in '03+ KJs

If you want a stick, get an '04+ as they have a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed.

More gears tends to equal (slightly) better mileage.

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install