It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auxilliary power for TJ/LJ with auto tranny
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did a fair bit of research on this. The main options considered were based on (1) sPOD system (http://www.4x4spod.com), (2) Blue Sea fuse blocks, especially the 5025 http://bluesea.com/category/81/21/products/5025, and the Painless 7-circuit fuse block, see http://www.quadratec.com/products/97015_07.htm. I opted for the latter option. But I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a ground bus, so I'm adding one.

I really like the sPOD system and think the price is good for the quality. But I wanted to avoid adding boxes to the engine compartment and only plan to add three or four circuits. the Blue Sea block is really nice, but wasn't going to fit well in my planned mounting location plus you have to add your own relay if you want switched power. So I opted for the Painless 7-circuit block, which I'm adding to a plate that mounts in the cab. I have an automatic transmission, so the space for the clutch master cylinder is available.

What I accomplished so far was to finish the mounting plate:

The plate is a 7" length of 1/4x4" aluminum plate. That happens to be the size of a small trailer license plate, which I used for a fit check. It might have been better to use a 6.5" length as it barefly fits. The large hole in the middle is 1.5" in diameter and corresponds to the large hole for the clutch master cylinder. The two 3/8" holes next to it are for mounting bolts to attach to the firewall. At the bottom are four 10-32 holes to attach the Painless fuse block. It comes with some elastomeric stand-offs, which is required for routing the wires. At the top are two 10-32 holes to attach a ground bus bar. I would have just bought one, but had a piece of 1/4 x 3/4" brass. So my next step is to make the ground bus bar. I just have to drill holes for the mounting screws and add threaded holes to attach ground wires.

I haven't decided yet whether to ground the plate or not. I'm posting early just in case anyone has a thought on that. The original plan was to isolate the ground bus bar from the aluminum plate. I want to avoid "ground loops". But the relay is wired to get its ground via one of the mounting screws. So either I have to ground the plate, or I have to rewire the relay to get ground from the bus bar.

It's not a big project but I'll only have small blocks of time to work on it. I plan to finish it by the end of January.

The mounting plate was fabbed with household tools, by the way. I cut the plate with a 30-year-old hack saw. I drilled all the holes with a 30-year-old 3/8" drill. I do have a modern band saw and drill press, but bought them for wood work.

I only decided to make the bus bar myself because I had a strip of brass lying around from another project. Otherwise I would have bought a bus junction block. Or it might make sense to use the aluminum mounting plate as the bus junction block.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

Post subject: Re: Auxilliary power for TJ/LJ with auto tranny
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I finished installing the auxilliary fuse block this weekend. Here is the fuse block assembly (mounting plate, fuse block, bus bar) prior to installation in the Jeep. I made a large gasket / grommet thingy out of rubber. The rubber is whatever was lying around Ace Hardware. (Feels like butyl.) It would have been better to use silicone. When I replace it some day I'll be more careful.

Here is the assembly mounted in the Jeep. This is inside the cab on the driver's side, at the holes for the clutch master cylinder. Not shown is a 10-AWG ground wire that connects to the bus bar.

10-AWG power wires (12V and ground) are routed through the fire wall to the engine compartment, where they're combined in a loom.

Here you can see how I mounted the circuit breaker for the 12V supply. I used a pair of 3/8" clamps to attach to the structural tube that's mounted longitudinally. After connecting the wires I covered everything with a liquid electrical tape.

And here you can see how the power and ground wires are brought to the battery. It's pretty clean.

For the control of the fuse box relay, I tapped into the radio fuse (#14 I believe). Didn't take a picture of that.

Based on a few measurements with a volt meter, it seems to work! Next step is to hook up a CB and then a Ham radio. Hope to install the CB and antenna next weekend.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

Post subject: Re: Auxilliary power for TJ/LJ with auto tranny
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Nice work, Draco. Your fuse block and the wiring look factory!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997