It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: air ride??
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello all. Forgive me if there is a section already located somewhere on here, but I haven't seen it yet. I am new to the forum.

Those of you who are "not 25 anymore" will likely relate more than those that haven't beat their bodies up yet (yes we were all young and indestructible once, but it catches up to you... trust me).

While being 60 is a little late maybe to get into off-roading... I'm not dead yet, so I'm researching. It'll likely be a older wrangler or a CJ if I can find one. rag top... larger than stock tires... but not too crazy.

A few days ago I sorta off roaded my 94 Dodge 2500 2WD... while she will haul 15 or 18,000 down the highway just fine and has done so many times in her 286,000 and counting miles... the hard 80 psi load range E and stock 8800 suspension left a lot to be desired on 58 miles of wash board gravel. Too long on the wheel base and too low to get onto the back trails. I understand the Wrangler and their cousins are fairly stiff suspended too. Since I spent 3 years of my youth at 80,000 lbs with an air-ride suspension and an air ride cab, it got me thinking.

Have any of you built up an air ride on the Wrangler? or a CJ (I'd love to find an old v8 powered CJ)?

How about a body isolation airbag setup with a added subframe, thus leave the springs and/or coil suspension as it is? Its done on many (maybe all now) semi cabs....

Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Dave