It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 03 wrangler ECM questions and Error codes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2003 Wrangler X with 4.0 automatic. I have a tremendous amount of error codes coming up. I have up to 9 in the last two days. P0340--P0353--P0352--P0351--P1391--P0340, and several for the transmission including A torque converter solenoid pack and wrong gear ratio. I cleared all of them and the P0340 keeps coming back along with the P1391. The other codes are coil paks and the crank pos sensor. The jeep was stalling out every mile and when I cleared the codes. it starts and runs until the P0340 Cam sensor code came on. I replaced the cam pos sensor and although the code comes back up again, the car does not stall. The battery was old and I replaced it because I know it can negatively affect the ECM if the voltage is low. I also unplugged the harnesses from the control units and checked them out and they all look fine.

The transmission codes have been coming and going for three months. The car will downshift abruptly about once every week.

My questions are to understand the ECM and how the codes affect it. I am thinking of replacing the unit to see if that is where the problem lies. Can the failure of one component like a cam pos sensor cause the other codes to appear too (like the multiple coil paks)? If I replace every component that has a code showing up, I will be almost be buying a new car. Does the ECM also control the transmission?

I am looking for any advice you may have on the ECM.

Post subject: Re: 03 wrangler ECM questions and Error codes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I nosed around a little regarding your issues. The TCM controls the transmission, ECM is for the engine.
My suggestion would be get out your multi meter and trace every wire and check every connector, both on the engine and transmission. Sounds like a broken or grounded wire, maybe more than one. Also make sure you check the starter electrical connections. If you live in a cold zone, you could also have some corrosion issues in your harnesses.

These Jeeps are kind of know for having wiring issues.

Good luck, never fun running gremlins down.

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother