It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this the end for my engine? (2002, 4.0)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok...So I bought this jeep last august...Things went well when we checked it out and all, but around mid-late November, this tick/tap sound came after another oil change...Needless to say it got very loud, and I brought it into a shop. They said it was not abnormal but a rocker arm was loose. They tightened things up, and things sounded fine for about 2 weeks...Then the sound came back but more subdued.

The thing with this sounds is it comes and goes...If the temperature is 30 degrees or less, it is generally there until the engine hits close to or at 210. From there it just kinda dies out...But seeing as the weather has been much warmer recently, the tick has not been there...Now from what I can tell, it only comes after my jeep has been sitting overnight, or at the end of my shift, so roughly 8 hours of sitting, everything is settled, and I get *tick tick tick* but ONLY if it was below 30 for that time...

A friend of mine is up from out of state, and he was finally over and heard it crank up...The first thing he told me was to ditch it because it's more than likely a scarred cylinder with a feathering piston in it...To me, it does not sound that loud (My friends ZJ blew a piston, and dear god that made a bang)...

I looked around for another fear inside, and from what I can tell my 2002 TJ was a late 2001 production with the oh so glorious 0331 head...And not a TUPY head...

From the video, what is anyone's opinion about it? I cannot afford an engine swap, but If I am able to get a refab'd TUPY head and the whole shebang of lifters, push rods, and whatnot, does that sound like the right path to go? I am getting mixed answers from people that range from "dump the jeep", to "it only ticks in cold weather? good thing spring is around the corner, don't touch it!"

Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to put as much info as I could...

http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/mpw5643/media/SDC10594_zps265f1cff.mp4.html

*Note: the hollow sound was the idler pulley, I fixed that the next day...*...

Post subject: Re: Is this the end for my engine? (2002, 4.0)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

From a former 2000 XJ owner who replaced the 0331 head: If your coolant isn't slowly disappearing, you probably don't have a cracked head. The coolant + crankcase oil = worn cam bearings --> low oil pressure --> bad things happen. Noise by itself may be something else, but if you aren't having to top off your radiator coolant every week or two (and can't find an obvious leak), then your 0331 head is probably still intact (or at least it isn't cracked in the usual place).

If you want more information on the 0331 head, I started a thread on Chrokeeforum.com a few years ago that still occasionally gets some mileage. There are links to other informative threads on the 0331 head there too. Good luck!
--LFH

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how-often-do-0331-cylinder-heads-crack-please-vote-if-you-have-late-99-01-xj-68400/

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997