It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: gumbys 91 yj
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Got axle centered, pinion angle done, shock mounts done.

Perches and shock tabs burned in.

Don't look to closely. I haven't t quite welded enough with this 225 buz box to get a good feel of how it runs. Welds are not real pretty.

91 yj- 2.5L bored, cammed, ported intake,4.0tb,ford 19lb injectors,2.5 exhaust, Ax5 4.88 gears 3.5 BDSlift 33x10.5 bfg km2 lock right(front diff) 8.8 rear, sye, external slave, Durango steering box, browndog off-road mounts

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Today I have fully assembled the 8.8 and got it painted and bolted in. Had to do something I didn't really want to do, but no way around it. When you re-gear a 8.8 to 4.88s, you either have to buy a notched cross pin(not recommended)/or grind about a 1/16" off of 2 teeth on the ring gear. Wasn't thrilled to take a grinder to my new ring and pinion. I had no choice.

After I played the spider gear puzzle I realized my cross pin doesn't fit. Time to call up my ford guru and get some ideas

After several attempts of grinding just barely and trying to install the pin, this is how much had to come off.

Back on all four tires. My RC springs had settled 2" almost.
I'm liking the new stance so far with these BDS springs. Can't wait to tackle the front.

I was told not to worry, the pinion doesn't mesh with the ring gear where I ground it down and no damage will be done. My ford guru has been messing with blue ovals longer than I have lived so I hope he's right. Lol

Once the 8.8 got bolted down, I started brake line fabing. I had enough line to make the short hard line, but was 2" short for the long one. Another trip to the store for me. I also have to replace my calipers(rear). They sat too long in the elements. I can't compress them enough to put the brake pads in.

Rear is almost finished. One more hard line, new calipers, get some bolts for pinion flange, and have my drive shaft cut down. I'm so ready to spin it around and tackle the front.

91 yj- 2.5L bored, cammed, ported intake,4.0tb,ford 19lb injectors,2.5 exhaust, Ax5 4.88 gears 3.5 BDSlift 33x10.5 bfg km2 lock right(front diff) 8.8 rear, sye, external slave, Durango steering box, browndog off-road mounts

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Things are moving along nicely (at the moment). Jeep is tired around and front is tore down. This is my first d30 r&p so this is a learning process.

Axle is out, about to pull the chunk.

Took a picture and marked caps with a punch

When I pulled the pinion out, I was greeted with this.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 am 
LOST Newbie

I'll catch you up. I'm a day behind. Last night I hammered out the driver side axle seal and installed the new one. I messed up and bought 2 lefts. When you do a xj/tj axle swap in a yj you need a special seal to hammer in the axle tube on the passenger side. (Got 2 on the way, be here Sunday).

Managed to pull the bearings off the carrier and pinion without damage. And laid out all the shims in order I found them. Made a sketch to go with.

My new tool getting put to use

These markings mean things, still trying to figure out if I need exact or more on new pinion.

She's all split.

The method of organization to my madness.

Now for today's festivities.

Pulled the gear box off. Pressure line came off great. Return line is rusted to the fitting so had to bend it and kink it to remove from steering box. Time fo a new one.

Out with the old, and in with a new DodgeDodgengo box(when it gets here)

I'm not ever going to run a sway bar again, so time to chop off the sway bar mounts.

Installed my brown dog offroad engine mount bracket. The old one has broke twice. My weld job didn't hold. Lol

This happened while tightening the mount bracket bolts.
What in the sh$+ is this horse fu(#ery

Replaced driver side mount also, didnt know it was completely separated.

Also discovered the steering shaft from column to box is garbage. The little ujoints are seized and the collapsible part don't do its job well. Buying a new one.

Also gave it a tune up, new rc12lyc plugs, new cap and wires.

Pulled hubs off old axles and put them on the new axles.

Hung rears of the front springs.

Still contemplating a steering box brace and outter axle tube seals. I think those(outter seals) would be good so dirt and water don't collect in the disconnect void.

Sunday I plan on grinding out the inside of the old bearings to use as set up bearings, and then try and get my d30 done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:03 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm way behind on updates for you guys. Well here we go

New bearings and gears ready to install

Some gear painting pics.

Bolted the axle back under it and waited for more parts.

At this point, I decided to buy outter axle tube seals for extra protection. I got a set of TJ axle shafts and got rid of the vacuum disconnect garbage. I should have taken pictures of getting the passenger side axle tube seal in. It's sucked. Glad I bought two. LolLol

My steering shaft was beyond trashed, so it got a new one along with a Durango steering box.

It's done. It's on all fours. Took my xj front driveshaft and had shortened to 18 1/2". Had to buy a new master/slave cylinder assembly. The used one wouldn't work.

So yea, I made a whoops. Lol after my first test drive I had fluid coming from the front pinion.
Imagenote the seal has something shiny in the center, that's right I installed it backwards. Yep, yep. Stupid me. Easy fix, got a new seal and hammered it in the correct way.

During the next couple of drives my speedo would intermediately work. Had to clock my speedo drive to fix the issue. The o-ring that seals it however is seeping a bit now on the tcase.

I've put roughly 400 miles on it since all the gear work. Only complaint is a slight harmonic vibration at 50+, once I get to 60-65 seems to fad away. I do not drive this every day so I'm not going to mess with it. The steering is crazy awesome, but the ride is night and day different. Its SO SO much better. I can run 70 down interstate with little effort. Its just awesome. Wished I done all this sooner. My mpgs are back up around the 17 range(compared to 12).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Decided to spray some rubberized undercoat down on my floor to help with heat a bit. Of course things couldn't go smooth. The passenger front seat bracket bolt broke and the body has ripped around it.

I didn't take any photos of the repair work. I fixed it by making a cut and folded back the sheetmetal and then folded back the metal strip the kep nut was made on. Cut the nut off, found a bolt and stuck thru the bottom like a stud. Welded the head of the bolt to the metal strip, folded back down, welded strip in. Beat the sheetmetal back down and stitched it back together.

I got a lot of scrubbing to do.

All finished. Letting it dry and installing everything back.

I'll see how it lasts. If it doesn't do well, I'll be in the look out for a bedliner thats not a rough finish. I tend to hop in my jeep with bare feet and my female passengers usually wear flip flops. So a smooth surface would be best.