It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wife wants a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 am 
LOST Newbie

My wife wants a 2011 or newer. We both like the Wrangler but have only been on test drives. What's the experience as a daily driver and long term ownership? Most of the time it would be the daily driver grocery getter with occasion light duty off road trips. Rubicon edition is way over kill for our needs but that's what wife wants and happy wife = happy life.
Wife's current daily driver is fully loaded AWD mini-van
I'd like to hear from folks that have had their Jeeps for a while, good & bad.
Thanks

oh, and a mini-van (shhhh!)

Post subject: Re: Wife wants a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I know this is an older post but thought I would respond anyway.
I have a '08 JKU and my wife has a '14 JKU. We love them. Both are daily drivers. I am sitting at 96k my wife's is at 5800. Lol. She drives the least obviously.
Both are done up with lifts, OME HD's, mine on 35's hers is 33's.
To pieces of advice, get the 3.6L and the other make sure you either get one with a trans cooler or install one.
For mileage mine got 25mpg going to Yellowstone from Vegas but usually sits around 14-15. My wife's gets around 16-18 and she drives it like she stole it. Thank god it isn't a V8, lol.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info.

oh, and a mini-van (shhhh!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have 27k on a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon, including several offroad trail runs.

It is my daily driver most of the time. This is not a sports car. It feels very truck-like. Not car-like at all. You will not find it to be a good high speed driver. Oh, it has plenty of power to do it, but is obviously the wrong tool for that job. Having said that, cruising the interstate at 75 is no problem. Watch out when it is windy, as the wind can move you around.

If you park with the nose even the least bit up hill, the doors will swing back closed (perhaps onto your legs) when you open them. I am used to this, but it will catch a passenger out. :banghead:

I love driving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 am 
LOST Newbie

We've had 7 jeeps in 40 plus years and if I was to say which jeep was the best of the lot, it has to be the JKU. Clearly the last run 2017 has all the upgrades with possible flaws worked out. For the time being avoid the 2018/19 JLU wrangler as this version has several issues dealers are having to deal with like inferior/flawed frame welds. However if you can look past the flaws of the JLU you're going to have to deal with what is known as ESS which has been installed within all 2018 or newer models.

If you're not familiar with ESS, (engine start stop) this is where when the vehicle reaches a complete stop, the engine shuts off and is suppose to reengage at take off. If you've never noticed this, next time you're at a stop light, listen to other vehicles around you as when they stop their engines shut off, yet the electronics like radio, AC etc continue to run.

Matter of fact, I was recently banned by the JLWrangler forum for mention that the JL wrangler has these issues. Clearly that forum and Jeep doesn't want customers to know of these flaws. One thing is clear, if you decide to purchase the JL or JLU best pay close attention to the salesman because if he / she doesn't mention that the jeep is equipped with ESS, you might be in for trouble as we're already seeing an influx of used JLU's on dealer lots simply because customers buying the new jeep are not being told of this engine shutoff technology thus while driving they think the jeep has a stalling issue.

So unless you haven't grown up with ESS, then it may or may not bother you with the engine not being so responsive at take off. Right now is a great time to get a 2017 -2018 JK/JKU model which doesn't have these issue or ESS.

GL with your purchase.

2.5 inch Tough Dog 4x4 Coil Springs
TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter
McGard Wheel Locks / Door Hinge Pin Locks
Synergy Brake Line Relocation Brackets
Reproduction 17x8.5 HardRock Wheels
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Rubicons are fun! I have nothing but positive things to say about them. Just shop around and see what you can expect to get at mileage intervals. I always compare prices on Craigslist, AutoTrader, and Autolist to find the best mix for my budget. Good luck with your search! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 pm 
LOST Member

Ristin wrote:
My wife wants a 2011 or newer.

...one word of advice... keep your wife! :wink:

But yes the JKU is a great fun family car.
Just bought ours. It's our 5th Jeep. Last one was a fantastic Liberty CRD.

Go for it and have fun!

Airtex lift pump