It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Damp carpet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:07 pm 
LOST Member

I have an intermittent problem with my 2016 JKU. The carpets get damp. It has a soft top, and it has slush mats. Lately in my neck of the woods, it's been unseasonably warm and humid. No rain though. I noticed this problem in the fall as well on days that were cool and humid. It does not appear to have a leak. I will check the underside of the slush mats, find they have condensation, and the carpets will be wet. I usually pull the mats, pop the top open, and let the Jeep sit in the sun for a few hours to dry things out. However, I need ideas on how to stop the problem in the first place. Would adding vent visors plus cracking the windows help? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Damp carpet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 am 
LOST Newbie

@hatteras8926 this is a known issues with nearly all jeep wranglers. Over it life, there's been some changes to the soft top design but still the issue remains. Even our 2017 has a small leak issue around the drivers side door but this is main due to how the jeep is parked during the day while at work. When we know it's going to rain, we back the jeep into our spot instead of pulling in forward. Must have something to do with the slant of the parking lot as well as the slant of the forward soft top. Granted we do have factory half doors which do not seal as well as we hoped. Within the next few months we should acquire a new soft top which doesn't have the forward slant design in the hopes it will eliminate this small drainage issue in the jeep. Otherwise, pull the plugs in the floor board or take the jeep in for "water fording" by a certified technician.

Edited:

Just wanted to share one more part of this drainage issue, Jeep is synonymous for designing things that just don't work or fit correctly. One of the main issues with this drainage issue is the design of the door surrounds. In our case 2017 Wrangler Unlimited the front door (drivers side) surrounds have a channel which abruptly stops approx 2-3 inches away from the windshield pillar.

Upon opening the door, the soft top lifts up slightly allowing the water to flow down into this channel than right into the floor on the drivers side. Currently I'm searching for better designed door surrounds with either an extended channel or no channel at all. I've taken notice of Smittybilt door surrounds which have removable channels used for soft top with the cable style enclosure. We're not able to purchase anything yet, because it's unclear as to what style surrounds are needed for the rampage trailview truck top.

2.5 inch Tough Dog 4x4 Coil Springs
TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter
McGard Wheel Locks / Door Hinge Pin Locks
Synergy Brake Line Relocation Brackets
Reproduction 17x8.5 HardRock Wheels
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E

Last edited by RubiconFreedom on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Try to adjust the soft doors properly so they seal really good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:38 am 
LOST Newbie

hatteras8926 wrote:
I have an intermittent problem with my 2016 JKU. The carpets get damp. It has a soft top, and it has slush mats. Lately in my neck of the woods, it's been unseasonably warm and humid. No rain though. I noticed this problem in the fall as well on days that were cool and humid. It does not appear to have a leak. I will check the underside of the slush mats, find they have condensation, and the carpets will be wet. I usually pull the mats, pop the top open, and let the Jeep sit in the sun for a few hours to dry things out. However, I need ideas on how to stop the problem in the first place. Would adding vent visors plus cracking the windows help? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Also - as Rhyan said - after some rain my half doors let in enough water to where it gets a little damp in the footwells.

The carpets in these JK's are like tampons - they absorb a lot of moisture and keep it there unless you dry them out. In addition to better sealing, I'd suggest either the mopar floor liners (got them, love them) or bed lining the tub. I take the liners out every so often, wipe out the tub and clean it up just like any other paint on the jeep. My carpets were always wet from water dripping in from the doors being open, and it would stay there until I dried them out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do you have any carpets on? maybe that is the issue. in my case for my jl I did purchase https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215185ac.html just so the carpet won't get that damp so I suggest you cover all floor with heavy or all-weather mat.