It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Was Done To Your Wrangler Today
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wasn't today, but was over the weekend. We've had these reproduction hardrock wheels in our basement for 2 years awaiting new tires. 1 month ago we had a small set back in getting those tires. We ended up having to replace the Drag link, Tie rod, both sway links and the steering damper.

Now that we've worked past this small set back, we finally had a chance to mount a Nitto Ridge Grappler on 1 of these reproduction hardrock wheels. We're test fitting one 285/75/17 E tire on one reproduction hardrock wheel. The reason we're just doing one wheel and one tire, is because we've been given a chance to return these wheels if we're not completely satisfied. The issue however, is no tires can be mounted on these wheels for the refund. So we risked 1 wheel and 1 tire for this experiment.

Arriving early morning, we spoke with the tire shop's wheel guy and we're both on the same page. I couldn't believe how on target this wheel guy was. Here checked everything with a fine tooth comb. We went from 245/75/16 to 285/75/17

The spare tire was successfully mounted, balanced and test fitted on the rear of the 017 Wrangler as well as the front of the wrangler then checked for turning radius and if there was any issues with rubbing. We've had this lone wheel & tire in the basement awaiting the other 4 tires. But one thing is clear, this tire is big way bigger than we had expected.

Mind you most tend to go and say you should do 35'' Hell I can't even pick up these 34's without any help. Just another reason we're looking forward to installing a rear bumper that has a mechanical arm that will lower the spare if and when we need it.

That's one down, four more to go. Stay tuned...

2.5 inch Tough Dog 4x4 Coil Springs
TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter
McGard Wheel Locks / Door Hinge Pin Locks
Synergy Brake Line Relocation Brackets
Reproduction 17x8.5 HardRock Wheels
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E

Last edited by RubiconFreedom on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What Was Done To Your Wrangler Today
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Continuation:

Because of the cool temps this morning, I've set aside time to clay bar the hood of the jeep. Apparently we park in an area where we're getting some sort of over spray on the jeep. Although other parts of the jeep have this over spray, I was just able to do the hood. However, Using mothers clay bar kits is a good idea, we ran into an issue where the spray detailer supplied with the kit, made the treatment look hazy or milky.

So in mid stream, I switched to Jet Black detailer as offered by turtle wax. The jet black worked better than the mothers detailer. I never thought I could do this clay treatment to any vehicle. But it was easy enough anyone can do it as long as you work small areas at one time then wipe clean with a microfiber towel.

One thing I've also noticed is that the newly installed DPA wheel lugs are fading. I contact DPA and they're not willing to do anything about this. So I've elected to clean these lugs, lightly sand then spray them gloss black. I've set up a jig to do 2 lugs at a time and this process will take me some time. Hoping that I'll complete these lugs just in time for the new tires.

One other thing we've been working on secret, is that I'm redesigning the jeep's half doors, I've hated how these plastic windows flop down into our laps when we want to open the windows.. Not sure if and when we'll post pics of this cause it's going to take some doing to remove the fabric panels from the molded plastic inners.

2.5 inch Tough Dog 4x4 Coil Springs
TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter
McGard Wheel Locks / Door Hinge Pin Locks
Synergy Brake Line Relocation Brackets
Reproduction 17x8.5 HardRock Wheels
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E