It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YJ lift advice needed - edit: the build begins
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

I posted awhile back that I am 'allowed' to lift Lois's '95 YJ. :D

However, I promised that I would never scratch it. :cry:

After researching things with the goal of running 33's (the right way), I'm thinking of dialing it back a bit due to $$$ and sticking to 31's/32's. This rig probably will only see trails once in a while, so I'm thinking 2.5" lift, maybe a 1" body lift (if needed - I know everyone hates them - I wouldn't do more than 1") - and/or shackles. Then just some disconnects for the sways.

Questions:

1. Will I need to do a SYE with only the 2.5" lift?
2. Will it need a transfer case drop (in lieu of SYE)?
3. Extended brake lines?
4. Will it need to be re-geared (if she wants to retain quick acceleration)?
5. Drop pitman arm?
6. Steering stabilizer (is death wobble an issue at 2.5")?

My assumption is that I wouldn't need to do any of the above (except for maybe #3 and #5) if it's not going to be used off road much.

Any advice?

Thanks for your support!

Todd

Last edited by phxtoad on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm not as knowledgeable on YJ's as I am on TJ's but I Will pass on what I have learned.

1. You may not get driveline vibes with only 2.5 inches, but each Jeep is different. Ideally you should do a SYE just to err on the side of caution. A transfer case drop and/or a motor mount lift can also take care of the vibes but this seems to be the poor man's way to deal with it. It will kind of depend on your budget. But remember dropping the t-case makes you lose some of the clearance gained by lifting.
2. See number 1.
3. I've heard YJ brake lines are already pretty long. It was suggested to me to use stock YJ lines to replace the broken line I have with my 5.5 inch lift.
4. If stock gears were 3.07 then yes I would regear. 3.73 might be livable but 4.10's would be best with 32's.
5. On TJ's they say drop pitman arms will cause bumpsteer on small lifts like you're talking. The thing you need to determine whether or not you need a drop pitman arm is if the lift is enough to cause your track bar and draglink to come out of parallel, then you will need a DPA to correct this. Since YJ's don't come with track bars due to the leaf springs that will be hard to tell. I would try it with the stock pitman arm first since it is not a large lift and drive it around the block a few times to see if the handling has been affected. Then you'll know if you need to get a drop pitman arm.
6. A stock stabilizer would probably be okay for those size tires, but only if it is not worn out. If it is still the factory original, I would replace it anyway. It is just a shock that's valved different and can wear out just like your other shocks.

Hope this helps.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject: Re: YJ lift advice needed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

phxtoad wrote:
After researching things with the goal of running 33's (the right way), I'm thinking of dialing it back a bit due to $$$ and sticking to 31's/32's. This rig probably will only see trails once in a while, so I'm thinking 2.5" lift, maybe a 1" body lift (if needed - I know everyone hates them - I wouldn't do more than 1") - and/or shackles. Then just some disconnects for the sways.

Good choice for ya sounds like. everybody dont hate BLs but I wouldnt recommend one over 1.25" which is what I got. They serve a good purpose IMO.

phxtoad wrote:
Questions:

3. Extended brake lines?
5. Drop pitman arm?

My assumption is that I wouldn't need to do any of the above (except for maybe #3 and #5) if it's not going to be used off road much.

Answers:

1. Prolly not, like stated before every jeep is different BUT you should be ok.
2. No dont do this either :lol: Defeats the purpose of liftin'. If you really were worried then get the SYE instead. T-case drops are one of the dumber things Ive seen out there, and are only made to cut corners for people who want a quick and cheap fix IMO.
3. Nope, dont need em YJs are plenty long
4. Prolly yea, 4.10s would be my first choice. Good all round gear for a lift/tire size like the one your talkin bout
5. Didnt need one on my TJ, yet...
6. Would recommend it. Remeber though a new stabilizer/upgraded one is just a band aid for death wobble and NOT a cure so dont get caught in that trap. They are cheap as hell at any Pep Boys and should be in stock.

Dont need to really do ANY of the above at all, but you could if you choose. Its your money boss aint ours 8)

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:52 pm 
This member has been Banned

phxtoad wrote:
Questions:

3. Extended brake lines?
5. Drop pitman arm?

1. not if you drop the T-case but sye is prefered
2. see #1
3. probably not with only 2.5" of lift but your choice in shocks will determain that
4. sorry to say but 99% yes it probably has 3.07 gears and with 32's you will want at least 3.73's now 4.10 will give it life like never befor. This also brings up the question of lockers/LSD's the cost is only parts as the labor is in the regear
if you go LSD's (tru-tracks front and rear) the DD will not be affected but the off road will be night and day
5. probably not
6. I would say yes

some notes about a '95
I would bet that the bushings on the front end are shot and that can cause D/W
also the ball joints should be looked at they too can cause D/W
YJ's do have a front track bar and it is needed for good road maners but the sway bar make little differance
My brother has a '94 and many of these issues have come up
it has 4" and runs 35's by the slightest he had 3.07's and even with the I6 and only 33's he could not use 5th gear
now he has 4.56's and can probably pull wheelies
he had the track bar bushings go out and D/W set in ,ball joints same thing
he droped the T-case only about an inch on a 4" lift so with 2.5" you may only need to do about 1/2" and a motor mount lift

I probably know more and forgot something so if you have more questions just ask

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

I had a '92 YJ for about 12 years. After about 4 years and almost 100,000 on the odometer, I decided it was time for some mods. I installed OME springs, shocks, transfer case drop kit, and greaseable shackle bolts. I had 31" BFG All Terrain TAs on ARE Bajas, and covered them with wider flares. Rode far better than it ever had, and was still easy enough to get in and out of! Never had the slightest suspension problem, and eventually sold the Jeep with close to 350,000 miles on it.

2006 Silver Unlimited Rubicon w/OME suspension, Jeeperman side bars, various skids, Hanson front bumper w/Warn 9.5ti, Tuffy overhead console, Wet Okole seat covers, other various goodies....

Post subject: Advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:17 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks everyone - excellent advice, especially on the front end wear items. Now if everyone will please send in their donation to this project I can begin! :D

So far, the only mod I have scheduled is mirror relocation brackets next weekend. Doh!

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

What 2.5" lift kit are you going with? I have the 2.5" Rubicon Express lift on my YJ with some 1" shackles and I got a lot more than 2.5" of lift out of it (ended up with about 4.5-5" total). I ended up going with longer break lines, SYE, and new CV rear driveshaft. The kit didn't come with a drop pitman arm either, so I had to get one of those. Every Jeep is different, but if you're going with an RE lift kit, plan on getting more than the advertised 2.5" of lift, which might mean you will need to spend more $$$ on the SYE, CV, DPA, etc.

1997 XJ Sport - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1948 CJ2A Willys - my new project

Post subject: Kit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Stick,

Not sure on which one I'm going to get. I've looked at the RE kit, also BDS, Skyjacker, etc. - I like that the RE kit includes a lot of other items (discos, etc.). I really have no preferences.

It'll be a phased build I'm sure, so I'm hoping that I can run it with the basic lift before making the other upgrades.

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

When I was in the market for a lift kit, I found that most people preferred either RE or BDS.

1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:39 am 
LOST Junkie

phxtoad wrote:
I posted awhile back that I am 'allowed' to lift Lois's '95 YJ. :D

However, I promised that I would never scratch it. :cry:

Questions:

3. Extended brake lines?
5. Drop pitman arm?

Any advice?

Thanks for your support!

Todd

Okay, here's my two cents on this topic;

Firstly let me say that is one fine YJ you have there. I seldom see any with a shine, most are beaten & scratched. I'm not positive if you'll be able to get 33's under a 2.5" suspension lift. A one or two inch body lift (about $100) may get 32's under your fenders. How big of an engine do you have?
I'm assuming that since you don't want to scratch your ride you're not considering any more than mild stock trails. Maybe what you need is a mild upgrade.
I have some experience on the YJ, I have a 95 with a 4" RE lift running on 33's(its definitely not shiny). Lets look at each of the questions you've made.

nope, I'm running a YJ with 4" of suspension lift without a SYE or any driveline vibration

3. Extended brake lines?
my Rubicon Express lift kit came with transfer case drop hardware & hardware to extend the front brake lines and sway bar disconnects
Its totally your choice but for myself I chose to install all new brake lines front to back (they must have been over twelve years old) and to raise my engine rather than lower the transfer case

if you do make a drastic change in tire size then yes, I'd say you need to regear. My four banger YJ sucks big time on the highway with the stock 4.10 gears

5. Drop pitman arm?
I doubt it. Again even with my lift I didn't require it but I chose to put one in.

nope, I believe the "death wobble" is an issue with TJ's because of their coil springs. I'm still running with my stock steering.

Here's an idea, why don't you get a mild body lift ($100) and new wider 32's. Your ride will look great & you'll still have cash in your pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Liberty Fever,

Thanks. A dealership here had a Jeep Jamboree over the weekend and I think she's getting a bit more excited about the project. However - the first priority will be a new sound system. All the speakers are blown!

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:23 am 
LOST Member

Liberty Fever - I'm really amazed that even with a 4" suspension lift you didn't need an SYE or drop pitman arm. I'd say that certainly isn't the norm. It might be working for you, and that's great, but I'd have to say that 9 times out of 10 you'll need the SYE and drop pitman arm when running a 4" suspension lift on a YJ.

1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy

Post subject: LIFT PURCHASED
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

RE 2.5" on order. 4Wheelers to install when it comes in... Woo Hoo! :D

Looking at 31x10.5's BFG AT/KO's - either on the existing wheels (I kinda like the 90's Retro look - makes we want to crank Alice in Chains) -OR- new 16" black steelies with 265/75's. That way I can use them on the KJ if needbe. I bet I'll have some rubbing on the YJ with the 265's - but not too much . Do ya'll agree?

I debated the 4" for 33's till the end. It's too much dough to do it right for THIS build. Gotta get Nathan Jr some Huggies, so I need to save the $$$ for now. Maybe next time.

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

Add a 1 inch body lift for the extra clearance and you will be fine.

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject: Lifted!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 am 
LOST Junkie

Here it is with the RE 2 1/2" standard lift, and 32" x 11.5" BFG AT/KO's. We're really happy with the look. To the underside of the rocker trim panels it was 17.5" near the front and 19" near the rear tire. Now (until it settles) it's 22.25" near the front and 23.5 near the rear. I'm guessing it'll settle an inch or so in time.

It's a bit slower as expected - but not bad. So on the wish list is new gears. But that's for another day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:39 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

VERY SWEET!!!!!! 8)
boy does that bring back some memories of our YJ....... :D

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

Post subject: Re: YJ lift advice needed - edit: the build begins
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:37 am 
LOST Newbie

@phxtoad I just purchased a YJ islander and put a 2.5inch lift on it. I'm planning on going to a 32/11.50 tire. Are your wheels a 15x8? if so, what is the offset. I'm new to this game.

advice from anyone... Also, I am contemplating on doing a 1inch shackle lift and going to a 16x8 offset -11mm wheel with a 285/75R16 tire (32.8x11.2). just a thought.