It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attention Rubicon owners and others with an opinion...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey guys, Im in a bit of a situation here. As y'all know the new JK Rubis come out in the fall this year replacin the TJ and all the nice goodies that go along with it. Here is the problem...

I love my KJ dont get me wrong, I have just always wanted a Rubi ever since they were introduced. Dont know why I didn't git one when they first came out but now I have the KJ. I am just wonderin if anyone knows more about the new Rubis and would think they are better than the old. I love the stylin and I6 on the old Rubis, but the new ones have some nice features for offroad and are slightly larger and wider. I am just worried that if I dont move fast by the end of the year when the TJs cease to be produced if I'll miss my chance on a nice TJ Rubi and have to settle for the newer ones. For you Rubi owners, or other Wrangler owners who made the switch, how do you like em? My family has always had CJs and now Wranglers and I was the first to deviate with the KJ.

Also, for those who switched or those who know, what kinda deals ya think the dealer will be able to cut? I still have payments...did y'all sell your KJs back to the dealer or somewhere else? Will they take over payments or switch em over to the new Rubi I hope to get. Any info really helps guys, I need all the advice, support and input I can git my hands on :D Thanks so much for the time 8)

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, if you get the rugular wrangler its not going to have near as much space. I would get the rubicon unlimited for the extra space. The I-6 is an awsome engine! I wanted a rubicon so bad before I got my kj. I wanted the extra space the kj had and if the unlimited would of been out I would be driving one right now. After having my kj, I would never let it go. The ride the ome lift has and looks of it wins over a tj any time of the day. The only thing a tj has over the kj is the sfa, and the lack of computers allowing it to be more reliable off-road.

Edit: If you sale Ill take the BEAUTIFUL FIANCEE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT! :lol:

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:40 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

My biggest concern about the new JK is the engine. I just do not believe that there will ever be much aftermarket support for it. The KJ/Grand/Commander/Ram/Durango/Dakota all use the 3.7L, and there is darn little support for that engine. The 3.8L is an optional engine in the Grand Caravan and LWB Town & Country and (IIRC) the Pacifica. I just don't see adding it to the Wrangler as a smart move or one that will generate enough profits for the aftermarket to support it much.

If I wanted to buy right now, I think I would get the Rubicon Unlitmited and let the bugs get worked out of the JK for a few years. It would not surprise me to see a V8 offered in it, and then you would be like " wow, I should have waited..." The V8 option makes sense to me as the 3.8L would then be the base engine that most modification -minded buyers would not purchase, anyway.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After reading your thread I noted that you seemed torn.. with good reason. I love my rubicon! My husband has a lifted KJ Renegade... and I can honestly say that I still love my Rubi better..(not just cause it's mine!).

It is a bit meaner looking than the Xtreme's or the sports but still sticks to the classic look and feel of a Wrangler. The new KJ has some great new features. I am stressing the new hard top. I love it!!! but alas the engine as mentioned by the others is a concern.. and for the guys to add that the 3.8L is an optional engine to a bunch of mini vans... well that is just cruel.

I know that in the Midwest Jeep dealers are offering Employee Pricing and 0% interest... Plus I think some dealers are adding a $1000 Loyal Customer Bonus ( For those who currently own a Jeep vehicle).

In the end do what you think is best... from your post it sounded like you were kicking yourself for not getting what you wanted from the start... don't do it again. :wink:

Last edited by carmellas on Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Honestly, I would wait for a year or two...possibility of a Wrangler CRD down the road...they have shipped to Europe already. Probably 50/50 that one will be offered stateside in the near future...maybe just wishful thinking. :?

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WELL......I'm not a good one to ask because I just traded my CRD for a Rubicon Unlimited. Just a little bit to think about. 2007 Wrangler will have a bit of unproven technology, one being the 3.8 V6. I sure if it's a version of the 3.7 Liberty engine and if thats the case it will be great. I've seen both the 3.7L and 3.8L listed, so I guess we won't know for sure until it's out. That was the BIG decider for me to go ahead with the 2006. They have pretty much worked out all the bugs and the 4.0L is a great engine. The MPG with the manual are about the same as what I got with my lifted gas liberty with the auto. My CRD blew them both out of the water when it came to MPG but I love my Rubicon now that I had it a few months.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RedJeepCRD wrote:
WELL......I'm not a good one to ask because I just traded my CRD for a Rubicon Unlimited. Just a little bit to think about. 2007 Wrangler will have a bit of unproven technology, one being the 3.8 V6. I sure if it's a version of the 3.7 Liberty engine and if thats the case it will be great. I've seen both the 3.7L and 3.8L listed, so I guess we won't know for sure until it's out. That was the BIG decider for me to go ahead with the 2006. They have pretty much worked out all the bugs and the 4.0L is a great engine. The MPG with the manual are about the same as what I got with my lifted gas liberty with the auto. My CRD blew them both out of the water when it came to MPG but I love my Rubicon now that I had it a few months.

Wes

I do not believe the 3.8 is anything like the 3.7. Ive heard it has push rods, the 3.7 has a OHC.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HUMMMM I would hold off then, find out how the motor does.

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys...anything else? Anyone else traded in their KJs for Rubis? What did ya get from the dealer? Thanks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:

Nice try Jeepjeepster, nice try :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got $21000 for my 2005 CRD but I was screaming about having to have a new transmission and the second EGR valve in less that 20000 miles. I think they gave me that to get me to leave :lol:

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kj in a tight spot wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:

Nice try Jeepjeepster, nice try :wink:

:lol:

Cant say I didnt try. :wink:

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 pm 
LOST Member

I have both an 05 LJ Rubicon and a 03 KJ.
Both are about the best in their respective catagories.
I got the LJ to replace a 99 XJ
I cant wait to see the new JK unlimited rubicon! The 3.8L is a proven engine in the minivans and after renting a few I was amazed at the power and torque that it has.
In my days behind the wheel, I have owned quite a few jeeps. (48 CJ2,72cj V8,72 commando v8,87 YJ,90YJ,97 TJ)
I can honestly say that each new incarnation has been a great improvement over the last. I bet the JK will not let us down.

Like all other new models, after the first year, the aftermarket will go to town on kicka$$ mods for the new engine and platform in general.

My advice would be to keep the KJ for another year or two and then step up to the JKL. Thats what I'm going to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the advice and info guys but I decided to go with the 06 Rubi. Thanks again and I am so excited!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I agree with u Drednot...I'm hanging onto my Rene until next Summer and then it's JK Rubi time. Not sure if I will go with the two door or the four door unlimited. Silver, new three piece hardtop, etc...that much I know. Either way, 06 Rubi or 07 Rubi will be just what you expect from a Jeep!

Previously owned:
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Silver)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Gunmetal)