It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: roof top carrier on a vista roof
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi,

Just bought a 2017 Flex Limited with a Vista roof. I have a Thule roof top carrier and would like to use it on my Flex (I used it on my 2007 Ford Escape for years). I think I would like to add the OEM Top side rails and then use Thule Cross bars.

However, in researching this I see several references on the Ford website to certain Thule bar sets that are not compatible with a "Vista Roof". The Side rails don't have any such notice and there is a Thule Bar set for the OEM side rails.

My questions are:
1.) Are the sets with this notice not going to fit physically (e.g. interference with roof line etc.)?
2.) Is there a question about the roof strength?
3.) Would the OEM Top side rails avoid these issues? (spreads the load etc.)

Since none of these options are cheap, I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Oliver

Post subject: Re: roof top carrier on a vista roof
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am 
LOST Addict

I think you probably meant to post this on a Ford forum.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: roof top carrier on a vista roof
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

things you need to consider before you buy a roof top...

First, if your car doesn’t have a factory-installed rack that works with the carrier you want (or it doesn’t have one at all), you’ll need to purchase one. Either way, it’s important to check your owner’s manual or the vehicle’s manufacturing website to determine the weight capacity of your car’s roof.

Next, consider the physical dimensions of the box, bag, or basket relative to the roof. Will it fit without hanging over the front or back? Is it long enough to accommodate what you want to use it for—like, say, a couple of pairs of skis? If you have a hatch, will it open unencumbered or will the carrier get in the way? How much height will it add to your vehicle? This is especially important for anyone who wants to pull into a garage without having to remove the box each time. Before purchasing, check the manufacturer’s website for information like load restrictions, dimensions, and even images for how the model looks on different styles of cars.

Also, look at the carrier’s shape. If you plan on making it a semi-permanent addition to your vehicle or you spend most of your time on highways, consider something that’s more aerodynamic and less boxy. You’ll likely pay a little more up front, but what you spend on the streamlined carrier, you’ll save in gas.