It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SJ Grand Wagoneer questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:43 am 
LOST Member

I've found an '89 SJ up for sale that looks good (and within my price range) near my house. But I don't know much about them. I've tried searching on the 'net for information about any common issues with these Jeeps and all I find is dedication websites to the Grand Wagoneer. I even found a place in Texas that restores them and sells them for a pretty penny.

Is anyone here familiar with these? Any previous owners that are LOST?

I see that there is no traditional transfer case lever - there is just a slider thing under the dash to activate the 4WD...does this mean it is a full time system? Selec-Trac maybe?

The Jeep does have Dana 44 axles front and rear. Engine is a Chevy 350 (bored .060 over) with brand new exhaust and brakes. Transmission is a 700R4. There is some rust inside the fender wells but the frame is clean and rust free.

I don't have much money right now (trying to pay off student loans) but after moving to Vermont I NEED to have 4WD again. This would be my daily driver for the time being but I would eventually like to tear out the 350 and replace it with a Cummings diesel out of a Dodge truck and feed it bio diesel. But again, that would be a few years away.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks guys (and girls)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

go to www.ifsja.com lots of good info there. I don't have a FSJ right now but I want one BAD! I keep trying to talk the ol' lady into one but she is,,,shall we say,,resistant :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:29 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Yeah, WWW.IFSJA.ORG is the best site for FSJ's.

The x-fer SHOULD be a fulltime, probably a NP229. The little flag changes from hi to low range. However, with a swapped in motor and tranny who knows what x-fer it has? It is probably a GM as everything else is Chebby. Much easier to use the x-fer that came with the rest of the drivetrain than adapt the jeep x-fer.

Unless they have been changed, the gear ratios may be a 2.71 or so. Honestly.

Too bad they didn't leave the AMC 360/727 combo in place.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:34 am 
LOST Member

The owner said that the 360 died on him and he had the small block already on hand. As for the tranny, its not a bad choice - a lot of drag racers use the 700R4 due to its strength.

I will check out that other site though. Thanks for the help.