It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel (Work In Progress)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Coolant By-Pass Filter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dieselsite Coolant By-Pass Filter

Pictured is the Baldwin Filter B5134 rated at 45um absolute, and 20um at 50%

I will be changing to the Donaldson ECF4085 Coolant Filter which is rated at 14um absolute

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Fuel Filtration
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fuel Filtration

TRC Billet One-Piece Head High Flow 2 Micron Fuel Filter/Water Separator

I'm now running the Donaldson P551313 (2um absolute) fuel filter and Baldwin BF1212 fuel/water separator which is rated at 20 micron absolute and 95% emulsified water removal. In the stock location, I'm running the Baldwin 5 micron PF7977 fuel/water separator

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Dieselsite Transmission Filter Kit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dieselsite Transmission Filter Kit

Baldwin Filter BT839
~22um at 50% and 35um at 95%

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Amsoil By-Pass Filter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Amsoil 2 Micron oil by-pass filter

The BP110 filter is: 10.44" long. :shock:

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Cold Air Intake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cold Air Intake

Cool Hose

PSM Air Intake into the OE box

Turbo Air Guide

"The drawing above illustrates turbulent, rotating air entering the compressor wheel of the turbo charger. The wheel is rotating the same direction as the arrows indicate so the blades of the wheel are trying to pull in and accelerate air which is traveling in the same direction as the wheel."

"The picture above illustrates air straightened by the TAG entering the compressor wheel. This allowsmore air to enter the blades of the compressor wheel in a smooth fashion greatly reducing drag and noise on the compressor wheel."

"This flow chart shows an increase of 9% using a TAG-III in a Dodge Cummins. The increased air flow provides up to a 45% reduction in visible smoke, quicker turbo spool up, increased pulling power for towing, lower exhaust gas temperatures and can increase fuel mileage. These results will vary depending on the modification level of the truck, driving habits, load and environmental factors."

According to Amsoil, their OE replacement starved the engine of air, hence why they discontinued it. They now recommend the WIX. You can see the difference between the discontinued Amsoil vs the WIX.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel (Work In Progress)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I added the Mopar tailgate spoiler. These came factory on the gasoline trucks and engineered to increase fuel economy.

Mopar Part #: 82209867

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Part # F104N

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

EBC Green Supreme Brake Pads
(Front Brake Pad Set)
AutoAnything SKU: 2351532
Part #: DP71650

EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads
(Rear Brake Pad Set)
AutoAnything SKU: 2351231
Part #: DP61267

TOYO Open Country HT (265/70R17) LOAD E

The Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty is engineered for high torque diesel pickup trucks that tow trailers or occasionally haul heavy loads. Three-belt construction, multi-wave sipes, and other enhancements deliver a long, dependable wear, increased tread mileage*, exceptional ride comfort, and balanced all-season performance. The Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty is also M&S rated.

Features:

Deep Tread Depth - Tread depth up to 17/32nds, Increases tread life for longer wear.
Tuff Duty 3-Belt Construction - Reinforces and stabilizes internal tire construction for increased tread life.
Less Tread Void - More rubber equals larger, more evenly distributed contact with the road for longer tread life.
Tuff Duty logo on sidewall - Unique mark distinguishes Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty technology from standard Open Country H/T tires.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now that we are looking to get a new travel trailer, I'm thinking about adding this to the truck.

Here's what we tow:

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Saving this space for more pics and write ups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:55 am 
LOST Newbie

nice build but i got to ask why the turbo air guide? im big into turbo gas cars and that just looks like a huge restriction. theres no need to straighten the air or to help it at all. if there is a bad lip on the turbo intake you should just pull the compressor housing and port that lip so there isnt any harsh edges fr air to hit. that air guide just looks like snake oil and will hurt your performance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Twack wrote:
nice build but i got to ask why the turbo air guide? im big into turbo gas cars and that just looks like a huge restriction. theres no need to straighten the air or to help it at all. if there is a bad lip on the turbo intake you should just pull the compressor housing and port that lip so there isnt any harsh edges fr air to hit. that air guide just looks like snake oil and will hurt your performance

http://www.nwtruckworks.com/tag_technology.php

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cool thread! Thanks for sharing on how to build your Dodge Ram!! Nice work!! and cool truck too. As well as your Ram parts, looks reliable and in good condition. How much did you cost for those parts?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The stock truck is sufficient for pulling our lightweight camper, but I would like to make it more efficient. Out of the factory, the Cummins will crank out 325 horsepower and 610 lb-ft of torque at a low 1,600 rpm. The longer stroke of the 5.9L inline 6 produces plenty of torque to tow up mountains with ease. However, the engine generates a little too much heat for my liking, especially when towing up those steep long grades. I’ve already added a cold air intake; I just need to get more air into the motor. So to help reduce heat, I ordered the GDP Air-Boss plenum. The Air-Boss has an elevated design and offers the best air flow possible to the back three cylinders (cylinder #4, #5, and #6). The hottest part of the engine is always in cylinders #5 and #6, hence where head gasket failures can occur. The Air-Boss (which is aluminum) opens up air flow to the rear cylinder by 30%. The end result is lowered EGT’s, better mid range power and increased fuel efficiency.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:45 am 
LOST Newbie

lucky you have a 06, it is efi live re4ady........ take the plunge and get into the power. upgrade trans first, then add power. you have no idea how much fun these trucks are with 800 rwhp stored under your right foot at all times. A few upgrades and you can be there too.

plans for straight pipe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mikmaze wrote:
lucky you have a 06, it is efi live re4ady........ take the plunge and get into the power. upgrade trans first, then add power. you have no idea how much fun these trucks are with 800 rwhp stored under your right foot at all times. A few upgrades and you can be there too.

Yeah, I would consider EFI. It’s the best way to get a true custom tune and have a variety to choose from. I thought about going with twin turbos, but I’ll probably stick with a single and upgrade the injectors. Besides the GDP Power-Flo, my next upgrade will be a steed speed exhaust manifold and then a cam.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I’m replacing the OE air intake manifold with the CDP Power-Flo intake manifold. There are two benefits: (1) I want to be able to monitor boost and (2) I want to increase air flow into the GDP air boss plenum. The GDP Power-Flo is a one piece mandrel bent tube that is internally powder coated to reduce air resistance. Unlike the OE intake, the GDP is designed to maintain air density and velocity to eliminate air speed reductions. The GDP manifold also has a boss with two 1/4" npt ports and two 1/8" npt ports. In all honesty, I just want 1 port for a boost gauge. I’m not interested in water/meth or nitrous oxide.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I added the GDP Big Line Kit for two reasons. (1) I want to be able to monitor fuel pressure and (2) I wanted to increase fuel delivery to the injection pump. The 3/8” hose replaces the 1/4” OE hard line that goes from the fuel filter housing to the injection pump. Just by replacing this line, there is a 2-3 psi gain at the injection pump inlet. The kit also replaces the restrictive banjos with custom stainless adapters and includes a billet aluminum "T" for adding a fuel pressure sender.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

105,345 miles, 06/05/14, Harmonic Balancer (Fluidampr)

Rubber VS Silicone Fluid
“Critical harmonic vibrations occur numerous times in a engine’s operating range. Stock rubber and elastomer-type dampers are frequency sensitive “tuned absorbers”, and work at only one critical frequency. In the case of a stock rubber damper, it is tuned for a factory engine’s critical harmonic vibrations. If you change the mass of pistons, rods, or the crankshaft, you change the natural frequency of the crankshaft assembly; therefore, the stock damper is no longer tuned to the new frequency of vibration, and you may be headed for early failure of expensive engine components. Dampers also create heat while they work, and rubber is a poor dissipator of heat. This heat and the exposure to the elements deteriorates rubber, causing it to crack and change durometer, which then leads to inertia ring slippage, damper failure, uncontrolled torsional vibration, and costly engine parts breakage.”

“Crankshaft Deflection - The Invisible Enemy Each time the air/fuel mixture inside a cylinder is ignited, the combustion that results creates a torque spike - an extremely rapid rise in cylinder pressure. This pressure, applied to the top of the piston, becomes the force that is applied to the crankshaft through the connecting rod. Each torque spike is like a hammer blow. In fact, it hits with sufficient intensity that it not only causes the crankshaft to turn, it actually deflects or twists it. This twisting action and the resulting rebound (as the crank arm snaps back in the opposite direction) is known as torsional harmonic vibration. If not adequately controlled, torsional vibration causes rapid main bearing and main journal wear and possible crankshaft breakage.

“First, although harmonics occur over a broad range of engine speeds, rubber and elastomer-type dampers are frequency sensitive - they are tuned only to control harmonic vibrations that occur within a narrow band of rpm. However, there is more than one area within the operating range of a performance engine that critical harmonic vibrations occur, therefore, elastomer dampers may not be effective. The resulting lack of vibration control could prove to be very destructive. Rubber is also a poor dissipator of heat, and dampers by their nature create heat as they work to reduce vibration. As the rubber gets hotter, it does not work as well. Second, rubber breaks down when exposed to the elements. Over time, the rubber strip can crack and begin to deteriorate due to age and exposure. This can lead to inertia ring slippage, damper failure, and uncontrolled torsional vibration, which leads to costly parts breakage.”

"Fortunately, harmonic vibration can be controlled by a vibration damper - which is also called a harmonic damper or erroneously a "harmonic balancer". The main purpose of a "harmonic damper" is to control harmonic vibration, not necessarily to balance the engine's rotating assembly.”

“Fluidampr® Performance Diesel dampers offer the best protection against torsional vibrations. Performance tuned or stock, your diesel engine will run more efficiently with a viscous Fluidampr® installed.”

“Fluidampr® has tested on both stock and performance tuned diesel pick-ups. Dyno tests have shown consistent increases in horsepower and torque. Typical HP gains of 6-8 and torque gains of 15-30 pounds feet.”

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nice ride. Jealous over here!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2