It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP!! Patriot- Broken Transmission Fill Tube
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot and have had no problems at all. It's got 77K miles and I regularly do all the preventative maintenance. Last week, on the freeway, I started to hear a strange sound(almost like an electrical squeal). Then, the Temperature light came on, but the Temperature Gauge was not indicating any overheating. The sound was coming from a mechanical part, not electric. It got louder as I accelerated. Then, the Jeep started to loose power slowly. Got off the freeway and it lost all power and wouldn't move anywhere. I shut it off, waited a few minutes while calling AAA. I started it again without any problems at all, as if nothing ever happened. The Temperature Light was off too. I didn't want to risk anything getting worse so I just drove myself to a safe area(it drove normally) and shut it off. AAA took me to a local mechanic and they said my Transmission Dipstick Tube broke and all the transmission fluid leaked out causing the car to automatically shut itself off. Later, they said they found metal debris in the transmission oil. They are now recommending a total replacement of the transmission which will cost me at least 3-Grand! The Jeep has been with the mechanic since and I don't have that kind of cash right now. Any opinions of what to do or if you know the mechanics may not be completely correct, I'd appreciate the knowledge. Also, could this be a manufacturer's defect? I see this happening to other Jeeps quite often. It's just strange. Any help is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: HELP!! Patriot- Broken Transmission Fill Tube
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

Probably more help for you on another forum but I call BS for them saying the transmission dipstick tube was broken. If you have the CVT transmission you don't have a transmission dipstick. The CVT is sealed up and no one fixes them only replace them...

If you have a CVT Patriot take it to a different mechanic. More than likely you went into limp mode. Not sure the cause but that sounds like the issue.