It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: M116A3 off-road camper build
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I am testing it out as I write this. Doing some overnight camping in the driveway!

So far it's even better than I hoped. Nice and toasty warm and an even heat throughout the trailer. I have the windows cracked open 3/4 inch or so at the bottom, but the ceiling vent is closed. I put up black out curtains over the windows and that helps with insulation as well. Outdoors it will be going down to 31°F tonight. Not so inside. I think it must be about 65° inside the trailer and the thermostat isn't even set very high.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:09 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
I am testing it out as I write this. Doing some overnight camping in the driveway!

So far it's even better than I hoped. Nice and toasty warm and an even heat throughout the trailer. I have the windows cracked open 3/4 inch or so at the bottom, but the ceiling vent is closed. I put up black out curtains over the windows and that helps with insulation as well. Outdoors it will be going down to 31°F tonight. Not so inside. I think it must be about 65° inside the trailer and the thermostat isn't even set very high.

Lauren, I know you installed heaters already but check out this device!

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:00 am 
LOST Addict

That's a pretty sweet heater! If I had converted a large toy hauler trailer into a camper instead of my military 6x8, this would be perfect. :-) Its got a lot of heat output for a small unit and because it's not electric, it would be better for boondocking. There's always the next build!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am 
LOST Addict

I camped in the trailer last night, again to test it to make sure everything works before my 4 day trip at the end of the month. Last night was a good night for a field test because some weather blew in around midnight. First we had rain, which turned to sleet as the temperature dropped, and then later became snow. By the morning there were 3-4 inches of snow on top of the trailer!

In terms of outcomes:
1. I was nice and toasty warm all night. The new heater plus the curtains were a great combination.
2. The wall and ceiling insulation work well. The snow accumulated on top instead of melting off and forming icicles. It's about 65-70 degrees inside the trailer as I took this photo.
3. With the windows open about 1" on both sides, I didn't need to have the roof vent open all night long for fresh air. Opening it even a little sucks the heat out of the trailer quickly (and refreshes the air as new cold air is drawn in from the windows). I did that once in the night, but not sure I really had to.
4. Condensation on the ceiling and walls was not an issue, probably because of the insulation and having the windows open a bit for ventilation. The only place with minor condensation was on the front windows, right above where I was breathing humid air on them all night.
5. I need a bathroom solution for the trailer for nights like this! Here's what I ordered (the basic model): http://www.piddlepail.com Laugh if you must! But leaving the warm trailer in the middle of the night in a snowstorm is not my first choice! Lol.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Starting to look a little more like home.

Towel rack.

It folds out when needing to hang up towels. Actually it can hold towels above the heater so they can get nice and warm.

Clothes hooks for both sides.

They can fold out or lay flat against the wall.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:13 am 
LOST Addict

Got some Rock Tamers to protect the front of my trailer from stones and other debris that my lifted Jeep kicks up on the highway.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:49 pm 
LOST Addict

After a long pause in working on the trailer, I found some time to work on it today. I've not been able to finish the interior walls and ceiling because I didn't have all the wiring in place, specifically the wiring for the solar panel. Today I started to do something about that by installing the cable glands / wiring pass thru in the roof. I have been putting this off for quite a while because frankly drilling holes in my perfectly watertight roof made me nervous. But today I got up the courage to proceed, and tonight I have a watertight seal where the pass through attaches.

This is the pass thru with cable glands that I'm referencing above.

And the underside...

I used two layers of butyl tape to fill up the bottom grooves on the plastic housing and seemed to compress well against the roof.

In the process I also installed and ran my solar panel wiring through pre-drilled holes in the ceiling spars and front wall beams. Down in the compartment by the solar charge controller I wired a 35A switch into the + wire so that I will be able to turn off the solar panel's electrical current to the battery system if I need to.

The panel feet are next in line to install, and they will require more holes! But I think I have regained my confidence and it shouldn't be too much of an issue. :D

I am planning to use butyl tape under this as well, just like the edge moldings on my trailer. It seems to work well. I have 6 bolts with T-nuts in interior beams to hold this on (3 per side). If that's not enough I can always sink some screws into the beams as well.

For those of you who may be wondering why I am mounting my solar panel on the roof instead of making it portable and movable, here is why:

Non mounted Pros: Can move it periodically and so get maximum sun exposure throughout the day, and maximum charging. Cons: Takes up interior space when not deployed. Not bolted down so it could potentially "walk". Would worry it could be stolen, so would have to put it away if I am gone from camp during the day, so I wouldn't be charging the batteries.

Roof mounted Pros: Once bolted on, is pretty low maintenance. In order to increase sun exposure my mounting system can be manually tilted forward or back. If the trailer is parked in a north-south orientation, this can increase charging efficiency. More trouble to try and steal it because it is 7 feet in the air. I can be away from the trailer during the day and I don't have to put it away. Cons: not much charging possible if parked under trees. More wind resistance on the highway (although it is already like a brick towing a brick).

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

The solar panel was sitting on the roof today and cranking out free electricity: The panel sent low amps but at 40+ volts. The MPPT controller converted that into 7+ amps of charge at 14.5 volts (which slowed down to 1.2 amps at 13.5 volts as the battery bank reached full capacity). It's a good system. The battery was sitting at 12.9 volts after dark.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

NOTE 9/17: Because Photobucket blocked forum access to pics, none of the pics in here work anymore. I've fixed the broken links in my Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers (tnttt.com) build thread, which is 90% the same as here. Please visit that build thread for pics of my trailer. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581 Thanks!! :CAMPING:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
NOTE 9/17: Because Photobucket blocked forum access to pics, none of the pics in here work anymore. I've fixed the broken links in my Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers (tnttt.com) build thread, which is 90% the same as here. Please visit that build thread for pics of my trailer. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581 Thanks!! :CAMPING:

Any updates ?
Still following............

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi Tom! A couple of updates. The solar panel mounts are permanently attached now, so the trailer tends and charges its own batteries. I don’t have to remember to plug in the charger anymore, which is handy.

I have a few inexpensive maintenance items on my list, like installing aluminum visors over the side windows and weatherproofing all the exterior screw holes. After that, I can keep working on the interior as time and weather allow.

The big roadblock is that the wheel bearings are almost shot and I need new ones prior to passing inspection in PA. They also want the brakes working before passing inspection, which is another expense. Bearings and brake parts are going to set me back $500, which I don’t have at the moment. So, the trailer sits for now. I totally agree with the inspection shop that these things are needed for safety so I’m not complaining about them.. Wish I had the $$$ to make some forward progress! The fall weather is beautiful for camping and I’m missing it!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Spring is finally here in Philadelphia and summer break will soon be here for those of us who are educators! That’s not to say there is no work to do, but I do have a lot more flexibility when classes are not in session. And so I have been thinking about resuming work on my trailer that has been in hibernation all winter.

Just brainstorming here, but here is a list of some of the tasks ahead (generally in order of how I will do them):

To get it road-worthy:
Refurbish surge brakes (using the parts I bought in January)
Wheel bearings (have parts)
Install ID light bar on top rear of trailer
PA inspection

Exterior work that requires Sika-Flex:
Remove wood screws, squirt in fresh sealant, reinstall
Install drip caps over side windows
Install door catch for rear door
Replace rear door weatherstripping
Install rain diverter on roof over rear door
Install vinyl strip inserts on corner/edge moldings

Interior work:
Cut interlocking gym mats to shape for the floor (2 layers)
Install the rest of the cedar planking on walls
Install birch plywood ceiling panels
Repair cracked wooden trim ring for front window
Finish interior of side storage cabinets, including floor insulation

Someday:
Cut out aluminum for side cargo doors, assemble doors, install doors
New tires (Goodyear Duratracs to match the Jeep)
Electrical improvements: replace 3 deep cycle batteries with 2 sealed gel batteries, move inverter to tongue box to be closer to batteries (reducing current loss); install master DC kill switch

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Bearings, Brakes, and PA inspection appointment scheduled for Thursday. Fingers crossed!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:

Someday:
Cut out aluminum for side cargo doors, assemble doors, install doors
New tires (Goodyear Duratracs to match the Jeep)
Electrical improvements: replace 3 deep cycle batteries with 2 sealed gel batteries, move inverter to tongue box to be closer to batteries (reducing current loss); install master DC kill switch

Lauren, check out this very helpful link!!

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

I have already bought a battery with this aid and has proven it is reliable!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the link! I have a 240 AH setup now (3, group 24, deep cycle batteries) which seems to be overkill. :shock: I built that to last a week of boondocking between recharges, but now that I have a solar panel, that stretches it out a lot. If I were to go down to 2 batteries, I could put the inverter in the tongue box with them (it's vented, so it should be ok), which eliminates about 6' of 2 AWG cable and about 3-10% voltage drop. Image

I haven't gone back through this thread to fix all the broken links to photos, but I did that on my tnttt.com build thread. Here's the link: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581. I think I'll keep both threads updated going forward, but if you need to look up any old photos from my build, go there.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:08 pm 
LOST Addict

A quick update:

The brakes an bearings are all done, and hopefully I’ll get the trailer back soon from the shop. The delay is that a wheel stud and lug nut broke, and because this is a military trailer, you can’t get those any old place. I’m working with Eastern Surplus (https://www.easternsurplus.net) to find those parts.

The NSN’s (National Stock Numbers) from the M101/116 technical manual are here for future reference. These are for the M116A3 with 8-lug hubs.

Shoulder Bolt (wheel stud)
5306-01-237-6844

Lug Nut
5310-01-149-0868

While I only need 1 bolt & 1 nut at this time, I’d like to get some spares in case I break any more in the future.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I got my trailer back today. It rides amazingly well with rebuilt brakes and new bearings.

New master cylinder and other parts.

The master cylinder exterior rusted after only a couple of days in the elements. Needs some paint!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Perfect time for Ospho or something like it.

That is such a cool creation!.
But, am I the only one that thinks it's just 2 legs and 2 blaster cannons from being a control cab of a Star Wars Imperial Walker AT-ST? :lol:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks GornadoCRD! I can see the resemblance and your post made me LOL out loud. :-)r

I paid the trailer a visit today and got organized for resuming construction over the next week and a half. I have a family camping trip deadline near the end of the month to keep me motivated!

The trailer had wintered well and the batteries remained near a full charge. Not too much light for solar now because of this black gum tree hanging out over the trailer. Oh well, he needs the photons more than I do.

We’ve had some severe rains over the last month here in the mid Atlantic, and my trailer has weathered the storms outdoors because I don’t have a garage. I was inspecting it last week and noticed that the seals around my rear door had leaked. I didn’t see any standing water at the time I looked, but I noticed new water stains on the cedar paneling at the bottom inside of the door. Additionally, the bottom of the door was sticking against the frame when opening and closing it, indicating that it absorbed water and the wood expanded slightly. I put a dehumidifier (the water absorbent bead kind) in the trailer last week to remove some of the humidity and hopefully begin the shrink the door back to its original non-sticking width.

Today I carefully went around the door looking for leaks. I suspected a gap at the top of the door, but there wasn’t one, and accordingly there was no staining of the wood up there.

A small gap on the upper side didn’t seem so bad.

The culprit was a wider gap in the Sikaflex caulk on the bottom edge of the door. I think during rainstorms water may bead up here and then get sucked in by capillary action. Still, this problem is very fixable and the door has shrunk back since I put the dehumidifier inside. It wasn’t sticking much today.

Here’s what the interior currently looks like. We can use this before photo as a comparison later on.

The temperature was hot and the humidity was around 45% today.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:37 pm 
LOST Addict

It's been a while since I've posted here but I've done a lot inside the trailer to finish the interior since the last time I posted.

From this:

To this:

So now we went winter camping! We went to Ole Bull State Park, which is one of only 4 state parks open for camping (with electricity) in PA at this time of year. It was wonderful! There were only a few other people around and mostly we had it all to ourselves. It's up in the north woods west and north of Williamsport. The weather up on the Allegheny Front was cold and clear, under 10 degrees F at night and probably around 32 during the day. The camper's electric heater kept us toasty warm without the need for electric blankets. Here are some photos from the trip.

Cozy warm inside.

Driving around on Saturday produced some gorgeous views.

This whole area was logged using narrow gauge railroads about 100 years ago. The railroad grades still exist.

We drove about 8 miles of forest roads and took in the scenery. Here the road was unplowed but frozen and snowed over.

Thick woods in the area were called the black forest.

After emerging on the other side of the woods, we found this roadside pavilion made by the CCC in the 1930's.

Someone had left a fire burning, and the warmth was a welcome treat.

We love the area and hope to go back soon! :JEEPIN: :CAMPING:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next