It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need advice on my first gps for caching
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hey everyone... i'm looking to get into the sport, but with so many options, i'm not sure which is best for me. first things first: i'm not looking to spend a fortune just yet. that being said, i'd like something i can also use for topo maps while hiking and automatic routing while driving(i could live without this, it would just save me money in the long run). usb would obviously make uploading much easier, but i'm flexible on that too. any ideas/suggestions? thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Many cachers have the Garmin 60CS(x) family. Jacket pocket sized, helix antenna, cable to download gpx files, 1000 waypoints, enough memory for map quads, autorouting. I have the Garmin Legend C(x). Shirt pocket sized, patch antenna, cable to download gpx files, 500 waypoints, enough memory for a few map quads, autorouting. You'll probably want one with a cable port to download gpx files, and you'll probably find at least 8 Mb necessary for maps; mine has 22 Mb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:43 am 
Master of the Blender

Yeah, the Cx series are nice, and if you can swing the funds the Map60's are probably the way to go. I run a GPS V but when my buddy visited me back at the end of March and we did some caching I was very impressed with his Map60, not the least because with the USB port downloads are sooooo much faster - what would take a minute on mine with the serial cable was about five seconds on his with USB. And the fact that you could have different memory cards loaded with various areas or map types would be a plus - city maps on one for caching, topos on another for wheeling or hiking 8)

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

I have a Garmin 60CSx and love it. I have the topo maps and Street Navigator and it does everything. Great for caching, navigation, etc. USB 2.0. I put a 1 GB card in it and can load most of the US (topo and street) into it. But then again, you are talking $350 for the unit, $75 for the topo maps, $100 for the street maps and suddenly, you are spending over $500.

245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thanks for the input guys... i'm still doing some homework on them. i've actually been looking at the 60csx, but like you said, it's a little out of my budget. (i was originally looking in the $150 to $300 range.) however, if it's durable enough and really is the all-around answer, i just may have to give it a shot. thanks again for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Look into the Garmin GPSMAP 76S. It's doesn't have a fancy color screen, but you really don't need that anyway. It does however do everything that one with a color screen can do. It has a built-in compass and barometer as well. It floats and is 100% waterPROOF, as opposed to resistant. Nowadays you can pick one up for around $150 I believe, and it has enough built in memory to last a looong time. No need to screw around with extra memory and risk introducing moisture or water into the unit through the card slots. It has a built in light so you can use it in the dead of night, but you can turn it off as well so your aren't using a lot of battery power. Check it out! I think you'll like it.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SavageUrge wrote:
Look into the Garmin GPSMAP 76S. It's doesn't have a fancy color screen, but you really don't need that anyway. It does however do everything that one with a color screen can do. It has a built-in compass and barometer as well. It floats and is 100% waterPROOF, as opposed to resistant. Nowadays you can pick one up for around $150 I believe, and it has enough built in memory to last a looong time. No need to screw around with extra memory and risk introducing moisture or water into the unit through the card slots. It has a built in light so you can use it in the dead of night, but you can turn it off as well so your aren't using a lot of battery power. Check it out! I think you'll like it.

awesome, thanks!

Post subject: sport eh?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:58 am 
LOST Member

did you really call it a sport? BAHAHAHAHA

custom Hella 500 cowl mounted offroad lights.
full tints
Ipod wired up
Possbily the first OIIIO Jeep license plater.
"Full" belly protection....who needs a gas tank skid anyways
Just need a bumper...
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x180 ... eRenegade/