It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just ordered Garmin eTrex Vista HCx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

well i can't wait my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx should be here by thursday of next week. Any tips for a newbie using a handheld GPS for the first time? I understand you have to get a program to get it to do turn by turn directions but that shouldnt be a problem.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

we have the national geographic US mapping program, $125 from REI. we have a garmin 60CS. always keep extra batteries with you. put a piece of clean packing tape over the screen as a screen protector (or you can buy the fancy kind if you want).

good luck!

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:15 pm 
LOST Member

I've been using my Vista for several years. They're pre-loaded with bunches of USA and Canada locations.

Lemmie know if you need some help with it. I use mine mostly for hunting and we have also used it in the Wrangler several times on and off road.

You can get a 12V plug in cord for your vista. Batteries: I use Duracells. I also carry 3 extras.

I have the Garmin TOPO Map Source software cd's. I paid $99.00 bucks for them. I wouldn't recommend this software. Unless I just don't 'get' their software, it is a waste of $$$. The TOPO maps are poor for TOPO, actually, they're not. They're more like freak'n Streets 98.

Landy