It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who?? / What??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Who here does Geocaching / Benchmarking? What equipment do you use? I'd like to see this section get a bit more active...Anyone have any ideas on how to give this section a little jumpstart?

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:36 pm 
LOST Member

no ideas on how to jump start it.

i have searched out a couple caches that were near trails i was wheeling. prob in this area is that people dont abide by the rules so when you find a cache, it is usually empty. some have been removed altogether

i use a garmin legend in the jeep so before i go out i just mark the cache and hike to it when i get close

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:35 am 
LOST Member

we have a garmin 60 cs. for the LOST west big bear trip we got there a day early so we could cache around the lake, and we got our first FTF there.

i recommend quakemap which gives ariel photos and plots geocaches and links to geocaching.com

we're going to vegas this weekend and have two bugs that wanted to go there and we've found some cool caches to get too.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you find a cache do you take it? or leave for someone else. this sounds like alot of fun. do need a mapping gps or can u use any old gps?

Flame Red
cb, full armor
"If you're not living on the edge...You're taking up to much space!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyN8 wrote:
When you find a cache do you take it? or leave for someone else. this sounds like alot of fun. do need a mapping gps or can u use any old gps?

Usually in a cache there is a logbook (sign your name, etc) and usually some trinkets, that you can take. If you take something though, you should leave something. If you dont want to take something and leave something, just sign the logbook, and take a picture of it, to document that you were actually there. THen logon to www.geocache.com and you can then set up a profile, and list what caches/benchmarks you have found. You also go there to get the coordinates of those caches and benchmarks.

you can use a normal gps. You just need a way to plot the coordinates for the caches, preferably a serial or USB cable.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:36 pm 
Master of the Blender

The URL for the site is www.geocaching.com There are also 'virtual' caches where you go to a site and maybe answer some questions about something particular at the site - I just posted a find for the 'Trinity Site' virtual (first atomic bomb test ). Then there are 'locationless' caches were you go and take a picture of something particular; I have seen these for band stands, water towers, static aircraft/military displays, etc. Another cool thing about caching is that you may go looking for one in an area you otherwise would never have thought of going.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have been caching for a bit before becoming obsessed by my KJ project. I have a handheld Garmin Legend C etrex and love it.

I havent placed any caches yet- but if any LOST members have placed any on geocaching.com, send along the cache names or coordinates of the caches and I'll add 'em to the GPSr. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've got a couple of caches and virtuals on Geocaching -
Where's In A Name?
Sound View
Anchors Away!
Carver's Delight
Harrison Island
Midnight Train to ??
Cache A Movie Redux
Lights on the Vine
50 State Traveller
Most are in the Lower Westchester, NY area

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bthomas, somewhere in the 6K's. Garmin Legend-C from dashboard to hand. Sometimes I have an old eTrex as an antenna
for a laptop running nRoute.

I'll be in Death Valley this weekend doing a 4WD and hike cache, and will post photos the following week. I imagine photos catch some of the interest of caching locations for other Jeepers. I try to photo opp a WJTB in interesting Jeeping or historical areas. http://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx?ID=189261