It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice for GPS unit for the Libby
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:41 pm 
LOST Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on what to get for a decent gps setup for the Libby. I'm not really sure what to look for. Are there preffered brands, any important features I should look for? Would really appreciate a push in the right direction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It has a little to do with your goals. I had a Dell Axim (Pocket PC) and just bought a receiver, vehicle mount and software for it. My goal was to use what I already had (Axim) and to have something I could use on road, off road, in vehical, on foot or bike riding. Most of the automotive versions are just for in vehical and on road. If you are always in vehical but often off road you will not see much detail on the Tom Tom's and such, only where you are in relation to where the closest main road.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If your looking for maps and the capability to take it with you out of the Libby, try one of the Garmins below:

GPSMAP 60 B/W display, SRP: $ 249.99 USD

GPSMAP60Cx Color display, SRP: $ 428.56 USD

GPSMAP60CSx Color display, High-sensitivity receiver, SRP: $ 482.13 USD

You can buy a mount for your Libby and one for your bike and take it any where you want to go.

If your just wanting to geocache the new Etrex H are easy to use, only around $100 but do not have maps. This is the kind I use. I use a Dell Axim and download maps to the area I'm going to it from Streets and Trips.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

I just got a Garmin StreetPilot i2-R for 134.99 shiped new in the box from Factory Outlet Store

http://garmn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat ... epage.html

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.
Rear Hitch Tow Hook,
750 Watt Inverter,
Cobra 25 WX CB Radio W/ a Cobra HG-M75 Power Mic
Cobra 100 Watt CB Magnet Mount Antenna - HG-A1000
Garmin nuvi 265T

Last edited by TnRebel on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lowrance makes some very cool models that have a very nice screen with all kinds of cool features, user friendly, large screen, great topo software for off road and tons of other stuff. I am using the 480C "color" and is very easy to read in direct sunlight. Has a memory card and can upload from you computer. Hope that helps. Later..Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

I bought a Garmin Vista CX and I love it. It is small with a decent sized screen for its size, super portable, easy to use, off road and on road directions (no voice), long battery life, tons of functions, and is super tough and durable. I originally bought it for hunting (the wife insisted so I wouldn't get lost and die while hunting... who am I to argue) and I mounted it to my quad and it works great. I use it in my car, but I need to buy some street maps for it because all I have is the U.S. off road trails maps, but even so it worked out on the road. Then I got into geocaching and it is perfect for it. There are fancier and more high tech units but bottom line is my garmin performs flawlessly. I bought a mount for it in my KJ and an auxiliary plug for my outlet and I am off and running. I have zero complaints about it. :D

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703 this is the high sensitivity version of mine... even fancier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

We use the garmin 60csx for geocaching and some street routing, but use the garmin NUVI660 for regular navigation. Both can be found for around 300 dollars. You cant go wrong with the 60csx if you just need a good all around unit.

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:01 am 
LOST Addict

good thread going on here about same thing.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... highlight=