It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Geocache ing?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have heard a few of you on here talk about it but what is it exactly?

- Basket
- Debadged
- Lost# 007912

Wish list

- Lift
- 265/75/15

http://4x4country.net/register.php?REF=5037

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 pm 
LOST Addict

It is hunting for gifts, mysterious stuff that's hidden around.
There are websites that link and post the coordinates of geocaches. In those Caches, you will find some junk or something useful. Generally people will take what they need and it is etiquette to leave something behind.

Anyone who has GPS receiver, preferably portable, can put the coordinates of the cache, and go caching!!!! :D

Chris, here is your que.. go! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:54 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

If you scroll down to the tech section, there's a spot for GPSing. Check it out. Great place to get general info as well as info on specific models if it's something you think you'd be into.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:53 pm 
LOST Member

[/url]http://forums.groundspeak.com/gc/[url]

Here's a link to a big geocaching site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

a little on topic here....so those folks who have done this, what is the absolute BEST thing you found in there versus the absolute WORST thing that someone left in there?? :shock:

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The trinkets that are placed in a cache are secondary to finding the cache. Sometimes I don't take anything. I would never put anything that is valuable in a cache because sometimes "muggles" (non gecachers) steal a cache when they stumble on it. I just had one ripped off. But 3 days later it was returned minus the little Jeep Liberty I put in it.

Go to: www.geocaching.com and in the upper right there is a box. Put your zip code in it and you will get a list of all the caches in your area. You will be surprised!

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 pm 
LOST Member

When I first started geocahing about 4 years ago there was a cacher who would tape a $20 bill to the bottom of ammo cans for the first to find reward - now I find alot of kid stuff and micro's that hold no surprise and nothing to trade..

Mopar skids.
5-speed manual.
235 70 17 Firestone destination AT'S on stock rims.
Gen 4.5 a-arms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:43 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

what's everybody using for a GPS unit and why did you choose that one? I am in the market and want to start out right without spending an arma and a leg unless I have to. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been Geocaching for a couple years now. It's a cool way to blow off some steam, walk on some trails, find some cool places you never new existed right in your backyard, etc. Most people hide an ammo can or a piece of tupperware stocked with some basic trinkets and a log book. To me it's not what's found in the boxes but being able to just explore new areas. There are also "puzzle" caches where you have to visit sites and answer questions about the sites you visited (usually info off some historic marker) which you plug into a coordinate puzzle to find the last coordinate of the "big" prize.

I've found some really interesting sites though, usually hidden trailheads that you'd otherwise blow right by. There are also "meet and greets", picnics, that sort of thing.

It's a great thing for families as they can take the kids "hiking" while the kid thinks he's on a trasure hunt. Cool way to get em out from behind the video game console. I've taken a couple of friend's kids out on some really simple caches and now evertime I see them they can't wait to go "Treasure Hunting" again. When they find the cache they get to pick something in it they like as most stuff inside is kid related and then I throw something else in in trade. (Matchbox car, pack of stickers, etc.)

Garmin is also working with Jeep on a Geocaching Adventure where the winner will win a new Jeep. They've done this a couple times already. One of the 4 by magazines has a "Geostash" contest where they post coordinates in the magazine and every month hide a new 4x4 related prize. Most of the time in the Western U.S.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My sons and I loved it when they were younger but they outgrew it pretty quick. It was a cool way to just get out of the house for a couple hours when we didn't have a trip to go on. It was also cool to do while traveling from place to place we could stop and search for a cache to break up the trip and see new places.

Look for So-Cal caches under L.O.S.T.JJsKJ for some of my still active hides.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been Geocaching since Feb '05' and the family loves it. I've always loved hiking but could never get the wife to want to go. Now on her days off she's the one up early wanting to go out. We use the really basic model Garmin Etrex (Yellow) I got them off of Ebay for 50 bucks shipped but you can get new ones for around 100.00. The newer ones have a better chip in them and get better reception in the woods. They are the Etrex H and still only cost around 100.00.

As for what's one of the best things we found. It was a 10.00 Silver piece hidden deep in the woods.

We've cahed from Mid Michigan to N. Carolina Ohio to Idaho and met hundreds of great people along the way. A lot of the Indiana State Parks and State parks around the country are starting to allow caching in the parks which give cachers beautiful places to visit

In August there will be the Midwest Geobash in Kendallville, IN and they expect around 1800 cachers there. Jeep has been involved in caching for the last 4 years giving away GPS systems and a new Jeep each year. The 1st year (04) they put out Yellow Jeep Wrangler TB's, 2nd Year (05) was the White Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TB's, 3rd Year (06) Green Jeep Rescue Concept Vehicle TB's and this year it's a Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander TB. For the Grand Prize, they are giving a 08 Jeep Liberty to one lucky winner.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://jeep.geocaching.com/photos/

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
what is the absolute BEST thing you found

I was going to say a small brass compass, but then I remembered Rockhouse cache. ->link. It's 400 miles from home, in between Palm Sprs and Joshua Tree, and was posted for 2 weeks with a $100 bill inside. I finally made it down there, 4-wheeled up a desert canyon, and hiked up a hill. The $100 was there. On the way down canyon, grabbed a photo of sunset on the KJ hood, and that's my forum avatar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:54 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

simple answer to the OP:

Using billion dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:04 pm 
LOST Member

The best one i have found as of yet was a jar filled with lots of $$$$!!!! it was called "foreign exchange" it had cash and coins from all over the world! i didnt take any of it as it was the kind you just leave something. so i left a few euro's and a $2 bill. It was a way cool find! 8)

BTW- -

one of the best GPS out there (handheld) is the Garmin Vista HCx it has a Geo program built in and the web site http://www.geocaching.com/ will download right to it with just one click.

The Vista HCx it waterproof and has a color screen. the cheepest place i have seen it for sale to date is wal-mart . com aprox $230.00

Magnaflow Muffler (12226)
CAT 2 Fuel Filter
Fumoto Drain Valve
EGR replaced at 50K
in service 8/31/04
Sold 7/21/10 125k miles
----------------------------------------------------------
Paved Roads, another form of unnecessary government spending...