It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:23 am 
LOST Member

I am thinking I will ask my wife for a GPS system for Christmas. Yes, I would not use it all of the time, but I know it will help me when going on trips, rather then trying to fumble through a map to figure out where we are.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how you use your GPS, if you think it is a worthwhile purchase, etc? I have a feeling that if I do get it, I will likely even explore roads in my hometown that I don't know of, and I won't get lost.

Just wanting to know who has GPS and what you think of it. Thanks.

Infinity Sound System/6-Disc CD Changer
Class 4 Trailer Hitch
Husky Front/Rear Liner Mats
Husky Rear Cargo Liner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:43 am 
LOST Member

I have a bunch of GPSs for different purposes (hiking, biking, flying and driving). I have a gamin Nuvi for the car and like it. It's simple to use, has a great database (you can search for stores, gas stations, entertainment, whatever), and has a really accurate receiver. It really is only designed for the car though. So if you want something you can go hiking with, the Nuvi will not pull double duty. But it's the fact that it's so dedicated to driving that makes it work so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a Pocket PC that I never really used the way I planned as it didn't sync with Outlook using Windows XP. Recently I purchased a mobile mount, a road style GPS software and a GPS receiver with memory (I can just haul it around if I wish then play back the route later).

I like it. I like knowing how fast I am really going. I like when I am looking for an address in a city that I am not familiar with being able to easily find it. Even here at home I enjoy seeing how it thinks I should drive versus the way I really do. I will add another software suite to it this year for off road use since I am unaware of any software package that is useful for road and off-road use.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

http://www.tigergps.com/lowrancebaja540c.html

that is what i plan on getting soon. its great off road because you can record trails, it even has some older ones in its database already. plus its really rugged so that gives me some peace of mind when off roading.

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I use a tomtom one.
It doesn't have useless features (mp3/movie players), can be picked up cheap and does what its supposed to do.

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a Magellan, about 4yrs old, and just bought the wife a TomTom One #rd Edition. really like the TomTom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I have a TomTom 510. It works well and wasn't too expensive. I have to drive in areas I'm not familiar with on a regular basis. Pack it in my carry on for flights and then plug it into the rental car.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 am 
LOST Member

read up on the different GPS before getting them. Make sure the maps are current and the type of maps to use. They say that TeleAtlas maps are not as good in United States as Navteq maps. TomTom uses TeleAtlas and Garmin uses Navteq. Also check out this site it has a lot of great info and good buyers guide. http://www.gpsmagazine.com/

I ordered Nuvi 200 myself, bestbuy had a deal for $149, but its olny good for highway driving and not offroad.

OME Lift, 245/75/16 General Grabbers AT2, ProComp Extreme Alloys 7189
Mopar Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Garmin Nuvi 200 and I love it. The only problem I have had with it is in NYC, when I’m on the FDR sometimes it will say I’m driving in the East River. It also will loose satellite reception occasionally when I’m driving between very tall buildings and narrow which is just about ave/st downtown. But since I know the area it’s not an issue for me and that’s the only problem I have had so it’s great for me.

I have used it on trips to Stowe VT, East end of LI, NJ and it even picked up a lot of the sand roads I was on in the Pine Barrens and a couple dirt road mountain passes I found in VT. I have a friend who has a VW and he says my GPS’s recalculation time is much faster than his. That is the #1 reason I bought it, at the time (6-months ago) it had the fastest recalculation time for just about any GPS even close to the price range. And someone else made mention of it, on long trips finding a place to eat or get gas is very easy.

It also has an auto dim feature so it’s not supper bright at night and during the day time it’s bright enough that you can see it with your sunglass on (I read that some units aren’t bright enough to do that.)

Regarding it’s trail ability, if you tap the car on the screen it will give you your GPS and altitude coordinates but it won’t update it as you drive. Also, the altitude can be off be as much as +/- 50’.

'04 Liberty Limited - 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT's, Mopar tow hooks, Draw-Tite Class IV hitch, Skid Row Engine & Transmission Skids, Mopar T-Case & Gas Tank Skids, Extended Breather Tubes, Red Top Optima, Sylvania Silver Star head lights, Hella 500FF bumper mounted driving lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just remember that most of those commented on are great for the highway but of very little value off road. You will need to decide if you wish to own multiple units if you were to choose most of these and also wanted a unit for hiking, boating, sking, geo caching or trail driving. That is one of the reasons I went with multiple softwares to fit my existing Pocket PC, I wanted to have dual duty in a single unit.

So as Wildrussian said, think about what you want and study the options well before the leap.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX is a great one for using in the car, it has maps and you can download more maps from Gramin. It is also a hand held so if you like to hike, hunt or whatever you can take it out of the car too. It has a 64 meg micro SD card for expandable memory. You can also buy the micro SD cards preloaded with different maps if you'd like. It does turn-by-turn directions also.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

go with anything by garmin. Ive got the rino 130 and the thing is indestructiable and there are billions of maps for it

coming soon: Corbeau Moab seats, JBA 6"lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

I have had a Magellan for 4 years now {hand held} and last year went on a side trip in Ga. on my way to Tn. and got lost [ batt. dead on hand held] when I got bake ordered a Garmin Street Pilot , and will not get caught with out them from now on. I use both for geo-caching and travel

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.
Rear Hitch Tow Hook,
750 Watt Inverter,
Cobra 25 WX CB Radio W/ a Cobra HG-M75 Power Mic
Cobra 100 Watt CB Magnet Mount Antenna - HG-A1000
Garmin nuvi 265T