It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This might belong in another area but...

What GPS unit do people use and why?

Looking into one and need some input.

Thanks and please say WHY you bought it.

or

Why you wish you chosen another one.

Thanks

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Garmin

Reasons:
plenty of starter POI's
Can add your own POI's
reliable

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sleeve84028 wrote:
Garmin

Reasons:
plenty of starter POI's
Can add your own POI's
reliable

Thanks,

Any particular model number?

Is that a vehicle unit or a hand held?

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:12 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Thanks for asking Woodys, I have been looking as well, but so many dang models to choose from and then when I think I found what I want I read someone saying it is a POS!
Have even heard some of the marine models are great :roll: :roll:
Maybe need a poll, I want mine to be good on road and off, tell how many MPH, when I am hungry and when its time to stop for a potty break when the wife is along!
Is this too much to ask, and Oh yes for under 50 bucks! :wink: :wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:22 pm 
LOST Member

I agree, Garmin.

Just pick the one that has the options you want for the price you are willing to pay. I have the Garmin StreetPilot C330 and it works good for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I thought about a POLL but i don't know enough about the things much less the different models. Like ya said so darned many. was hoping this would narrow the search a bit.

Besides, if i hang out too long at best buy reading boxes they might get suspescious.

Thanks again all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

i have the nextar s3 or p3 IIRC but i like so far. Santa gave it to me for xmas and it seems to work great. 1.6 mil POI new maps and if i change it to walking mode its supposed to track a 10kmh trail. Havent really figured out how to hook it to the computer yet but its tells me the speed and auto reroutes me if i miss a turn. I think mine is more for onroad but it still works perfect for what i used it for and thast traveling.

2005 RENEGADE 4X4
2.5 RUSTYS LIFT
245/75/16 GOODYEAR MTR'S
FULL TINT
13 MILES TO THE GALLON.....GOD darn HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

Garmin c330

-Received as a gift.
-Model is 1.5-2 years old.
-Practically idiot proof...requires no experience with electronics or GPS in general to use.
-Does NOT say street names, makes not difference to me.
-Works awesome especially in congested North Jersey.
-Sometimes takes you strange routes that one normally would not take to get to a particular location.
*(I've had people question where I was going when I was following the route, because they knew how to get there a different way.)
-I use it to do food deliveries to business and homes and other places where I have no clue where to go.
-Speedometer, Average/Max Speed, Stopped Time, Moving Time are pretty neat features.
-ETA is spot on, 2 hour trip to school accurate within 5-10 min from starting depending on your speed.
-The touch screen is great, much easier than buttons.
-Havn't bought the new map update but still works fine.

-My one gripe...sometimes take a min or two to "Acquire Satellites", and some screen glare (I think this is fixed with the next model up c550.)

-Had one problem with the rubber suction cup mount sticking to the window and leaving rubber behind after
I pried it off...emailed Garmin, sent me a brand new mount and charger for free with no questions asked 50$ value.

-I highly recommend Garmin products and the c330...I've yet to get lost :)

Hope this helps!

-Ryan

Last edited by scull20 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah, I did a lot of research and it also seems like the Garmin StreetPilot c330 is the best band for the buck...no bells and whistles, it does was it supposed to do..

Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow
Al's a-arms gen4.5, Moog LBJs
custom fishing pole roof rack
front hooks & dual hitch receivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have the top of the line Kenwood DVD player with the system that they have that uses Garmen parts. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but loads of signal and works great with the huge 7" screen and since it is my stereo no need to mount it. The only draw back is that the GPS box is tucked up in my dash so if i want to get to the CD card slot I have to pull the dash apart which isn't that hard really but its more of a pain getting it back in right. But it was expensive for the whole set up but works amazing, and folds down back in when you turn it off so its not like you advertising it to someone that walks by your window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Garmin 250W. Simple and dependable.

NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would like this moved back to the General section. Simply because it think this is valuable info for the general mambership and may not get any attention here.

I do agree that if it was about a specific GPS topic then here is good, but it is pretty general, so can we put it back in GENERAL,

PLEASE?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went with the Garmin 60cs a couple of years ago. I wanted something for hiking, atving and in the car, basically a good all around portable unit. I've been happy with it, no problems what so ever.

Semper Fi

Post subject: Garmin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350
great on trips is a little costly but if you look around you can usauall find a good deal on one for around $325 - $350 I got mine in Dec when circuit city had it on sale for $299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

depends on what you want to do with it. Geocaching/hiking/offroad probably a handheld unit with a car mount. If You just want street navigation than something else completely. Either way you can't go wrong with a Garmin. Garmin also has excellent customer service UNLIKE Magellan which is non-existent :x . What do I own? glad you asked :lol: I bought a DeLorme PN-20 handheld but I use it almost entirely for Geocaching and hiking. Good luck with the hunt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 pm 
Master of the Blender

I currently use a Garmin GPS V in my Jeep for offroad trips, I like the fact that I can download the track info to my computer and display it in Google Earth. With the newer street versions (c330,c530, etc) there is no option to record your track info or any way to get the location info (NMEA string) from the GPS. If I had it to do again I would have two choices: a mouse/puck type GPS attached to a laptop or a Lowrance Baja 540c, which allows you to upload/download map, waypoint and track info on an SD card to use on your computer or transfer to another similar unit. I would still have a handheld unit but not necessarily the V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:46 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

my DeLorme allows me to take my tracks and convert them to routes on my topo map software. pretty cool stuff, mapping out your day when out hiking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 pm 
LOST Addict

I use a Garmin Vista CX. It is perfect for geocaching and hunting, what I use it for, and it also works well in the car, provided you have downloaded the city/street maps. It is small, really easy to use, customizable, long battery life, big screen (relatively), portable, waterproof (won't float), expandable memory, and USB connection. I have zero complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought a Garmin C330 for my wife, who is about as tech-savvy as a rock! She loves it and mastered all it's features in no time! Needless to say I was dually impressed with it's ease of use and it's accuracy to boot. I would not recommend it for geocacing however due to it's bulkiness in hand and poor battery life for this type of activity. My wifes is hardwired, so battery life isn't an issue. I personally use a Garmin GPSMap 76S for geocaching and hiking. I wouldn't buy a Magellan as I feel they are more "consumer" (soccer-mom) grade versus Garmin which are meant for use outdoors in rugged environments. Many models, including mine, actually float and are completely waterproof, to a point obviously, but accidental drops into the lake won't damage it. Battery life is oustanding as well and so is the clarity of the screen under bright or dim lights. It has a light on it for night use to which switches itself off after a specified time so as not to drain the battery more rapidly then necessary. It's easy to use and VERY customizable so you can fit it to any activity or situation. Go Garmin and stay away from the "My first GPS" Magellan stuff.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:58 am 
LOST Addict

Garmin Nuvi line is where you need to be shopping if you are looking for a road model.

TomTom is a consideration if you want as their equipment has improved as well. However, I still recommend Garmin based on experience and reputation. Of courese that doesn't mean you shouldn't shop around.

Also check out this site: GPS Passion That site will have plenty of information relating to each particular model you are considering.

My Garmin Nuvi350

When I say maps updated every two years - I should have added that you have to pay for the map pack update. The current cost is $75.00 but I feel this is a great feature since you can keep your GPS updated as time goes on.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks