It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: packing light
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm a long time road warrior, like to fit a weeks worth of stuff into my carry-on. Needless to say I'm always looking for ways to lighten up camping gear as well as all the stuff I pack into the jeep for a road trip. Here's a couple of tips I have found work very well.

Eliminate the dishes - take a cup and a spoon
- We use plastic 2 cup measuring cups. good size and can server multiple purposes
- spoon works great, or you can get a spork from a lot of camping supply places (or even The Bell)
Eliminate the pots and pans, - use turkey roasting bags. One kettle or pot to boil water
-- almost everything we cook when we go backpacking is dried/ dehydrated, so everything is premixed in a turkey bag and all we have to do is add hot water.
-- Serving is easy either ladle out what you need, or just cut a corner off the bag and pour it out.
-- Serving from the bag maximizes use, in fact we strive to eat everything we cook so we don't have anything to dump, nothing to attract bears.
-- nothing to cleanup, just roll up the turkey bag.

We find most of the dehydrated foods lack a lot of protein so we bring tuna or chicken in the foil pouches or jerky will do fine as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good stuff..... Exactly what this section needs.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Love it! Thanks for posting this. I am always trying to figure out how to get more use out of the limited cargo space.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:44 am 
Also, try eating raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Not only are they good for you but you don't need to cook any of it.
The trail mix is another good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Always looking for ways to reduce everything, Thank you for the sugestions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

mrkake wrote:
I am always trying to figure out how to get more use out of the limited cargo space.

Are we car camping here? If so, I'd like to know what some of you are packing into your KJ's that result in losing cargo space? :shock:

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, I consider myself an expert in low impact / backpacking in places where you must leave the Jeep behind to reach your destination. I will be happy to offer tips and recommendations to those who might appreciate this. Just let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CrossBones wrote:
Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, I consider myself an expert in low impact / backpacking in places where you must leave the Jeep behind to reach your destination. I will be happy to offer tips and recommendations to those who might appreciate this. Just let me know.

Start a thread on the subject in this forum. Sounds like it could be useful advice for those that hike.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Are we car camping here? If so, I'd like to know what some of you are packing into your KJ's that result in losing cargo space?

Let me see..............5hp outboard motor for my prtabote. Front, middle, and rear seat for portabote. Stern, oars, and wheels to move said boat to the water. Rods, reels, and tackle. Gasoline for the outboard, Depthfinder, Clothes, Exhaust Jack, air compressor, and cooler. I keep the food in the camper.

Sadly, at THIS poiint, I don't have room for beer. :( Since the boat is 12ft. long, it sits on top of the Jeep.
Now, in fairness, that doesn't sound like a LOT of stuff, and it's not. The problem is, it takes up a LOT of space. :shock:

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Jar of peanut butter fits under the drivers seat really well, what else do you need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Jar of peanut butter fits under the drivers seat really well, what else do you need?

Crackers to help spread it on the fender flares? :lol:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: How to pack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How you pack your backpack can be just as important as how much weight is in it. Think of your backpack as a lever, the longer the lever (i.e. the further away from your back), the more torque an item can create. Heavier items should be placed nearer to your back, in the bottom of your pack. That way your hips bear the weight instead of your shoulders. Compressions sacks, and the compression straps on your backpack, should be utilized to pull the weight in your backpack as close to your body as possible.

Proper backpack fit is critical. The hipbelt should rest about an inch above the top of your hip bones (iliac crest for your medically inclined people). The tensioner straps (keep tension on the top of shoulder straps). Should form a 45 degree angle with the shoulder straps. The chest strap should fit comfortable across your chest.

What I look for in a good pack:

1. COMFORT

2. Waterproof bottom, so you can set it down without worrying about getting your stuff wet.

3. Moisture wicking back panel to pull the sweat off of your back.

4. No pack is waterproof, they are water resistant, so a properly fitted rain cover is a must.

Remember, a pack is an investment, expect to spend at least $200-$300 dollars. Properly maintained they can last a lifetime. My $300 pack has lasted 8 years and still looks almost as good as new, I don't ever expect it to wear out. I've ran into a few old timers on the trails that had packs 20-25 years old that were still in good shape.

I recommend Gregory internal frame packs.