It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilderness Backpacking and Camping
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

To city dwellers, stepping into a wilderness setting for the first time is an entirely new, nearly foreign experience. Wilderness lands are not theme parks. Out here, there are no handrails, no water fountains, no flush toilets, no snack bars, no trash cans, no cheery attendants directing you to your next attraction. You are on your own, completely dependent on your individual skills, energy and knowledge. If you're careless, you could get hurt, or worse. If complete self-reliance is unappealing to you, think twice before you attempt an overnight trip.

Nature is utterly indifferent to your presence. Roaring wind, searing heat, freak snowstorms, rockslides, idyllic summer afternoons, magnificent sunsets, revelatory moments of stillness and silence - the good and the bad of nature are both present in the backcountry, and it can be difficult to predict which face nature will reveal to you on any given day. The faint presence of danger is what gives backcountry exploration its distinctive appeal. Always be prepared for the unexpected.

Backcountry travel requires a change in thinking and behaving. Wild lands are special, even sacred places. Tread lightly as you travel. Avoid boomboxes, litter, commotion and other byproducts of urbanization. Author John Muir once wrote: "Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter."

Trip planning points to keep in mind:
Stay on established trails; when traveling cross-country, choose to walk on rock or snow rather than soil. Camp in established campsite whenever possible. Dispose of human waste far from water sources and trails. Use a camp stove rather than building fires in order to minimize impact. Keep your food away from wildlife, and never feed animals intentionally; it alters their natural foraging habits.

I highly recommend you avoid going solo on your first overnighter in the woods. Team up with someone who has some backcountry experience, who shares your ambitions (in terms of distance, elevation gains, etc.) and, importantly, who agrees with your idea of a comfortable hiking pace.

Pick a destination. If possible, choose a backcountry area not too far from home, one that involves an established trail, regular visitation and established campsites. Maybe limit your first backcountry excursion to a 1-night stay so you're within a day's walk of an exit point - just in case things aren't working out.

Think ahead. Research and select a trip suitable for your skills and conditioning. Consult guidebooks, and confer with the information staff at a ranger station or visitor's center when you secure your permit (which is usually required). Ask about up-to-date trail conditions. If, for example, you're hiking in the Sierras, ask about bear activity. Some Sierra backcountry camping sites have "bear boxes" for storing food. Is your chosen site equipped with one? Or will you be required to carry a bear-resistant food container? Educate yourself about wilderness food storage techniques before you go.

On most backpacking trips, especially those planned by beginners, compass navigation is seldom necessary. Simply following the trail carefully and checking your map from time to time should get you from campsite to campsite safely. But knowing how to use a map and compass is still very important for all backpackers. Because if you get lost, or you have to cross an area of land without trails, your map and compass may be the only tools that can get you back to camp safely. To find out more about basic map and compass navigation, buy and read a basic navigation book. These are available at better backpacking stores or your local library. Although I recommend buying the book. The more you learn before you start backpacking, the safer you will be!

I also recommend you prepare by doing some local day hikes before the Big Event to acquaint yourself with walking in wilderness terrain. Break in your boots prior to your overnight jaunt. Blisters can literally stop you in your tracks far from a trailhead. Seek out updated weather forecasts.

Gear up. Refer to my checklist to consider what items your particular trip will require. Print it out. Relax: You won't need everything my (or any) checklist mentions, but it will help you plan so you don't leave behind any items important to you.

Pack out what you pack in!! That's a familiar old bromide that still rings true, right along with "Take only pictures, leave only footprints," and "Only you can prevent forest fires." In the wilderness, no one comes along and cleans up after you. You must take responsibility for all your actions. Leave no lasting impact on the land. Make sure people coming behind you can enjoy the same sensations of peacefulness and beauty that you experienced.

Make it fun. That's the whole point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thats a good thing to have for the inexperienced camper to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am 
LOST Member

An additional thought is wilderness medicine:
Any pre-existing medical condition needs to be planned for carefully, as in enough medication, etc.
Just 2 hours hike into the wilderness translates into multiple hours worth of "extraction" time in case of an incapacitating emergency.
I have been leading backpacking trips in the northeast for about 10 years, and have had all sorts of things crop up, including life-threatening emergencies where we had to coordinate with emergency personnel to get the injured hiker out of the woods. The old Boy Scout adage of "Be Prepared" definitely applies.
Not intending to scare folks, but proper gear, clothing, and food/water are critical.
And absolutely nothing compares to watching the sunset from the top of a mountain out in the wild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:34 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Something else to consider is, depending on where you are going, you may not have cell phone coverage. Make sure you let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back. Then also give them a cutoff time: "If you haven't heard from me by "X", contact "Y" at "Z" number." Most people will think that you may have extended your trip a little if you aren't back by the time you had planned and will delay contacting search and rescue for up to 24 hours. If you are incapcitated in the backcountry, 24 hours could mean the difference between life and death. There is a diving addage that applies to any wilderness excursion: Plan your dive, then dive your plan.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very good information!

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="KW AV8R"]Something else to consider is, depending on where you are going, you may not have cell phone coverage. Make sure you let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back. Then also give them a cutoff time: "If you haven't heard from me by "X", contact "Y" at "Z" number." Most people will think that you may have extended your trip a little if you aren't back by the time you had planned and will delay contacting search and rescue for up to 24 hours. If you are incapcitated in the backcountry, 24 hours could mean the difference between life and death. There is a diving addage that applies to any wilderness excursion: Plan your dive, then dive your plan.[/quote

other than water, food, appropriate clothing, first aid kit, yes communications is important. cell phones don't work every where and having a backup plan is a good idea. I would recommend getting your ham radio license. it's a easy yet, no morse code required anymore for the basic test, it cost like $12 and a basic ham radio is just over $120 new. very very rare where you have no repeaters that you can hit. I'm not sure even in my remote areas I have been that I could not have hit one. I did not take mine as my outfitter had a emergency radio setup. (boundary waters)

Lifted by JEEPIN BY AL - Get yours by following my link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Also, if you happen to have a GPS you must still be knowledgeable of basic map reading and navigation skills with a compass. While a GPS can be a valuable tool, it could possibly breakdown or be lost. A plain old compass and a map can be invaluable if you know how to use them.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

Post subject: Re: Wilderness Backpacking and Camping
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CrossBones wrote:
Author John Muir once wrote: "Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness..."

... and into the gut of a grizzly bear. :lol: