It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boaters?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just wondering if there are any boater's here? Especially from the Great Lakes region? I cruise and play with a 42' SeaRay Sundancer on Lake Michigan out of northern Illinois. I generally spend considerable time cruising from Winthrop Harbor, IL up towards and around Door County, Wisconsin. I've also cruised over to the east-side along the state of Michigan. I have yet to leave Lake Michigan.

I am looking forward to boating season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm 
I live here
I live here

Sweet boat! Mr. Moneybags! That must have cost you a bundle. Try some of the other Great Lakes.

I have been interested in getting a boat after my KJ is paid off at the end of summer. Trying to decide on a party barge or a boat like yours but half the size. Not much space for big fast boats in Colorado. A nice party barge would be great to have friends party and camp up in the bigger mountain lakes.

Then again, I am also looking at doing a MAJOR modification to my KJ and it isn't an SFA swap but may cost just as much.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 pm 

Here is my last one, does it count?

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

those are both very beautiful boats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 pm 
I live here
I live here

Don't have me post my, ummmm..... former boat....err, ship on here. Nothing gets bigger or more powerful.......for a few more years.

USS Dwight D Eisenhower CVN-69

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:59 pm 

Tokyojoe wrote:
Don't have me post my, ummmm..... former boat....err, ship on here. Nothing gets bigger or more powerful.......for a few more years.

Oh I had six to choose from, just picked the latest one. Did the Kennedy, Washington, Stennis, Spruance, Gettysburg, and the Rentz.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:07 am 
LOST Addict

Tokyojoe wrote:

Joe PMed a pic of his latest adventure on his boat. Sweet ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe; Boating can be a expensive hobby regardless of size. This boat is the second I've owned. I went from a trailered boat to a slip docked craft and again, regardless of size obviously the bigger you go, the more it costs to operate. Especially if you're like me and don''t have the luxury of both a private slip and year-round in-water conditions. So take all things into consideration when choosing a boat. Personally when it comes to recreation, I live for boating season. I am generally on the water as much as possible during the summer.

daspes; actually that's 'our' boat. ha.ha... but only if you're the Skipper, would it count. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:47 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Wow! That is a beautiful Sundancer!!

We spend a lot of time on the water around here too. Take a look at VA Beach on a map and you'll see why. There's more water than land around here. Sometimes I fly in and wonder how in the world we actually live here.

My current water toys:
1. Morey Bodyboard (seen leaning against rear tire with my fins)
b. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 13T (tandem, sit-on-top, 13' kayak, seen on the roof [it's the orange one])

2. Wenonah Prospector 16 (tandem white-water canoe) (this is not a picture of mine, I'll post that later...it looks funny on the truck because the canoe is 3' longer than the Jeep)

3. Ocean Kayak Scrambler

4. Cobra Strike (sit-on-top surf-rider) (it's the red one on the roof)

5. We are currently rebuilding a 1979 Catalina 30' sail boat.

My father-in-law was a member of a boat club where we could take out any number of boats, but he didn't re-up that membership this year, so we're looking for a nice deck-boat. We really love the Searay Sundeck, but there are a couple other options out there that we're looking at too.

Just a teaser for me to stare at while we're shopping and waiting for the warm weather to come back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks dog_party. My first boat was a 210 Sundeck. A great boat. Which is why I went Searay this time around too. I looked at Fountains but got such a great deal on this Sundancer I couldn't pass on it.

I've always appreciated sailboats and yours looks like a nice one.

As for Virginia Beach, I've been there. My youngest nephew was stationed with the Navy at Oceana. I really liked the area, especially Sandbridge.

You'll have to post pics when you get that Catalina in the water. And if your father-in-law buys a power boat too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1996 Polaris SL780, sold after one season.

then bought 1996 Yamaha Waverunner 1100, sold it after one season also, but it was a pretty fast ski I hit 60mph on it once.

now I ride this bad boy, I think its a 2007 Sea Doo RXP 215, 4 cylinders with a supercharger putting out 215hp, it'll do 70mph fairly easy, I ride that one and we have another Sea Doo but its not nearly as fast and then we also have a boat but I cant remember what model all I can remember is that it has TWO 454 motors!

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

Here's my new addition, given to us by my father-in-law last summer. Had it out on the water once, just to prove it floats ;-)

It's a 1965 Peterborough Fury, best as I can tell, with the original West Bend motor - needs some work, but we're hoping to enjoy it on the water again one day!

For now the water is still a little hard...

Last edited by KeswickDave on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 am 
LOST Member

I had a 1979 Catalina 22 for two summers that I had to sell about 5 years ago. She was a great little boat that I mostly used it for day trips but when ever I had the chance I would take an overnight weekend trip. I really miss dropping the hook, BBQing off the back, a few beers, a cigar, watching the sun set and the stars coming out and the best sleep I've ever had was on that boat while rocking with the waves on the hook. She was able to take a beating too - I managed to do 1/2 of a race before I had to drop out (blew both my jib blocks in a 35 knt winds gusting to 45 with 3-5’ waves which are giant for a 22’ boat.) We were the smallest boat on the course and the end result was 2 MOBs (both recovered,) 1 knock down, 1 broken mast, 3 blown out sails. Only 20 boats out of 115 finished.

Dog Party - that 30' Catalina is nice. A friend of mine had a 28' with a swing keel that was great, I'm sure the 30' with fixed keel has got to be a nice balanced boat.

Currently I have a 17.5' Dagger Tandem Kayak that I picked up used last summer. We've used that at various protected coves on Long Island and brought it with us on a trip to Bar Harbor, ME. It hangs almost directly over the hood and about 5' behind the Jeep. Oddly enough my mpg's improve when I have it on the roof and I don't even have a cover for the cockpit.

Oh, I also have a 10' Walker Bay dinghy that I need to sell. I haven't used it but once since I sold the Catalina. At the time I was still hopeful that I'd get another boat.

'04 Liberty Limited - 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT's, Mopar tow hooks, Draw-Tite Class IV hitch, Skid Row Engine & Transmission Skids, Mopar T-Case & Gas Tank Skids, Extended Breather Tubes, Red Top Optima, Sylvania Silver Star head lights, Hella 500FF bumper mounted driving lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Inc wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:

Joe PMed a pic of his latest adventure on his boat. Sweet ride.

Leave it to you. :-)r

btw; oddball's boat is sweet. I've been on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:29 pm 
Bush Hunter

It's my dads, but he wants a new one soon. I may get it from him.

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KeswickDave wrote:
Here's my new addition, given to us by my father-in-law last summer. Had it out on the water once, just to prove it floats ;-)

It's a 1965 Peterborough Fury, best as I can tell, with the original West Bend motor - needs some work, but we're hoping to enjoy it on the water again one day!

I don't know about the rest of you but I always appreciate a classic boat no matter what type or style.

Post subject: Re: Boaters?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

We got a 240 Sundeck with a 7.4 Mercruiser I/O motor

I bought a (early 90s) Yamaha FX1 about a year ago, used it for 3 weeks and then i had a bad experience with it...got pulled over by the cops on the lake at 8:30 (it was night, but how else was i supposed to get back to my truck..so the P's sold it and gave me the $ :P

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

Wow, way to bring this back from the dead! :frankie:

I have two Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100's. Kayaks are cool (not as cool as Oddball's yacht though :shock: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not mine for much longer. I am selling it to my son-in-law.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

oddball wrote:
Not mine for much longer. I am selling it to my son-in-law.

Sheesh... my father-in-law GAVE me his boat... :wink:

(probably because it was cheaper than taking it to the dump... haha... I should fix that picture above, didn't do a thing with it this summer unfortunately!)

Dave