It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What tent to buy ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:41 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

OK I have went through the wanting a RTT, but the ones I want are 1500/2000 and also would have to remove it each time I got home due to not getting into the garage, and also needing a different roof rack for it to bolt to

Then went to building a purpose built trailer with an RTT on top, someday but not for me right now as I would have 5 to 6000 in it by the time I am done

SO,....leaves me with what type of tent to get that will be
1) easy to sit up for one person
2) big enough for a cot and also a chair or two if its raining / etc.
3) Heavy enough for some cooler weather if need be but light weight enough to haul on the roof rack.
4) Canopy out front would be nice as well
5) want something tall enough that I can stand up in and pull my pants on or change clothes without the hassle of being all bent over ( too old for that anymore!

Right now my lists include a
A) OZ TENT RV2 www.oztent.com
B) Springbar Campsite 3 tent www.springbartent.com

any other suggestions?

Also will be getting the Springbar Auto Canopy easy setup on the side of the KJ and provide some shade protection while out
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have been entertaining the tail gate tent for awhile it's not really anymore expensive than a good quality non-vehicle tent, it looks like it would just roll and fold back up into a tent sack like normal stuff

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/liberty/Mo ... C2875.aspx

are they any good? i typically sleep in the jeep, or use my 2 person dome but i understand the necessary comfort issues, im starting to get to the point where sleeping on the ground is pretty uncomfortable

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:40 pm 

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
i have been entertaining the tail gate tent for awhile it's not really anymore expensive than a good quality non-vehicle tent, it looks like it would just roll and fold back up into a tent sack like normal stuff

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/liberty/Mo ... C2875.aspx

are they any good? i typically sleep in the jeep, or use my 2 person dome but i understand the necessary comfort issues, im starting to get to the point where sleeping on the ground is pretty uncomfortable

Yes as you get older the idea of a good nights sleep on the ground becomes less entertaining :roll: :roll:
I built a flat floor for mine and have slept in the back before and had one of the Liberty tents that attached to the rear but it did not attach right due to how high mine is now, plus the hassle of backing up to it and securing it to the Liberty, then if you want to leave the campsite , unhook etc. so I sold it.
I have a two person dome as well, but just not big enough for what I want :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 pm 
LOST Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVIQbUWHZk

that made up my mind... what an awesome looking and performing tent. imagine how cool it would look next to all the cookie cutter wal-mart tents.. plus it seems to be a breeze to set up. a little costly but i've learned you get what you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As for the OZ tent, it appears to be a great tent, for what it is. Keep in mind, if you're actually looking for a tent that will 'attach' to the rear of your Liberty, the swing-away rear door and uplift glass window could be a hindrance especially if you were to seal it up against the rear during inclement weather. Note, if you watched the video, they never sealed it up against that SUV with the rear door open.

Aside from that, if you've never owned a single-wall tent, you will need that optional rain fly because all single-wall tents build up condensation on the inside of the tent walls. In the most extreme conditions, the rainfly will cut down condensation but will not eliminate it altogether.

Otherwise, if I find a need to have that style of tent, I would buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Weathermaster® 3-Room Tent - 17´ x 9´

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... 2000000145

This is what my wife and I use when we camp. Ours is "field and stream" though. I usually put it up by myself while wife does the housekeeping end of things after it is up (eg. rearranges the inside). Ours actually has three small compartments off the main square not two as show in the pix on the web. On one of our trips, my wife and I slept on a queen sized blow up mattress with three teenagers each having large army cots. We put a large rug on the floor to keep the cot legs from punching through. When it is me and the wife, it still is not too big since we are able to keep everything in the tent nice and dry :D . We had it for about 5 years without any problems. Bought it at SAM's CLUB for I believe $150. We mostly sleep in the summertime but I would not hesitate to sleep in the fall or early spring. Mostly the warmth would come from the type of sleeping bag you use. Our tent also has a screened opening in the midde so the moisture escapes easily. Also can use a small portable heater if needed. I did notice you perfer an awning and although this doesn't have one, putting a tarp across the top with poles would not be too difficult to do. Hope this helps.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:25 pm 

oddball wrote:
As for the OZ tent, it appears to be a great tent, for what it is. Keep in mind, if you're actually looking for a tent that will 'attach' to the rear of your Liberty, the swing-away rear door and uplift glass window could be a hindrance especially if you were to seal it up against the rear during inclement weather. Note, if you watched the video, they never sealed it up against that SUV with the rear door open.

Aside from that, if you've never owned a single-wall tent, you will need that optional rain fly because all single-wall tents build up condensation on the inside of the tent walls. In the most extreme conditions, the rainfly will cut down condensation but will not eliminate it altogether.

Otherwise, if I find a need to have that style of tent, I would buy one.

Don't really want one that is against the Liberty tried that and did not like it. Know about single wall tents and condensation and not worried about that have went from tents back in the 70s to pull types to motorhomes and now back to tents due to price of gas and only me going :wink: no sense taking the kitchen sink anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 pm 

To_The_Max wrote:
Weathermaster® 3-Room Tent - 17´ x 9´

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... 2000000145

This is what my wife and I use when we camp. Ours is "field and stream" though. I usually put it up by myself while wife does the housekeeping end of things after it is up (eg. rearranges the inside). Ours actually has three small compartments off the main square not two as show in the pix on the web. On one of our trips, my wife and I slept on a queen sized blow up mattress with three teenagers each having large army cots. We put a large rug on the floor to keep the cot legs from punching through. When it is me and the wife, it still is not too big since we are able to keep everything in the tent nice and dry :D . We had it for about 5 years without any problems. Bought it at SAM's CLUB for I believe $150. We mostly sleep in the summertime but I would not hesitate to sleep in the fall or early spring. Mostly the warmth would come from the type of sleeping bag you use. Our tent also has a screened opening in the midde so the moisture escapes easily. Also can use a small portable heater if needed. I did notice you perfer an awning and although this doesn't have one, putting a tarp across the top with poles would not be too difficult to do. Hope this helps.

Tim

Nice tent Tim for sure , little bigger than what I need but forgot about looking at Colemans, had one a long time ago , but it burnt up, long....funny ....story, in a way :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 am 
I live here
I live here

I can't get the OZtent USA link to work. I wonder if that dealer went down.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:14 am 
LOST Addict

Tokyojoe wrote:

X2. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:27 am 

Tokyojoe wrote:

from what I can gather over on Expedition Portal yes they went out of business or I mean stopped handeling OZ tents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Take a look at the Kelty tents. I have a smaller one, but one of the Basecamp Shiro models might fit the needs you listed.

http://www.kelty.com

Shiro 6 listing says, "three-room camping complex features a middle unit for storing bikes and camping equipment, two removable sleeping compartments, and an attachable carport."

Another good place to look is Campmor or REI. Almost everything in my camping gear pile came from these two companies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm 
LOST Addict

dog_party wrote:
Take a look at the Kelty tents. I have a smaller one, but one of the Basecamp Shiro models might fit the needs you listed.

Shiro 6 listing says, "three-room camping complex features a middle unit for storing bikes and camping equipment, two removable sleeping compartments, and an attachable carport."

Another good place to look is Campmor or REI. Almost everything in my camping gear pile came from these two companies.

Sorry, without trying to completely derail this thread, I just gotta say, I used to shop at REI until I found they donate quite a large bit of money to promote land closures to off road vehicles, namely our beloved jeeps. I try and spend my money elsewhere now. Back on topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:49 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Inc wrote:
dog_party wrote:

Sorry, without trying to completely derail this thread, I just gotta say, I used to shop at REI until I found they donate quite a large bit of money to promote land closures to off road vehicles, namely our beloved jeeps. I try and spend my money elsewhere now. Back on topic.

Wow, I had never heard that before. I'll have to do some research on that before they get anymore of my money. Thanks for the heads-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 pm 

Inc wrote:
dog_party wrote:

I have read the same thing , used to buy a few things from them but not anymore :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh and Tom, check you PMs. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I was going to get one of these because they were like half of what the other RTT tents were and they are very lightweight and easy to store. The fact that the manufacturer is french gave me pause.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here you go Tom, small Light weight, easy to put up and very different!

You can use a tree for one side and the Libby for the other. 8)

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

doubles as a bath tub, covered garbage recepticle, dish washer, kite and comes with a free bottle of motrin for your back ache if you accidentally fall asleep in it

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am 
I live here
I live here

And if a bear comes along, your arse is all his....literally.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military