It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which backpacking Stove?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

I am starting to collect some gear for my first backpacking adventure this spring. I plan to do 1 or 2, long weekend trips locally before a 7 to 10 day trip this summer. I am pretty well set on which pack to get and have a ton of base camping gear already but I have never bought a lightweight trail stove before. I am wondering if anyone here has any input on which one to buy or which brands to look at/stay away from. Any input is appreciated.

-Up Next: Lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm 
LOST Addict

The jetboil setup works well and is very reliable. It's probably the easiest one I've used... followed by an auto igniting gigapower

Honestly a canister stove is probably going to be the easiest for weekend backpacking. You eliminate the chances of fuell leakage/spilling and you can't set the things on fire like a traditiional stove. No o-rings or seals to worry about either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I too would recommend the Jetboil personal system. It boils water in just over 2 minutes, is lightweight and small. The only con's are it's not the greatest stove in cold climates and the temp control lacks. You will either boil hot water fast, or faster. Aside from that, using small fuel cannisters makes the unti somewhat unstable. There is a tree hanging kit option available.

Another stove you can't go wrong with is the MSR Pocket Rocket. I've used this stove as well. And it works great. Only one con, if you use large pots (2QT), you need to anchor the stove. The pots can become wobbly at times. Otherwise, this stove has never let me down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I also have a pocket rocket. Had the same one for more than 3 years now. very simple and lightweight. fairly cheap. I always have a frisbee to use as a base. multitask. oh and some type of wind shield helps. I have a disposable cookie sheet or tin foil dish of sorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

I have been impressed by the Jetboil also.
But I have a MSR Whisperlite.
Simple, functional, easy to field strip and repair.
I don't like not being able to fix a failure out in the woods, 'cause eating raw stuff doesn't suit me anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I used to use the Whisperlite, but it is heavier than I wanted so I bought a snowpeak giga stove and I love it. Weight was the only issue for me with the MSR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the MSR SimmerLite ... love it! Can wait to get my canoe in the water!

If you want a small bit of luxury (maybe I'm getting old) do yourself a huge favour and pick up one of those cheap solar showers , basically a black sided, thick plastic bag with a hose and small shower head .. Sit that baby in the sun for a few hours in the meantime find yourself a nice flat rock place between willing pines if your really fancy a tarp and some bungies make an excellent wind break, string your shower up btwn the trees and ...ahhhhhhh nothing quite like a day 3 afternoon shower in the forest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 am 
LOST Junkie

I like http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85279

Or you could DIY and go alcohol... http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I like Jetboil. I also carry a plan old metal cup to use on the fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I love the Jetboil too. One caveat: The piezo igniter is prone to failure. The one that came with the stove cracked and would no longer light after a few uses. I replaced it and the second one was toast, also after just a few uses. I was very careful with that second one and I know it didn't crack from handling. It just gets too hot and gets brittle. Always carry waterproof matches as a backup.

2002 KJ (un)Limited 4x4: OME HD lift, ARB bullbar, Warn 4X flood lights, Skid Row tranny skid, Mopar engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids, Boulder Bars, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Moab wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

jeepskate wrote:
I love the Jetboil too. One caveat: The piezo igniter is prone to failure. The one that came with the stove cracked and would no longer light after a few uses. I replaced it and the second one was toast, also after just a few uses. I was very careful with that second one and I know it didn't crack from handling. It just gets too hot and gets brittle. Always carry waterproof matches as a backup.

The piezo on my snow peak has been fine. Is it a Jetboil specific issue or the ignitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think it's a Jetboil design issue. I have no scientific evidence, but I went through two of those igniters really fast, and I've seen other people who have reviewed the product on REI.com who also had problems. Both times when it broke I had had food simmering in the pot for 15 or 20 mins The igniter sits right under the flame and I suspect it just gets too hot in that situation, whereas brief use to boil water isn't a problem. It was 10 bucks or so to replace them, so I stopped doing that and just use matches.

2002 KJ (un)Limited 4x4: OME HD lift, ARB bullbar, Warn 4X flood lights, Skid Row tranny skid, Mopar engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids, Boulder Bars, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Moab wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:51 pm 
LOST Addict

jeepskate wrote:
I think it's a Jetboil design issue. I have no scientific evidence, but I went through two of those igniters really fast, and I've seen other people who have reviewed the product on REI.com who also had problems. Both times when it broke I had had food simmering in the pot for 15 or 20 mins The igniter sits right under the flame and I suspect it just gets too hot in that situation, whereas brief use to boil water isn't a problem. It was 10 bucks or so to replace them, so I stopped doing that and just use matches.

Sounds like it would cause a problem, waterproof/windproof matches are a must either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Sounds like it would cause a problem, waterproof/windproof matches are a must either way.

Definitely. Low-tech is good sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:49 am 
LOST Member

If you can get them, lifeboat matches are the best.
The match-head is enormous, so when struck/ignited, the burst of flame continues long enough to withstand a sustained wind and still light a fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:43 pm 
LOST Addict

I vote for Jetboil. Compact. FAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
I vote for Jetboil. Compact. FAST!

All of these little lightweight stoves are basically just small rocket motors... I had an old MSR Whisperlite that was somehow non-standard and would boil water faster than anyone else's stoves (including the winter-type XGRs)... the downside was the whole thing would turn cherry-red in a very short time.
My only beef with the Jetboils has been the package as a whole not doing well. Had a first-time backpacker a couple of hikes back who more or less melted his pot cover on that set... just boiling water.
Just get the stove that meets your needs... without singing your eyebrows off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:30 am 
LOST Member

Sorry I was reading through this section and thought I'd bump up this old thread seeing how it was mildly interesting. I've been using two stoves for the longest time now. When I'm doing summertime or warmer weather camping I usually tote along my old snowpeak giga stove. But if I'm in an area where it's either cold or I'm out for a long period of time and I need to burn multiple fuel sources then I tote along my whisperlite. The only downside is some fuels have a tendency to clog it up pretty quick. I don't care what the box says it's not self cleaning :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 pm 
LOST Member

I carry and use
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/Store/MG/item/400701/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/N/0
I love it and it has worked when I am solo or with a family of 4 along for the hike.

Jason

Post subject: Re: Which backpacking Stove?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:49 am 
LOST Junkie

Alcoho fueled Trangia for summer, with the Optimus Nova multi-fuel conversion for Winter.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails